ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question Not my normal type of shoot - portrait ?

Curious as to what you portrait photographers think about this one. Normally I do not do this kind of photography. I don't have a studio so I used what was at hand, in this case a tree in their back yard with a rope the kids climb.
    This was shot with my Canon 28-300 USM IS.

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not my normal type of shoot - portrait ?-102905-009.jpg  

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Re: Not my normal type of shoot - portrait ?

That's a very cute photo, John. Your skills don't stop at shooting sports and nature.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

VEry well done! I prob might have off centred her a bit more to the left. I've added some in the "youth" thread to see what I mean. I like portraits in the 'rule of thirds'. placing the subject directly in the centre looks a bit odd to me. But lovely shot!! What lens did you use? Or was that the 28-300?

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not bad...

It's interesting when we make a move out of our shooting comfort zone. I know I'm a complete mess when I try to shoot sports, especially action ones, which I know is your specialty...

Your shot is pretty good, the most important thing being the natural expression you captured. I'm not crazy about the light patch going across her face, but I doubt any casual viewers would even notice that. The way to deal with it would be to shoot from a spot more around to the right, so she was more backlit. Then the sunlight would "rim" her hair, leaving her face in even shade.

I also agree the composition could be stronger. I have no problem with her body being centered (left to right) in the frame, but her eyes should be higher up, away from the vertical center. This is where the rule of thirds would come into play. One easy fix would be to crop just a little above the knot of the rope...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Not bad...

Cute kid, cute expression, but the sun on the face was the first thing I noticed. Like Steve said, if you adjust the angle, either hers or yours, you'll loose the sun spots.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thanks everyone!

Hmmm, never thought about the space above her head....although her parents would say she's airhead
    The sun on her face....well we tried to fix that by both of us moving, problem was the background really bites!

Tink, yup the lens is the Canon 28--300mm USM IS

I'm sure I'll get more of her and her brother in the spring....their neighbors

Hmm...

These shots are tough. Unless the subject really has something that you can include in the shot that represents them or what the story is about, you really kind of have to shoot from the hip.

Earlier this year I was asked to photograph a woman who has worked every single election for the last 50 years. When I arrived at her home, she didn't have ANYTHING related to what she does, no ballots, no ballot boxes, nothing. Since it's the property of the state, she couldn't keep any of it. So I listened in while she was interviewed, I spent some time talking to her myself, and I spoke with the writer about the subject of the story.

I learned that this woman had moved here form another country, she showed me books from her homeland, we discussed her childhood, and her first years in this country. I learned that she was very polite, educated, and modest. In her home, there was nothing extravagant, nothing gaudy, just things that reminded her of her family and the country of her origin. Quite simply, there was nothing to use as a prop, no way to illustrate anything about her. So I simply tried to take a photo of her and her environment that captures her well. The editor liked it, she liked it, and her family and friends liked it. Those that know her said I captured her very well.

But is it a good portrait? I just don't think so. I personally don't think it says enough about her. And that is my gripe with your shot. But as you can see, I understand that sometimes you just don't have any control over that.

So what the hell is my point? I guess it's that you should try to do your best to tell the viewer something about the person. Someone with great talent can bring out a smile in a subject that speaks volumes about them. The rest of us have to try harder... I look at your shot and I see a little girl. If I had the story in front of me, maybe it would work better, but I still wonder if there isn't more you could have done to make this image a stronger story about the girl, on its own right.

I can understand if you don't make sense of any of this. I sometimes can't put my thoughts into words too well, so bear with me.

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Sebastian, what a wonderful way to describe how you see a portrait should be. I can really see your passion in your work. I hope you dont mind but may I use your description to look deeper into my own style to create rather than to just photograph. I have been looking for 'me' in photography and have never really found it. This is exactly how I feel with it and would love to be able to explore a lot more.

Thanks so much for your inspiration.
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian

So what the hell is my point? I guess it's that you should try to do your best to tell the viewer something about the person. Someone with great talent can bring out a smile in a subject that speaks volumes about them. The rest of us have to try harder... I look at your shot and I see a little girl. If I had the story in front of me, maybe it would work better, but I still wonder if there isn't more you could have done to make this image a stronger story about the girl, on its own right.

I can understand if you don't make sense of any of this. I sometimes can't put my thoughts into words too well, so bear with me.

Well I guess if you knew her, that the "tree rope" is right at home with her, she's a darn monkey and climbs everything, and spends hours on this rope as well. I also got a couple shots of her and her brother on top of the garage. They climbed up the door and onto the roof to their mothers dismay of course.
    Thanks,
    JS

Nice thread.....now if I can just remember what I learned here.....

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    Nice thread.....now if I can just remember what I learned here.....
    lol...THats why PJ has the search function...it's for those of us with limited memory too bad we can't just open up the brain and add another "gig or two" or at least upgrade to more and faster memory

JS

Thread Information