ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Holga user

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: New Holga user

That's not nearly enough duct tape!
    Brian
    :crazy::yesnod:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    That's not nearly enough duct tape!
    Brian
    :crazy::yesnod:
    Funny you should say that Brian because just after I posted the pic of my Holga I imagined a Holga with so much tape wrapped around it it looked like a ball of tape with just a lens poking thru.:ihih:

Do you use duct tape? I've read it can become sticky. For me, it's gaffers tape.:thumbsup:
    "Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire." - Reggie Leach

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Oh, yeah, nice and cocooned. Did you get the two holes on the inside? (If not, I'll 'splain...)

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Oh, yeah, nice and cocooned. Did you get the two holes on the inside? (If not, I'll 'splain...)
    Huh? You better 'splain that one Lucy...
    "Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire." - Reggie Leach

Okay. Take the back off and hold it as if you're taking a picture. Turn the bottom towards you. If you look on the bottom of the bulge that houses the wires internally for the hot shoe, there are two holes on either side (If you've got the 120N.) Those need to be taped up because they can and will leak light at the most inappropriate times.

Okay. Take the back off and hold it as if you're taking a picture. Turn the bottom towards you. If you look on the bottom of the bulge that houses the wires internally for the hot shoe, there are two holes on either side (If you've got the 120N.) Those need to be taped up because they can and will leak light at the most inappropriate times.
    Thanks Megan, I'll take a look when I finish up my current roll of film!

Quote Originally Posted by Max P D
    Funny you should say that Brian because just after I posted the pic of my Holga I imagined a Holga with so much tape wrapped around it it looked like a ball of tape with just a lens poking thru.:ihih:

Do you use duct tape? I've read it can become sticky. For me, it's gaffers tape.:thumbsup:
    The current roll of duct tape I have SUCKS!
    It is hard to tear in half and often frays.
    It does leave a little residue, but it isn't that noticeable when it is taped anyway.
    So I am not all that worried about it.
    Megan's advice is GOOD! I concurn!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

I am proud to say my Holga has no light leaks! I did tape the back because it fell off once, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Confusion Circle
    I am proud to say my Holga has no light leaks! I did tape the back because it fell off once, but that's it.
    Consider yourself lucky my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Confusion Circle
    To the both of you, WELCOME!
    Make sure you post more or some of your Holga photographs.
    Make sure you check out all of the forums, especially the "CRitique forum" the moderator over there LOVES Holga photographs!
    If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Lightbulb Re: New Holga user

I found those darn holes. :eek6: Thanks for your input Megan!

p.s. I'm sure everybody's groovin' on my low tech graphics...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Max P D; 08-20-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Them Thar Holes

They be the ones!
    Sneaky leaky holes....

An ancient soft drink sign from a closed Mom and Pop store in Pinnebog, Michigan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Holga user-powers-country-store.jpg  
    Last edited by Max P D; 08-22-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Question Re: New Holga user

These memorials are everywhere. I'm considering some sort of project and the Holga may be well suited for the subject. I've seen them around for about the last ten years or less here in Michigan. It makes me wonder where it all started...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Max P D; 08-22-2006 at 06:46 PM.

These memorials are everywhere. I'm considering some sort of project and the Holga may be well suited for the subject. I've seen them around for about the last ten years or less here in Michigan. It makes me wonder where it all started...
    Hmm, after a quick Google search on roadside memorial, up popped a result from Wikipedia (one of my favorite info sites) claiming, "There have been roadside memorials for more than a thousand years.":yikes:
    Last edited by Max P D; 08-22-2006 at 07:51 PM.

I'd say GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I totally agree with you.
    I would LOVE to see a series of photographs on this subject, photographed this way!
    DO IT!
    Brian
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

I'd say GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I totally agree with you.
    I would LOVE to see a series of photographs on this subject, photographed this way!
    DO IT!
    Brian
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Thanks for the encouragement Brian! I've been thinkin' about this for a couple of years now actually...:crazy:

Scarecrow from Tuscola County, Michigan.

Why didn't I move to my right to avoid the merger of the scarecrow's head with the window? Dang - I can't beleive I didn't see that! :mad2:

The Holga's viewfinder makes it a real challenge to take a good pic... (excuses, excuses...)

I know, I need a digital Holga... :idea:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Holga user-scarecrow.jpg  

The Holga's viewfinder makes it a real challenge to take a good pic... (excuses, excuses...)

I know, I need a digital Holga... :idea:
    A digital Holga?
    NO WAY!
    Don't worry about the viewfinder! It's called serendipity!
    So get off your butt and do that highway crosses project!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

A digital Holga?
    NO WAY!

So get off your butt and do that highway crosses project!
    Brian

Brian, WAY! my friend. Though I haven't yet seen one, I've read (can't remember where :blush2: ) about someone wanting to attach a Holga lens onto a digital body some way, some how. There are Holgas with Polaroid backs yes? So why not a digital Holga? I believe it will happen, for good or bad. I guess a lens baby isn't too far from being a digital Holga. (hey, I don't recall seeing any lens baby pix on photographyreview.com - I even did a (very quick) search - nada Sounds like a NEW category to add to the toy camera section maybe?)

Okay boss, I'll have to start working on those memorials...:thumbsup:
    Last edited by Max P D; 08-24-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Did a quick Google search for "digital Holga" and came up with this: Litratista.org

Well there is the "Jam Cam" which could be considered a digital "toy camera", and some people consider a camera phone one too.
    But I digress.
    You see, I am very much a film photographer.
    You'll find some Lens Baby pictures here, I believe Photo John posted some in the galleries somewhere.

Oh and Randy at Holga Mods, has adapated a Holga lens for both Nikon and Canon digital cameras.
    He's a crazy man, (Sorry Randy! ) but what he does for Holgas is genius!
    Brian
    Film ROCKS!
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

You see, I am very much a film photographer.
    You'll find some Lens Baby pictures here, I believe Photo John posted some in the galleries somewhere.

Oh and Randy at Holga Mods, has adapated a Holga lens for both Nikon and Canon digital cameras.
    He's a crazy man, (Sorry Randy! ) but what he does for Holgas is genius!
    Brian
    Film ROCKS!
    Brian, I have a foot in both worlds - film and digital, and I appreciate each medium for different reasons.

I've seen a few digital pics that looked like they were shot on chrome so I don't necessarily agree that film is "better." Of course, that's just my opinion, and opinions aren't facts.

Happy shootin'

Wow, I'm betting I could rig up something like this... Sa weet!!!

I have a few Nikon body cap covers kicking around somehere - now all I need is a spare Holga lens... :crazy:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information