ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Nudes with my best and worst lenses

A couple of weeks ago it was the Open Day at the association where I do most of my nudes. There was a short shooting and the President (Jean Turco) did us one of his lighting setups. As usual I went along with my worst lens (Nikon 18-200VR) because it gives me a wide variety of shots and in the studio at f11 it's giving it's best.

Inspired by this I signed up for one of Mr Turco's courses. I've already done one and I didn't get it right at all. When he sets up the model and the lighting it's very precise and you have to be very rigourous in your framing and positioning or it doesn't work. I read his book beforehand. I visited his site. I went along with almost the same equipment as he uses, including my best lens (28-70 f2.8). And I got it right.

Afterwards it was hours of work in the lab at 100% to remove skin defects etc. And I noticed that there is absolutely no difference between my best lens and my worst lens at least at 100%. Perhaps in the tones..

Can you tell which was done with which lens?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nudes with my best and worst lenses-4473-095.jpg   Nudes with my best and worst lenses-4472-093.jpg  
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Nudes with my best and worst lenses

I would say the one on the left or the first one is the better lens, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Correct. Looking at it here it's what I would say too. It didn't come over in a large print. I may have to look at my technique again. Plus it really make me want to use my best lenses more.

You could also guess from what I said earlier. Mr Turco likes square images so when I did the course I left enough space to crop down to a square image. However on the open day I was framing tightly with the 18-200 as usual.

It was very interesting to do the course. Quite different from my usual approach. Here's Jean Turco's website for those who are interested:

http://www.jeanturco.fr/
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

At f/11, in BW and at this web resolution, it is practically impossible to tell. Both are very well done and composed, outstanding light detail. Thanks for posting the info.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

My biggest problem with your work is either you don't do enough of it or share enough of it here. I always look forward to your post, nice stuff.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Both are very nice!

Thread Information