New Holga user

Printable View

• 07-25-2006, 03:01 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    New Holga user
    Greetings Holga lovers! Here are a few frames from the past year I've finally got around to scanning into the computer.

An old gas pump still standing in Kilmanagh, Mich., that totals out at $9.99!

(My apologies to those who've already seen this, I'm new 'round these parts, ya see...:blush2:)
  • 07-25-2006, 03:13 PM
    mtbbrian
    No Worries!
    Like I said, me and Megan are the only "die hard" Holga photographers around here, but there are lots of others who do use them here.
    There are also lot's of admirers of our work too!
    :rolleyes: :D :p :aureola: :)
    Make sure you check out all of the other forums around here as well as the galleries where you can upload stuff to your own personal gallery.
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
  • 07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: New Holga user
    Same pic with "hand-coloring" in Photoshop.
  • 07-25-2006, 03:31 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    From left, three photos from middle America: Band shell, American Legion Hall, and historic farmhouse.
  • 07-25-2006, 03:38 PM
    Max P D
    Re: No Worries!
    Thanks again for the input Brian! I will definately look for other Holga work.
    :yesnod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Like I said, me and Megan are the only "die hard" Holga photographers around here, but there are lots of others who do use them here.
    There are also lot's of admirers of our work too!
    :rolleyes: :D :p :aureola: :)
    Make sure you check out all of the other forums around here as well as the galleries where you can upload stuff to your own personal gallery.
    Brian

• 07-25-2006, 03:42 PM
    Photo-John
    Welcome!
    Welcome to the site, Max. Happy to have another toy camera devotee. I am a Holga owner but I haven't actually used mine for years. In college I also owned a real Diana, if you know what that is! :cool:

Even though I don't actually use my Holga, I am a big fan of Holga and other toy camera photography. I love seeing Brian and Megan's work and it's good to have another toy camera photographer here. Here are a couple of useful links for you:

Toy Camera Gallery >>
    Toy Camera Resource Page >>

That Toy Camera Resource page is cool, but it needs some updating. I built it and then never linked it from anywhere. I'm not sure that the review pages are correctly linked.

Anyway - welcome to the site. Happy to have you. Did you get here via a Google link to Megan's thread? If so, that's cool.
  • 07-25-2006, 03:49 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    Another "hand-coloring" attempt on a building (one of a series of three in row) that may have been used to house migrant workers.
  • 07-25-2006, 04:05 PM
    Max P D
    Re: Welcome!
    Photo-John, Yep, I've heard of the Diana. Thanks for the links! I'll check 'em out. My favorite Holga site is by David Niles http://www.davidniles.com/holga/

I'll visit more of your photo gallery soon! I see you must be a mountain biker, like me and mtbbrian. I see a trend here...:thumbsup:

Happy trails!

p.s. not sure how I found this site - prob Google

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Welcome to the site, Max. Happy to have another toy camera devotee. I am a Holga owner but I haven't actually used mine for years. In college I also owned a real Diana, if you know what that is! :cool:

Even though I don't actually use my Holga, I am a big fan of Holga and other toy camera photography. I love seeing Brian and Megan's work and it's good to have another toy camera photographer here. Here are a couple of useful links for you:

Toy Camera Gallery >>
    Toy Camera Resource Page >>

That Toy Camera Resource page is cool, but it needs some updating. I built it and then never linked it from anywhere. I'm not sure that the review pages are correctly linked.

Anyway - welcome to the site. Happy to have you. Did you get here via a Google link to Megan's thread? If so, that's cool.

• 07-25-2006, 06:13 PM
    mtbbrian
    Re: Welcome!
    I like David Niles stuff too, I think he was one of the first toy camera photographers I ever encountered online.
    Make sure you check out mine and Megan's websites, as well as the toy camera galleries.
    My site is listed below and you can find hers via my links page or through her profile here.
    Make sure you check out all the great galleries while you are at it!
    Your photography will thank you for it!
    Brian
  • 07-25-2006, 06:53 PM
    schrackman
    I'm not a great big Holga fan but I do like these. Good job.

