Need some buying advice

Printable View

• 11-21-2004, 02:06 AM
    bukharin
    Need some buying advice
    Hi everyone,

I'm an EOS owner who's decided to upgrade my system. I currently have an EOS 3000 with 28-80 and 75-300 "consumer" lenses. I can't decide between getting a 33v (elan 7) or a 300d (digital rebel). I'd also like to get better lenses, but have to decide on the body first (see below).

At the moment, it seems that the 33v has more features than the 300d, for half the price, and that the digital cameras are still advancing so rapidly that waiting might be sensible. Thus, I'm leaning towards the 33v. What do you think?

OTOH, I like the idea of going digital in that I can probably advance my photography skills more rapidly (eg taking lots of different exposures, fiddling with aperture settings and "film" types etc) - BUT, I'm really put off by the "short back focus" system on all but the most expensive digital EOS bodies. I feel that Canon has done the wrong thing by introducing digital cameras with CCDs smaller than 35mm - it really stuffs up compatibility, which is one of the great selling points of the EOS range.

In your opinion, do you think it's likely that Canon will stick with the short back focus system in the long term, or will they begin to produce affordable 35mm sensor DSLRs? Knowing the answer to this question would potentially make a huge difference in my lens purchasing...

On to lenses... I'm considering getting either a 24-85 or 28-135 IS lens to go with the new body. I'm also interested in getting the 100mm macro lens. In your opinion, would I be better off spending my money on the macro lens (allowing me to take photos that I currently can't) or a better zoom lens (no new functionality, but better image quality than my current lenses)?

Thanks very much for any thoughts you have!
  • 11-21-2004, 02:38 AM
    Peter_AUS
    Re: Need some buying advice
    As a fellow Aussie with some of the equipment you are looking at sort of, I would advise that you get better lenses for your camera and you probably will find that your photography will improve that way. Learn to use the light and realise that lenses are probably the most important part in photography, especially clear shots taken at a moments notice.

A good starting point would be a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens, without any confusion of the zoom factoring in. I have the 50mm f/1.8 probably the best bang for bucks lens canon makes.

Although the 28-135 IS lens is a good lens, in low light it does some hunting and has its sweet spots too, not at all focal lengths. I have this lens and use it primarily all the time.

Although the 300D has lots of happy customers, if you are looking at the Elan 7/EOS33, then you will find the 300D feels different in your hands compared to the film camera, where as the 10D feels the same as the EOS30/33 series camera. The 20D newest model is slightly smaller than the 10D and incorporates the new S series lenses designed to adjust for the crop factor you are talking about with the current prosumer range of DSLR's.

Don't get the Canon 75-300 IS lens, it isn't worth the trouble.

I would suggest if you want to get zoom lenses, looking at the 17-40 f/4 L lens, 70-200 f/4 L lens, the 100 f/2.8 macro lens, 50mm f/1.8, and a X1.5 converter which will go on the L lenses and change them to 25-60 f/5.6 L lens and 105-300 f/5.6 L lens. I don't think it will work with the 100 and 50 lens but then you can get an extension tube for those if you want to.

If you want a digital SLR camera, look really at the 10D or the 20D IMO.

Yes Canon will probably stick with the current sensors for their prosumer cameras and just improve the features and grain of images as pixel counts go up and up.

Really who can tell what is going to happen until it is announced, unless you have some inside info.

Hope that helps in some way and welcome to the forum.
  • 11-21-2004, 04:06 AM
    bukharin
    Wow Peter, thanks for your very detailed and thoughtful advice. You've helped me to confirm that I shouldn't go for digital just yet.

I definitely plan on getting some new lenses. First on my list is the 50mm f/1.8 - at that price and image quality, how can I resist? I've asked for it for Christmas! ;) What I'd really like to know is this - if I replaced my 28-80 lens with a better zoom lens, would I see a really huge improvement in my pictures, or would it be more subtle? Because I'm quite tempted to get the 100mm f/2.8 macro lens instead, as it would add a new capability rather than just quality to the system. I'm reluctant to shell out the $$$ to get both a high-quality zoom lens and the macro lens simultaneously, so I'd value your opinion as to which should be the higher priority...

