• 10-15-2011, 01:36 PM
    Franglais
    2 Attachment(s)
    Nudes with my best and worst lenses
    A couple of weeks ago it was the Open Day at the association where I do most of my nudes. There was a short shooting and the President (Jean Turco) did us one of his lighting setups. As usual I went along with my worst lens (Nikon 18-200VR) because it gives me a wide variety of shots and in the studio at f11 it's giving it's best.

Inspired by this I signed up for one of Mr Turco's courses. I've already done one and I didn't get it right at all. When he sets up the model and the lighting it's very precise and you have to be very rigourous in your framing and positioning or it doesn't work. I read his book beforehand. I visited his site. I went along with almost the same equipment as he uses, including my best lens (28-70 f2.8). And I got it right.

Afterwards it was hours of work in the lab at 100% to remove skin defects etc. And I noticed that there is absolutely no difference between my best lens and my worst lens at least at 100%. Perhaps in the tones..

Can you tell which was done with which lens?
  • 10-15-2011, 01:41 PM
    Grandpaw
    Re: Nudes with my best and worst lenses
    I would say the one on the left or the first one is the better lens, Jeff
  • 10-15-2011, 02:10 PM
    Franglais
    Correct. Looking at it here it's what I would say too. It didn't come over in a large print. I may have to look at my technique again. Plus it really make me want to use my best lenses more.

You could also guess from what I said earlier. Mr Turco likes square images so when I did the course I left enough space to crop down to a square image. However on the open day I was framing tightly with the 18-200 as usual.

It was very interesting to do the course. Quite different from my usual approach. Here's Jean Turco's website for those who are interested:

http://www.jeanturco.fr/
  • 10-16-2011, 03:18 PM
    Anbesol
    At f/11, in BW and at this web resolution, it is practically impossible to tell. Both are very well done and composed, outstanding light detail. Thanks for posting the info.
  • 10-23-2011, 08:01 AM
    Greg McCary
    My biggest problem with your work is either you don't do enough of it or share enough of it here. I always look forward to your post, nice stuff.
  • 10-26-2011, 01:05 PM
    mattb
    Both are very nice!