BTW, your avatar looks like it came off one of the RUSH album covers, lol.
  • 07-25-2006, 07:01 PM
    Max P D
    Thanks Schrackman!

Rush Limbo has an album? Man, I can't stand that guy...

Quote:

Originally Posted by schrackman
    I'm not a great big Holga fan but I do like these. Good job.

BTW, your avatar looks like it came off one of the RUSH album covers, lol.

• 07-26-2006, 07:54 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Max P D
    Thanks Schrackman!

Rush Limbo has an album? Man, I can't stand that guy...

LOL!
    Ray is reffering to the band RUSH, eh...
    Not Rush Limbaugh!
    Brian
  • 07-26-2006, 08:02 AM
    Max P D
    Brian, I knew what he meant, I was just messing with schrackman.

Don't tell Geddy, Alex or Neil I ripped off one of their covers, okay?:9:

Quote:

LOL!
    Ray is reffering to the band RUSH, eh...
    Not Rush Limbaugh!
    Brian

• 07-29-2006, 08:37 PM
    megan
    Aaaah. I heart Holgas. Thanks for sharing.
  • 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM
    Max P D
    Megan, I love your winning entry in the Krappy Kamera competition! Can't wait to see more!

Max
  • 07-30-2006, 12:15 AM
    schrackman
    Quote:

Brian, I knew what he meant, I was just messing with schrackman.

Don't tell Geddy, Alex or Neil I ripped off one of their covers, okay?:9:

Too late. I already emailed them. Geddy is the most upset because that cover design was his idea! He said he hasn't been this mad since way back in the 80s when their hairstylist made Alex look like a reject from Duran Duran.:frown2:
  • 08-03-2006, 08:39 PM
    another view
    Too many Signals about that one...

Nice work, and definitely check out Brian and Megan's Holga work. Very nice shots.
  • 08-12-2006, 05:27 PM
    Max P D
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Too many Signals about that one...

Nice work, and definitely check out Brian and Megan's Holga work. Very nice shots.

Thanks Another View!

I've seen Brian and Megan's Holga work and they rock! Their images have inspired me to brainstorm new personal assignments that I hope to post in the near future.
  • 08-12-2006, 05:34 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    A few more Holga images from my corner of the universe. It's also my first attempt at shooting color neg film through a Holga - on Fuji color pro 800 ISO. I used a polarizer to reduce the light and saturate the sky as the sun rose higher during my early morning road trip.

I need to work more on keeping my horizons level... :blush2:

Image #1

A one-lane bridge east of Bach, Michigan.
  • 08-12-2006, 05:45 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    Image #2

An aged farm building near Wisner, Michigan that probably collapsed under the weight of snow on the roof.
  • 08-12-2006, 06:17 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    Image #3

Wheat stubble field near Sebewaing, Michigan. 'round these parts the wheat is usually harvested shortly after the Fourth of July.
  • 08-14-2006, 08:34 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    This was my first attempt at shooting a Holgarama. Not sure why the left frame has a yellow cast.

FWIW, I shot this on Fuji 800 ISO.

It might be because I didn't keep the Holga in a camera bag for a bit while I was cruisin' fer snaps (i.e. light leaks?). Maybe that's why it probably only affected the first frame... :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on the matter is appreciated.:confused5:

Thanks,
    Max

p.s. I'm not too upset cuz this place is only about a mile from where I live.:D
  • 08-15-2006, 05:23 PM
    megan
    Aw shucks! Thanks! :)
    I just got back from Montana and Wyoming... the first batch of contacts will be picked up tomorrow.
  • 08-15-2006, 05:27 PM
    megan
    Huh, I've never seen that. If you think it's a leak, though, what I do is (black gaffer's) tape around the top, bottom, and sides of the Holga back, as well as create a flap of tape over the red window and only pull it aside when advancing.
  • 08-16-2006, 05:05 AM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by megan
    Huh, I've never seen that. If you think it's a leak, though, what I do is (black gaffer's) tape around the top, bottom, and sides of the Holga back, as well as create a flap of tape over the red window and only pull it aside when advancing.

