ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: New old toys :)

New old toys :)

So how'd I do for $46 (and that includes shipping)? Sometimes I love Ebay. So here's my new film set-up for my upcoming class. Other than a couple little things, everything was in excellent condition. Only problem with the camera was a couple scratches on the ground glass viewing screen (I think that's what it's called), my guess from changing the battery. Now if only my shipment of film would hurry up and get here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New old toys :)-dsc_8606.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: New old toys :)

Very cool! Congrats.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Very nice! Ebay can be great if you're careful.

They sure don't make camera straps like the used to. :thumbsup:

Paul

You know what's really fun? Taking a really nice photo with an old camera you bought for next to nothing. Then having everyone guess how much the photo equipment cost you to take it.

About 6 years ago I was using an old Mamiya 500dtl camera. I still have photos on my website that I took with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    ground glass viewing screen (I think that's what it's called)
    Focusing screen - a ground glass is basically the same thing on a large format camera. They're very easily scratched even using lens cleaning stuff, and it could have happened that way. If there's dust on it, just use a blower bulb (not compressed air) but don't actually touch it with anything. Great deal though!

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    They sure don't make camera straps like the used to
    Didn't Fish from Barney Miller have a tie like that?

Just Lurking

Aaron,

Congratulations on the deal. I have a couple old SLRs, but one of them needs some cleaning and I haven't justified the cost since I have my digital. The last time I took one out for some shooting, I was surprised that I started worrying about film costs and how many shots I could get on a roll. It really makes you stop and think about your shots more.

We're expecting great things...

PC

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to getting out and playing with it a bit. I think I might take it to a camera shop a few towns over to have them give it a good cleaning and the seals could probably stand to be replaced. Also going to see if I can get the mirror bumper pad replaced as the one in it has seen better days. I was a little worried about it at first as the previous owner said it had been in storage for a while and when I received it, the lens especially was fairly dirty with lots of finger prints. After some cleaning the lens looks like new with not the tiniest scratch or bit of dust inside. Even the battery compartment was good as no, with absolutely no corrosion Can you tell I'm excited?...LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thread Information