ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liz

Here ya go!

Holiday schedule at B&H

Can you get there Friday morning? They open at 9:00. BTW they are always closed on Sunday.

Passover Eve Friday, April 22
    Close at 12:45
    Passover Sunday, April 24 Thru Sunday, May 1
    Closed

Holiday schedule for the year:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=ChPjL8yvcf!-1516573218?O=RootPage.jsp&A=getpage&Q=holidayschedule.jsp

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    I will be there next weekend. Not for the gathering unfortunately. Do you have any idea if B&H is closed next Sunday for Passover? If they are, at least they won't have to clean up all of the drool that I would have left on the gear.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: New York City photogathering this May.

Not likely, get into the airport at noon and have to make it over to Lincoln Center for a concert.

Thanks for the information.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Liz

Thumbs down Re: New York City photogathering this May.

You don't have to actually reply, but I had to say it - could you change your ticket and leave Thursday? Wow what a downer. You will just have to come back.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Not likely, get into the airport at noon and have to make it over to Lincoln Center for a concert.

Thanks for the information.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: NYC is getting ready for us!

Looking foward to it Liz!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

"There are only three things you need;
    Someone to love
    Something to do
    Something to look forward to."

and the answer is..... MYSELF BIRDING DEATH

I seriously doubt I can make it

As I mentioned I am OBLIGATED to work friday- sunday nights and I need to have the prior weekend off for a wedding and THEN I need memorial day weekend off for a family get together(FAMILY time is NUMBER 1 in my life) since my schedule prevents me from quality time with loved ones.

I may get lucky at the last minute and get together with y'all
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

"MYSELF"

Self-love is a good thing.

"BIRDING"

And you're sucessful at it!

"DEATH"

In due time, you've gotta put some living in before that can happen though ;)

"I seriously doubt I can make it "

Well, not if you miss this photogathering! Come to New York.... we'll save your soul... come Pauly.. come...
    Walter Rick Long

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Great idea about the flight change, but too expensive since we are bringing the family up.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Now I assure you I HAVE LIVED a few lifetimes worth of life in my meager nearly 34 years on this flat planet, so forget about saving my soul for now ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re: We Will Welcome You to the Left Coast!

I'm off on vacation the week before you guys are meeting. But if you will meet up at B&H on Sunday ( my day off) i will try to meet up with you there. Hope to get the chance to meet some of you.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Liz, Should put me on the list as I will try my best to come out. BTW, I despise those tour buses. . .they are always in my way!! and drive soooo slllooooooooww

gary

Gary, would love if you could make it!

I'll post more details in the upcoming weeks. Hope to see you there!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

I'm pretty new to the group, but I'd love to come along on your NYC adventure!!!

Great Boo! Glad to have you!
    Walter Rick Long

Liz

Rick........this is getting exciting.

Do you have a "plan" in mind for different dates/days/times, places, interests, or did I miss reading something?

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Great Boo! Glad to have you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New York City photogathering this May.-times-sq.jpg  

Hey Liz! Looks good!

My general outline is as follows:

Meet Saturday morning for the Bronx Zoo
    We can set the meeting place together here. It can be at the zoo, or somewhere more central to the city, whatever is more convenient for everyone. I know we can Subway in or take a bus so maybe meeting at the zoo is easiest.
    I like to leave things generally open so we have freedom and flexibilty in our schedule. I see us spending a good several hours at the zoo, then spending more time in the Bronx if we wish and eating dinner somewhere in the vicinity. I don't know the area at all so I was going to tap the locals as the date draws nearer for more options on Saturday eve, if we get rained on or if we get tired of the zoo quickly. We can always stay in the city and do indoors things if its rainy.
    Sunday is, of couse B&H day I figure we meet outside in the am and rip the place apart I have a loong list of stuff I want before heading out west. I figure, better to stock up while I'm there and save the shipping costs to Arizona! After they kick us out for buying up all their stock we can spend the rest of the day loligagging in Central Park or doing whatever else comes to our attention.
    I hate to overplan in a place like New York because you never know what you're going to run into!

This is my general plan. Like I say, we'll start firming up details in the weeks to come. If everyone wants to chime in and let me know what they think of this plan, I would appreciate it. I am by no means attached to it! I'm open to suggestions as always.

Thanks Liz!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Liz

Rick,

It sounds like a good plan.

BTW, you might consider having your B&H items shipped....somewhere. You have to "weigh" the tax vs shipping. I believe NY tax is 8.5%.

I've always wanted to go to the Bronx zoo. I would need explicit directions on how to get there from Port Authority......and back.

Liz

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Urgent - Rick! Liz!!!

I messed up and said I'd cover a shift on the 22nd. No big deal, I can cancel it, there's enough time in advance for them to get someone else. But in case they can't - I'm going to offer to cover half of it if they really really need me.

Which part of the day should I be free?

Before 2pm, or after 2pm? Are there any places?

Also, a friend of mine is going to be in town for the Burlesque Festival happening all that weekend - and she's staying with me. I plan on going with her Saturday evening, but it's not until much later, so I'm definitely available to hang with ya'lls. What are the Saturday evening plans (I'm free after 4, I have to work, grrrr.... and that's a regularly scheduled shift, not me working an extra shift.)

