ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Use Of Photo CD's

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Often

0 0%
  • Sometimes

0 0%
  • Never

1 33.33%
  • Whats a Kodak Professional Photo CD?

2 66.67%

Life of Kodak Photo CDS APS Film

So the end is near for Kodak Professional Photo CDS. Stores like Target and such offer lower quality and such. I was talking to a Kodak tech that said they will stop selling supplies alltogether for the Photo CDs soon. Can anyone confirm this? Is it stil used by many?

What about APS film? Is that going the way of the dodo as well? Do photographers generally like or dislike this film? I woudl think it would be nice not to have to worry about film getting scratched up etc and makes reloading faster. However I don't know if any SLRs take APS???

Thanks

KM

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Life of Kodak Photo CDS APS Film

Quote Originally Posted by kieranmullen
    So the end is near for Kodak Professional Photo CDS. Stores like Target and such offer lower quality and such. I was talking to a Kodak tech that said they will stop selling supplies alltogether for the Photo CDs soon. Can anyone confirm this? Is it stil used by many?
    I would guess that it's time has passed. With most pros at or quickly heading for digital, the old PhotoCD format has no real place. Pros who still use film need the higherquality of drum scans to take advantage of the newest printers.

What about APS film? Is that going the way of the dodo as well? Do photographers generally like or dislike this film? I woudl think it would be nice not to have to worry about film getting scratched up etc and makes reloading faster. However I don't know if any SLRs take APS???
    APS film was never a winner. Pros had no use for it (40% smaller than 35mm, already the ragged edge of size). there are almost no choices for film types, and it's more expensive to use. Slides/negatives in sleaves are unlikely to scratch and most 35mm cameras load just as easily. Consumers never really bought into it. There would be absoultely no point for SLRs to take APS film as 35mm film is larger and cheaper.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Re: Life of Kodak Photo CDS APS Film

Quote Originally Posted by kieranmullen

Thanks

KM
    Don't know much about Kodak CDs, but APS is deader than dead. The problem was that the film frame was 40% smaller than 35mm, making it hard to get good, sharp shots - especially with the cropping options offered. Tack on that the film and processing was more than 35mm and you've got a problem. Nikon used to make two APS SLRs, but stopped two or three years ago. Canon had one and Minolta, too, I think, but they stopped around the same time. Nikon and Minolta stopped making APS cameras of any kind a while back. Canon still makes the ELPH line, but I think they are the only ones left. As I understand it, point and shoot camera sales of any kind are way, way down - the market is woened by one-time use cameras and cheap digicams.

Thread Information