Speaking of high-quality zooms, why not the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM? (money aside!!)

Despite the lens shopping, I'm still keen to get a new film body for 3 main features: (1) depth of field preview, which my current camera lacks; (2) reliable AF - with my current camera, I need to be very careful for every single photo because the AF doesn't always kick in (very annoying!); and (3) the ability to rewind film but leave a tab sticking out, so that I can easily change rolls mid-way (b&w - colour slide - colour neg etc). I feel that all of these features (especially 1st and 3rd) will let me explore my creativity a lot more than I can currently.
  • 11-21-2004, 04:34 AM
    bukharin
    As an aside, is there any reason I should be worried about buying a lens online? For example, this seems like an excellent deal, and the seller feedback is encouraging that I wouldn't be getting ripped off...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....853994289&rd=1

The price is so much cheaper than in Australia ($3000 rrp) that it's pretty tempting!! :)
  • 11-21-2004, 04:51 AM
    Peter_AUS
    The thing with crop factor is something to think about with Digital, hence my suggestion of the 17-40 f/4 L lens which is a well thought of lens, as would be the 24-70 L f/2.8 as well.

I don't have either lens (as yet, but is on my shopping list certainly). The f/4 lenses are generally half the price if not a 1/3 the price of the f/2.8 L lenses, that is why I suggested them in the first place.

If you are going to be taking quite a lot of macro shots then get the macro lens it will be worth it, you can also use it for portraiture work as well.

I haven't tried the new EOS33V camera but certainly looks like an improvement over the EOS30 that I have, with focusing that is, essentially the rest is the same. It would be a good idea to check out the EOS3 camera as well, which is a much better camera than the EOS30 and I would think again the EOS33V as well, supposed to be super fast focusing and has a better focusing matrix as well.

With the Hong Kong auction, remember the old saying Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware). They ask you to deposit the money into their account and that leaves you wide open for fraud, so just be careful. I know the price is excellent, but I would think it is a grey market lens (yes a real Canon Lens) and you might find warranty issues with Canon Australia. One of the reasons B&HPhoto&Video sell USA versions and Imported versions of cameras and lenses. Certainly don't purchase a digital camera from overseas (Canon one that is) as it won't be covered by warranty here in Australia at all.

www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au is a good place to purchase equipment online. I purchase stuff from overseas but selectively and mainly from B&HPhoto&Video. I have my wish list with them and have been chopping and changing things, remember you will always pay 10% more with GST on entry to Australia where the purchase is over $500Aus, so you have to factor that in as well.

Me I would rather pay the extra $$'s with a reputable place than take a chance of loosing quite a bit of money.

Hope that helps.
  • 11-22-2004, 12:15 AM
    bukharin
    Yes, good point about the ultra-wide lens...

So you'd consider B&HPhoto&Video to be a reputable place? Because unless I'm mistaken, their prices are also extremely good compared with buying locally, and according to their site you can get the "USA warrantied" version of a product which will enable warranty service anywhere in the world. For example:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BhMUW9gudT!-632591371?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=264304&is =USA
    or
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BhMUW9gudT!-632591371?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=194451&is =USA

Even allowing for shipping and GST, it's nearly 50% cheaper than buying in Australia. I'm always su****ious of things being "too good to be true", especially online, but it seems that Canon Australia is just overpriced. What do you think?

Thanks again for all your help - it's much appreciated!
  • 11-22-2004, 04:25 AM
    shadz
    I'll throw my recommendation in for B&H. I've had no problems and my stuff shows up on time and in good shape.
  • 11-23-2004, 05:52 AM
    bukharin
    Thanks shadz :)
  • 11-23-2004, 10:11 AM
    ACArmstrong
    People I trust and have always done well for me online:

B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Adorama http://www.adorama.com

Cameta Camera (not a huge selection, but great prices on bodies): I think it's http://www.cameta.com but I'm not sure. You can find them online - they sell new stuff only thru ebay.