ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Alaska: A Bit Off Topic.

I am getting ready for a large teacher hiring event coming up in a few weeks. Several school districts in Alaska will be at this event, even the Bering Straight School District! I know I've seen a few posts from members who live in Alaska but can't remember who. Yeah, the photography is spectacular in AK but...

How isolated to y'all feel living that far from the mainland? I've already turned down an interview request from Hawaii because of that "disconnection". How horrible is the cost of living? How long did it take you to get used to the very dark winters and high daylight summers? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Sort of an answer

Michael,

My husband worked in Bermuda (very small island) for 3.5 years (before we met). The desire to get off the island hit him in the 3rd year. He loved Bermuda, especially the diving. But eventually he felt too closed in on such a small isolated island. Some of his friends, on the other hand, are still there after 10 years. So it really depends on the person.

Alaska is huge, and I'm sure working in the Bering Straight would be very different than working in an Anchorage school.

I'm not sure what part of the mainland US you're worried about being far from... family? It is a long long way from the east coast of the US...

Spike

Alaska...

I had the pleasure of a 3-year tour to Eielson Air Force Base, about 26 miles south of Fairbanks. It is brutal cold. The short summer has brutal bugs. Moose feed underwater to get free of the buzzing insects found there. The cost-of-living was high. Between 1984 and 1987, Alaska had three main highways paved. Delta Junction to Fairbanks, Fairbanks to Anchorage, and Anchorage to Delta Junction. In the winter, the GMC little truck we had never had enough engine heat to make the heater work.....

And you 'passed' on going to Hawaii?

Yes, the photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    I am getting ready for a large teacher hiring event coming up in a few weeks. Several school districts in Alaska will be at this event, even the Bering Straight School District! I know I've seen a few posts from members who live in Alaska but can't remember who. Yeah, the photography is spectacular in AK but...

How isolated to y'all feel living that far from the mainland? I've already turned down an interview request from Hawaii because of that "disconnection". How horrible is the cost of living? How long did it take you to get used to the very dark winters and high daylight summers? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks!
    ...is spectacular here. Hi Michael, I have lived in Juneau for 13 years and I still love it here. I still marvel and "oooh n ahhh" at the scenery I am surrounded by. The outdoor rec opportunities are fabulous. Unfortunately, I dont think I can answer all your questions about Alaska as a whole since I live in a region they refer to as the Southeast (or SE panhandle) of AK. So consequently, I am not familiar with the cost of living, weather patterns, quality of life, etc of such places as Anchorage, Bethel, Nome...places called the "Interior" of the state. I could go on ad naseum about Juneau and nearby communities, towns and villages. For example, only two ways to get to Juneau (and most other SE towns I might add) is by plane or boat. We have no roads that lead in/out of town here. The cost of living isnt too bad here...compared to some horror stories I have heard in Bethel, Barrow, Nome (a few dollars for a loaf of bread or eggs or milk). However, real estate and rent is pretty spendy here. I dont feel "hemmed in" or isolated (I rather prefer this close knit sense of community...thats just me), but then again, I work for an airline and can hop on jet for a respite most anytime. The long summer daylight is wonderful, doesnt really get dark until well after 10pm, close to 11. And the short winter daylight hours dont bother me too much. I dont give "cabin fever" a chance to set in... I go out and do what I what/need to do regardless of the weather...with the exception of 30mph+ winds blowing rain sideways...then I relent and do indoor things. Anyway, I told you I could go on and on, so rather than make a book out of this thread, I'll be glad to try to answer any of your questions thru e-mail if you like (jacinak@msn.com) or here in this forum if you prefer. I should refer you to our local newspaper on the web...juneauempire.com...particularly this past Friday edition (the 19th). On the front page was a story about teachers, schools and salary. Hope this helps you a little bit and if I can be of more help, let me know...I'll certainly try.

Jeff
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

I have spent many summers in Alaska...

I have had the fortune to work for the Alaska Fire Service. I have been able to fly around most of the state. I have visited many of the villages in the bush. The scenery/untouched nature is unrivaled, but a lot of the state is very similar to living on an island. A very small island, these villages have populations in the hundreds, there is no Safeway, or Sears. The only towns in Alaska I know of such stores are in are Anchorage, and Fairbanks. Some of the towns on the Kenai peninsula, or down the panhandle may too, I can't remember. The bush towns are isolated only containing a few miles of road withing the village. The only realistic way to get around is by airplane, with boats being a secondary mode of travel. Even where Jeff lives, there is only limited miles of road, with no way to the mainland except by boat or airplane. The interior is a place of extremes, temperatures run from -50s or more to +90. The daylight runs from none to 24 hours. The bugs are extreme for about 3 month a year.
    All that having been said, I still go back every year. Even when wasn't working for the Fire Service, I still went on Vacation. I love the Kenai Peninsula, The Wrangell's, Lake Clark, Denali, The Brooks range, Juneau, Ketchikan. No where is there such isolation and such beauty.
    http://www.ilovealaska.com/alaska/
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Thanks Everyone!

Well, y'all have given me a lot to think about. There are 4 Alaska school districts showing up at the fair. I'll probably talk to two of them just to see how they sell the place. I wonder if Alaska might work better as a vacation spot than a year long home. Maybe not. I will certainly just not jump on impulse!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information