• 02-03-2005, 01:13 PM
    Dzerzhinski46
    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?
    Yeah! So when is this poll or naming system going to begin? :rolleyes: Either we talk longingly about being NIkon wupping Ninjas or we do it! :D Let us know when you'll be putting it up. I don't know what this fascination with Ninja is though, but I'll go along with it. I suppose I could rebel like paulnj and just do my own thing. :p

Dzerzhinski

(Commander Canon and His Lost Planet Canonman #8) :D :p
  • 02-03-2005, 01:28 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Yeah, I noticed, and I'm tempted...
    ...to go and give comments to about 45 or so photos in the Critique Forum today so I won't have to wait any longer... :D

BTW, word on the street is they don't give you the handshake manual until you ACTUALLY get to 1000. Doing it any sooner would set a very dangerous precedent... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    ps

asylum steve, I see you are approaching 1000, have you recieved you're secret handshake manual yet? :)

• 02-03-2005, 03:48 PM
    adina
    Re: Yeah, I noticed, and I'm tempted...
    Good Plan!

I'm off....only need about 280.....

adina
  • 02-03-2005, 04:26 PM
    opus
    Secret Handshake Manual?? Wha...?

<looking around="">~looking around~

I never got one! :(</looking>
  • 02-03-2005, 04:48 PM
    Peter_AUS
    Actually in Japanese History, Samurai where the better of the warriors hence the term Samurai.

Ninjas aren't as good as the Samurai, but want to be Samurai.

Remember in the 60's there was a show called "The Samurai", with Shintaro, Shusaku, and the Fuma Ninja, who fought all the other bad ninjas of the time. Great show, wish they would bring it back on here.
  • 02-03-2005, 04:49 PM
    Peter_AUS
    What bloody secret handshake book, also looking around.
  • 02-03-2005, 05:14 PM
    Liz
    Ninjas aren't as good as the Samurai, but want to be Samurai.

Hmmmmmmm.....Canon folk can't be wannabees! to Nikon folk! :eek:

Liz
  • 02-03-2005, 05:49 PM
    Laberin
    well this throws a wrench into things:(
  • 02-03-2005, 06:31 PM
    walterick
    Re: Sign Me Up Dude!!
    "P.S. We must be on to something. Rick has had the gall to post the same cheeky statement twice. We must have hit a nerve. :D"

THEM'S FIGHTIN WORDS!!

Consummerrview.com offices. Sunday. High noon. Bring your steel.

Nikon Samurai #4
  • 02-03-2005, 07:48 PM
    schrackman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Actually in Japanese History, Samurai where the better of the warriors hence the term Samurai. Ninjas aren't as good as the Samurai, but want to be Samurai.

This is because the Ninjas served a different purpose, such as gathering and interpreting intelligence. They had Samurai skills, though not nearly as extensive. However, in combat they were more stealthy than the Samurai. So comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges, which is essentially what we're trying to do with Nikon and Canon. Here's an interesting quote I found on the web:

In any fight with two warriors of approximately the same skill level, the one with greater spirit will win.

In photography, it's not always who has the better camera but what the end results are. The one with more motivation is going to come out ahead. :)

Ray
  • 02-03-2005, 09:41 PM
    Ryguyinlj
    I'm just about ready to make the poll.

But, one question remains: Is there going to be a member number attached to the sig, such as "Canon Ninja #7" or what not?
  • 02-03-2005, 09:45 PM
    opus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryguyinlj
    I'm just about ready to make the poll.

But, one question remains: Is there going to be a member number attached to the sig, such as "Canon Ninja #7" or what not?

not sure how that would be practical, unless we all queued up in line or something.
  • 02-03-2005, 10:13 PM
    Peter_AUS
    Oldest (age wise that is) gets to go first with numbers.
  • 02-03-2005, 10:16 PM
    Peter_AUS
    In actual fact, the Ninjas were much like todays soldiers, they were the ground troops and the Samurai were a bit like the Generals, although they fought much more than the Generals seem to do these days.

Samurai was much higher placed in the pecking order of Combatants than Ninja were. Ninja were very stealthy people, but according to what I have read over many many years, were under the guidance of Samurai.
  • 02-03-2005, 10:16 PM
    walterick
    Them's fightin words!

Brandish your steel or be exhiled!
  • 02-03-2005, 10:21 PM
    walterick
    oooo... I don't wanna fight this one :(
  • 02-03-2005, 10:23 PM
    walterick
    "In photography, it's not always who has the better camera but what the end results are. The one with more motivation is going to come out ahead."

Them's fightin words!
  • 02-03-2005, 10:36 PM
    Trevor Ash
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    In actual fact...

As opposed to what? Non actual fact?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • 02-03-2005, 11:17 PM
    man I knew this would happen
    If it's not Canon vs Nikon, then it's Leica vs Zeiss/Contax

BTW, how come everyone wants to stick with the Japanese "chivalry" theme?
    Be a little more creative guys. Isnt that what photography is all about?
  • 02-03-2005, 11:33 PM
    Dzerzhinski46
    Re: Sign Me Up Dude!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    "P.S. We must be on to something. Rick has had the gall to post the same cheeky statement twice. We must have hit a nerve. :D"

THEM'S FIGHTIN WORDS!!

Consummerrview.com offices. Sunday. High noon. Bring your steel.

Nikon Samurai #4

Lost Planet Cameraman #8 will be coming right at you with a good old fashioned claymore at thirty paces. Nothing elegant about that eh!! :p And I do believe I hit a nerve!! Hahahahahahahahahahaha! (insert maniacal laugh) :D

Dzerzhinski
    (Lost Planet Cameraman #8)
  • 02-03-2005, 11:45 PM
    Dzerzhinski46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 92135011
    man I knew this would happen
    If it's not Canon vs Nikon, then it's Leica vs Zeiss/Contax

BTW, how come everyone wants to stick with the Japanese "chivalry" theme?
    Be a little more creative guys. Isnt that what photography is all about?

I never said I wanted to be a Ninja! I'm rebelling (pardon the pun) and becoming the Lost Planet Cameraman #8 maybe not for very long, we'll see (see Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen to get this rather obscure joke on my part). Now on with the poll, before the rest of you rebel (hahahaha)!

Dzerzhinski
  • 02-04-2005, 12:25 AM
    Ryguyinlj
    Canon Claymorte?

note: for those of you who don't know, a claymorte is a sword that is the european equivelant of a Samurai's Katana. It was a fairly large sword wielded by knights.

Oh, and if I remember correctly the Ninjas were sort of like special ops in their day. Often times they were the ones that were called upon to assasinate a rival shogun's samurai. Their tactics were different and so were their fighting styles. It is like comparing apples and oranges (I usually hate cliche's but this one works). I think it's a harsh oversimplification to refer to them as footsoldiers and the samauri as generals in their relationship. Sometimes they would take commands from samurai if they were both under the same shogun, but in most instances they were a shogun's secret, stealthy, and deadly little army of highly trained individuals and were mutually exclusive from the samurai and both took commands directly from their lord.
  • 02-04-2005, 12:32 AM
    Lionheart
    How about the Canon Sohei?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryguyinlj
    Canon Claymorte?

note: for those of you who don't know, a claymorte is a sword that is the european equivelant of a Samurai's Katana. It was a fairly large sword wielded by knights

How about the Canon Sohei? The Sohei were Buddhist warrior monks of the early Sengoku period of Japan (the age of warring states) who were at times more powerful and skillful than the Samurai Daimyo and their armies, and had on several occasions in history overthrown Samurai clans.
  • 02-04-2005, 01:49 AM
    I thought the claymore was really large double handed sword
    It would kill it's opponents more often by impact than cutting.
    The Katana, although being a double handed sword, can easily be weilded with one hand and usually kills its opponents by cutting rather than impact.

I would probably compare the Katana to a rapier or epee.

Ok time to bring out the mythological creatures.
    Canon Loch Ness
  • 02-04-2005, 06:19 AM
    Janie
    Hey, aren't the Samarai's extinct? Wasn't tom cruise the last one? lol The Ninja still live! BWAHAHAHAHHA