ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

A new toy for me!!

No, this isn't another camera from the Dallar Store. I have been looking for an EOS film body as a backup to my DRebel. I love my AE-1, and still plan on using it, but I wanted an auto focuse film body. I didn't want to spend much since digital seems to be the future of photography, but I didn't want a piece of junk either. I was hoping to find a nice used Rebel T2 on ebay, but they were selling for almost new prices. So I decided to just get a new T2. Then I got to thinking, maybe I can get something a little nicer for around the same price as a new T2, so I kept looking. What I ended up with, is a mint condition, Elan 7N with 28-105mm lens. It was a display model, and doesn't look like it has had a roll of film run thru it. I haven't tested it with film yet, but everything seems to be working perfectly on it. It didn't come with a manual or strap, but I have already ordered a manual from Canon, and I have a Canon strap from my now broken Rebel G. Hopefully, I will be able to run a roll of film thru it tomorrow. I checked this kit out at B&H, and it sells new for $410, my price on ebay, $201.50. The new T2 I was looking at was $190. I can't wait to test it out!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A new toy for me!!-elan1.jpg   A new toy for me!!-elan2.jpg   A new toy for me!!-elan3.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: A new toy for me!!

Very nice! Aren't new toys fun! At a garage sale over the weekend, in addition to a IBM ThinkPad 365XD Laptop, I got a 1961 Yashica J, it's unusable, but a piece of history none-the-less.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Liz

Congratulations!

This is a great camera - coming from a former Elan7E owner. I loved that camera. It's fast, quiet with many great features. You did the right thing. ;)

I hope you post some of those pictures soon.

Liz

Re: Congratulations!

I just got back from shooting my first test roll with the 7N. I have to say, I love it already!! It's so quiet compaired to the other EOS cameras I have used. The focus is very fast too. It was just a test roll, so I did some experimenting with a couple dif. features, like multiple exposures, and I used the mirror lock up, and auto bracketing. I dropped the film of on my way home, and it will be ready for me tomorrow after work. I can't wait!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

misanthrope

This is my main camera-- I hope you will love it as much as I have! I must sadly say I don't agree with your choice of lens... I bought the body only and threw in the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM II with hood. It's just a better lens... but not by a huge margin...
    I knew I'd be hating not having a vertical grip, so I also bought the BP-300 as well. It all came at once, which was such a joy! I'm now very glad I bought the verical grip, since it adds a little extra room for your pinky in the horizontal orientation. I have largish hands and so it made a lot of difference. Also being able to use AA batteries, that is a joy also.
    And so far, after more than a year of use, this camera has never failed me. The only time I've had screwed up pics was when it was my fault! This camera is a dream to shoot- quiet, fast, accurate, ergonomic... I've been in love since roll one!
    I can't wait to hear your first impression... good luck!
    -O-
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

My first impression is that this is a great piece of equipment! As for the lens... I was looking for a body only, when I came accross this one on ebay. I would have been happy to pay the same price that I did, for just the body, but since this lens was part of the package, I figured I would see what it could do. I am also thinking about getting the verticle grip. I have one on my DRebel, and I love it. It adds a lot of weight, but I can live with that. I love the extra shutter release, and AA batteries vs the expensive 123 (I think) makes it an even more attractive investment.

I went to a local camera shop, and held the Elan 7N and the Rebel T2, and for me, the size and feel of the Elan 7N blew away the T2. I have small hands, but I like the feel of a larger, heavier camera body, and the Elan 7N fit the bill nicely.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Liz

Lens

Michael,

You might want to think about getting the Canon 50mm/f1.8. It's $70 at B&H. I had this lens for a couple of years before I upgraded to the 1.4. This lens is sharp, good color, good bokeh. Your zoom is your feet - but then you learn more that way.

Liz

Re: Lens

Thanks for the advice Liz. A good 50mm prime is already on my wish list, along with a nice wide angle. So many toys, so little cash.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Talking Re: A new toy for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    No, this isn't another camera from the Dallar Store. I have been looking for an EOS film body as a backup to my DRebel. I love my AE-1, and still plan on using it, but I wanted an auto focuse film body. I didn't want to spend much since digital seems to be the future of photography, but I didn't want a piece of junk either. I was hoping to find a nice used Rebel T2 on ebay, but they were selling for almost new prices. So I decided to just get a new T2. Then I got to thinking, maybe I can get something a little nicer for around the same price as a new T2, so I kept looking. What I ended up with, is a mint condition, Elan 7N with 28-105mm lens. It was a display model, and doesn't look like it has had a roll of film run thru it. I haven't tested it with film yet, but everything seems to be working perfectly on it. It didn't come with a manual or strap, but I have already ordered a manual from Canon, and I have a Canon strap from my now broken Rebel G. Hopefully, I will be able to run a roll of film thru it tomorrow. I checked this kit out at B&H, and it sells new for $410, my price on ebay, $201.50. The new T2 I was looking at was $190. I can't wait to test it out!!!
    Sweet!

As I understand it, the Elan 7 is the Canon equivalent of the Nikon N80, which is my primary shooter.

Congratulations on your new toy. I hope you enjoy it.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

An experiment

Here is one of the first shots taken with this new set up. I was experimenting, and took a double exposure. The first exposure was in focus, the second was a bit out of focus. Just playing around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A new toy for me!!-experiment.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Talking Re: An experiment

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Here is one of the first shots taken with this new set up. I was experimenting, and took a double exposure. The first exposure was in focus, the second was a bit out of focus. Just playing around.

Cool shot Michael!

I like it!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information