Yep, I've got it pretty well taped up - even the window in back w/ a flap.:confused:

Thanks for the input though.
  • 08-16-2006, 09:32 AM
    mtbbrian
    That's not nearly enough duct tape!
    Brian
    :D:rolleyes::crazy::yesnod:
  • 08-16-2006, 06:18 PM
    Max P D
    Quote:

That's not nearly enough duct tape!
    Brian
    :D:rolleyes::crazy::yesnod:

Funny you should say that Brian because just after I posted the pic of my Holga I imagined a Holga with so much tape wrapped around it it looked like a ball of tape with just a lens poking thru.:ihih:

Do you use duct tape? I've read it can become sticky. For me, it's gaffers tape.:thumbsup:
  • 08-16-2006, 06:30 PM
    megan
    Oh, yeah, nice and cocooned. Did you get the two holes on the inside? (If not, I'll 'splain...)
  • 08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
    Max P D
    Quote:

Oh, yeah, nice and cocooned. Did you get the two holes on the inside? (If not, I'll 'splain...)

Huh? You better 'splain that one Lucy...:D
  • 08-16-2006, 07:08 PM
    megan
    Okay. Take the back off and hold it as if you're taking a picture. Turn the bottom towards you. If you look on the bottom of the bulge that houses the wires internally for the hot shoe, there are two holes on either side (If you've got the 120N.) Those need to be taped up because they can and will leak light at the most inappropriate times.
  • 08-17-2006, 05:23 AM
    Max P D
    Quote:

Okay. Take the back off and hold it as if you're taking a picture. Turn the bottom towards you. If you look on the bottom of the bulge that houses the wires internally for the hot shoe, there are two holes on either side (If you've got the 120N.) Those need to be taped up because they can and will leak light at the most inappropriate times.

Thanks Megan, I'll take a look when I finish up my current roll of film!
  • 08-17-2006, 07:39 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Funny you should say that Brian because just after I posted the pic of my Holga I imagined a Holga with so much tape wrapped around it it looked like a ball of tape with just a lens poking thru.:ihih:

Do you use duct tape? I've read it can become sticky. For me, it's gaffers tape.:thumbsup:

The current roll of duct tape I have SUCKS!
    It is hard to tear in half and often frays.
    It does leave a little residue, but it isn't that noticeable when it is taped anyway.
    So I am not all that worried about it.
    Megan's advice is GOOD! I concurn!
    Brian
  • 08-20-2006, 03:07 AM
    Confusion Circle
    I am proud to say my Holga has no light leaks! :) I did tape the back because it fell off once, but that's it.
  • 08-20-2006, 04:14 AM
    Max P D
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Confusion Circle
    I am proud to say my Holga has no light leaks! :) I did tape the back because it fell off once, but that's it.

Consider yourself lucky my friend... :)
  • 08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Confusion Circle

To the both of you, WELCOME!
    Make sure you post more or some of your Holga photographs.
    Make sure you check out all of the forums, especially the "CRitique forum" the moderator over there LOVES Holga photographs!
    If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!
    Brian
    :D :thumbsup:
  • 08-20-2006, 05:04 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

I found those darn holes. :eek6: Thanks for your input Megan!

p.s. I'm sure everybody's groovin' on my low tech graphics...:D
  • 08-20-2006, 07:08 PM
    megan
    Them Thar Holes
    They be the ones!
    Sneaky leaky holes....
    :p
  • 08-22-2006, 06:18 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    An ancient soft drink sign from a closed Mom and Pop store in Pinnebog, Michigan.
  • 08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
    Max P D
    1 Attachment(s)
    These memorials are everywhere. I'm considering some sort of project and the Holga may be well suited for the subject. I've seen them around for about the last ten years or less here in Michigan. It makes me wonder where it all started...
  • 08-22-2006, 07:38 PM
    Max P D
    Quote:

These memorials are everywhere. I'm considering some sort of project and the Holga may be well suited for the subject. I've seen them around for about the last ten years or less here in Michigan. It makes me wonder where it all started...

Hmm, after a quick Google search on roadside memorial, up popped a result from Wikipedia (one of my favorite info sites) claiming, "There have been roadside memorials for more than a thousand years.":yikes: