• 06-19-2006, 07:20 AM
    photophorous
    New Device Disables Digital Cameras
    Happy Monday, everyone.

In case you haven't already seen this article, here it is. I thought it was interesting. I guess it was only a matter of time...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200606...digitalcameras
  • 06-19-2006, 07:31 AM
    Ronnoco
    Re: New Device Disables Digital Cameras
    Perhaps there is a NEW market for pocket size film cameras!

Ronnoco
  • 06-19-2006, 07:33 AM
    walterick
    A very interesting article!
  • 06-19-2006, 08:21 AM
    Axle
    Interesting indeed.

I may just have to drag out my old Minolta Riva Zoom 90
  • 06-20-2006, 01:55 PM
    SmartWombat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photophorous
    In case you haven't already seen this article, here it is.

So it's still at the prototype stage then.
    It won't work against any camera that has a mechanical shutter.
    No reflection off the sensor.

Is it likely to be fast enough to work against multiple cameras?
    Or perhaps not good at trade shows.
    I suspect it won't be fast enough for someone who whips out a mobile phone quickly, shoots and pops it back.

Interesting technology, but only from the point of view of countermeasures :)
  • 06-20-2006, 02:54 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Cool...
    Now if they can just get it to turn off mobile phones in movie theaters, and crying babies on long airplane flights... :D
  • 06-20-2006, 03:12 PM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    So it's still at the prototype stage then.
    It won't work against any camera that has a mechanical shutter.
    No reflection off the sensor.

Is it likely to be fast enough to work against multiple cameras?
    Or perhaps not good at trade shows.
    I suspect it won't be fast enough for someone who whips out a mobile phone quickly, shoots and pops it back.

Interesting technology, but only from the point of view of countermeasures :)

Yeah, I wonder how fast it is...or will be? Seems like someone that has the right camera could still sneak pictures, if they were careful. But who knows, it might be something that can be improved to a point where it's very effective. Imagine if people start buying them and putting them everywhere. Probably won't happen, but it would sure suck if it did.
  • 06-20-2006, 03:21 PM
    photophorous
    Re: Cool...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Now if they can just get it to turn off mobile phones in movie theaters, and crying babies on long airplane flights... :D

I can think of a lot of places where I wish mobile phones where blocked out. :thumbsup:
  • 06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
    Erik Stiegler
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photophorous
    I can think of a lot of places where I wish mobile phones where blocked out. :thumbsup:

You'll love being in one of those places when your wife or child tries to call you in an emergency.
  • 06-21-2006, 10:59 AM
    almo
    Scanning the inside of my camera???

That is an outright invasion of privacy. Not that anyone gives a crap about such concerns. Wiat til' they find out this thing damages the sensors in highend DSLR's. That will be a fun day.

Oh BTW 3300
  • 06-21-2006, 01:41 PM
    adina
    Quote:

Originally Posted by almo
    Scanning the inside of my camera???

That is an outright invasion of privacy. Not that anyone gives a crap about such concerns. Wiat til' they find out this thing damages the sensors in highend DSLR's. That will be a fun day.

Oh BTW 3300

Almo!

Hello!

Nice to see you!
  • 06-21-2006, 06:18 PM
    almo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    Almo!

Hello!

Nice to see you!

Hey. Schools out, preassuers off for a bit. Expect to see me around more...:):p:D
  • 06-21-2006, 10:28 PM
    2kids2shoot
    I imagine this will be very hard to implement, especially in a movie theater. Just thinking about how accurately a small beam of light would need to be to accurately find and then stay on the camera CCD thru the lens thay may be continually moving seems improbable. I may have to run some calculations...
  • 06-21-2006, 10:52 PM
    Skyman
    actually given that most digital video cameras pick up infra red spectrum light anyway, it is a wonder they haven't already thought to flood cinemas with infra red light. that would stop the movie piracy. as for targeting ccds the technology required to identify and then aim a beam of light at a ccd that is 1/3 of an inch in size is currently in anti missile devices so in theory plausible but probably cost prohibative. most of the applications i can think of where this would be useful it would prove far simpler to use a metal detector and xray
  • 06-22-2006, 06:52 AM
    masdog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyman
    actually given that most digital video cameras pick up infra red spectrum light anyway, it is a wonder they haven't already thought to flood cinemas with infra red light. that would stop the movie piracy. as for targeting ccds the technology required to identify and then aim a beam of light at a ccd that is 1/3 of an inch in size is currently in anti missile devices so in theory plausible but probably cost prohibative. most of the applications i can think of where this would be useful it would prove far simpler to use a metal detector and xray

IR wouldn't be too hard to block, though. You just need a simple filter and this item is countered.
  • 06-23-2006, 12:07 AM
    SmartWombat
    The IR filter in the Canon DSLR at least is a 1/4 wave coating, which relies on reflecting the IR and returning it 1/2 wavelength out of phase so that it cancels out.
    So if cheaper cameras use the same filtering technique rather than IR absorption filter they may reflect more IR and so give themselves away.
    A DSLR should only appear to this system while the shutter is open..