Argh - the New York dilemma. It's such a great place for art, but you spend all your time working to pay rent, and don't have time to MAKE your art.

And everyone visits at the same time!

Megan

Okay - Itenerary

Hey folks,

Sorry it took so long to get the plans together. I've finalized the schedule and left room for improvisation:

Saturday, May 21
    9:45-10am
    Meet at Bronx Zoo,Asia Gate.
    Here's a map of the Zoo:
    http://bronxzoo.com/media/file/ZOO%20map.pdf
    Admission = $11. The zoo opens at 10am, I thought we would get there a little early to convene, meet, shake hands and chatter about fstops and such. I have no idea how long the lines will be to get in but they recomend early weekend mornings as a good time to avoid crowds, especially before the summer, so we should be golden. Plus, getting there earlier will mean better light I figure on spending several hours here and having lunch. I don't want to force people through faster than they want to and I personally have a thingey for Tigers so I may be playing with the kitties for a while I'm sure we can find a pace that suits all through the Park.
    After the zoo:
    The New York Botanical Gardens border on the north side of the Bronx Zoo I think that would be fun to end the day with before dinner. Admission is $3 to the gardens and $3.50 to the Conservatory. If people are tired there's also a ton of galleries in the Bronx we can visit or just sit in the park and relax!
    End:
    If we haven't gotten sick of each other yet, I say we let ourselves get bown into a great restaurant and finish the day there!

Sunday
    10:00 am B&H photo. That next hour or so will be a blur.
    Rest of day:
    Central Park baby! Let's decide which entrance to meet at in this thread, but right now just so we have a plan I'll say the northeast corner of the park which seems to have a lot going on. This is where we let the fun find us!

Any and all feedback appreciated. Please, if you're planning on coming to any part of it let me know so I can keep a running head count. PM me if you want my cell phone number (recommended) and if you want to talk about anything else.

Did I cover it all? If not I'm sure I'll hear about it! I've sent invitations to the PR members who live in the area and haven't posted here yet.

Thanks!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Re: Urgent - Rick! Liz!!!

LOL Megan

So if I'm hearing you right...
    You're free on Sunday either before or after 2, and you're only free Saturday after 4? - wimper - It wouldn't be a New York gathering without you!

Sunday is a play day at the Park, I would say be free in the morning rather than the evening.
    Saturday, because we're wandering through the zoo and botanical gardens it's hard to say where we'll be around 4 or so but you still have my cell? We can chat and you could always meet us for dinner!

Hey what's your friend doing? It sounds kinda cool!

Hope we'll get to see you.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

You will absolutely get to see me! I'm going to cancel the coverage - like I said, there's enough time to find someone else. BUT - just in case they can't get someone, I can play the good dedicated worker and offer to do HALF the shift. Seriously, though they might not find someone to cover the whole shift, but someone might be able to stay late or come in early, so I'll offer that as a compromise ONLY as a last resort. So I should be available Sunday.

AND I will get a website and post it this week for the Burlesque Festival. It's good naughty fun... NOT raunchy at all, it's a lot of fun - talented performers from around the world. I got some great photos last year (yes, you can photograph!)

Megan

Hey all, I've been invited to partake in an exhibit on Saturday at the Philosophybox gallery( philosophybox.com). It will be an outdoor exhibit in front of the gallery with several other artists and a musical guest. There is also an exhibit going on inside the gallery that will be running for a few weeks. I will be exhibiting my Canscapes series as both I and the gallery director ( YU Whuan) felt it would be a great exhibit for outside setting. It will run from 2PM - 8 PM if the weather holds out. I realize you have a packed schedule of great activities planned, but if you find the time to squeeze a few minutes, I would be happy to meet you all.
    It is on Lexington ave, between 97st and 98 st This is a real spur of the moment thing for me and I'm furiously trying to print, mat and get my set-up together. I'll keep you posted if any changes.

gary

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Hey all, I've been invited to partake in an exhibit on Saturday at the Philosophybox gallery( philosophybox.com). It will be an outdoor exhibit in front of the gallery with several other artists and a musical guest. There is also an exhibit going on inside the gallery that will be running for a few weeks. I will be exhibiting my Canscapes series as both I and the gallery director ( YU Whuan) felt it would be a great exhibit for outside setting. It will run from 2PM - 8 PM if the weather holds out. I realize you have a packed schedule of great activities planned, but if you find the time to squeeze a few minutes, I would be happy to meet you all.
    It is on Lexington ave, between 97st and 98 st This is a real spur of the moment thing for me and I'm furiously trying to print, mat and get my set-up together. I'll keep you posted if any changes.
    Nooooooo!!!!! You gotta be kidding me.... This incoming week end??? I can't believe I won't see this....

Seb

Hey Gary,

Would be glad to meet another member! I think that would be an awesome activity for us, and I really like your work. When are you showing, Saturday or Sunday?

Oh, and is it anywhere near Central Park?

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

I'm sorry , I didn't specify the date. It's Saturday, May 21st. Yes, it is a short walk from central park, especially if you'll be by the North East side.

gary

Gary, You know I'll be there. ;) I can hardly wait to see your great work on display.
    ~Nina~
    ~Nina~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information