ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Which shot should I enter?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Way Life Should Be

1 20.00%
  • Easy Like Sunday Morning

3 60.00%
  • We All Live In A Yellow... Kayak

0 0%
  • If Pennywise Drove A Tractor

1 20.00%

Need help deciding.

As some of you may know, I've been entering in the Last Photographer Standing Contest the last few rounds. I'm kinda stuck for this round on what shot I should enter. The theme this round is "Surf or Turf". Which shot do you all think or should I keep shooting?

The Way Life Should Be

Easy Like Sunday Morning

We All Live In A Yellow... Kayak

If Pennywise Drove A Tractor
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Re: Need help deciding.

My votes for #2 but there all very good shots. I don't see how the last one fits the theme??
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Lets just say the theme isn't always strictly adhered to and several people were entering grass shots. A couple people thought I should enter that one but, it's actually my least favorite. Thought I would add it to the selection to see if others liked that one as well. Here's the entry thread if you'd like to see some of the others. Not too many submissions yet. The deadline for this round is Sunday at midnight EST. I'm sure there will be at least another 50 or 60 over the coming days.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I also voted for #2. Sweeeeet!
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike

I forgot to add a "These suck, keep shooting" option. So if that's the case please don't be afraid to say so. I still have more time to shoot.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Shouldn't this have been posted on Photo Critique? I mean, what you're really asking for is a critique on these images to decide which one is the best, right?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi John. A couple of these were posted in the critique forum separately. Just curious what others thought I should enter as I can't decide. If you think it would be better suited in the critique forum, please feel free to move it. Wasn't sure where would be best. So which did you pick John? ;)

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I like the 4th one. It's the most colorful and original. It may not really fit in with the surf part of surf and turf but... you do have the beach umbrella in there. I think the shot could be better, however, if cropped tighter and taken from a different angle, like low from the side-front, looking up at the umbrella.

Anyway, my vote is for #4.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Thanks Ken. Unfortunately no reshoot possible on this one. This is one of those sites while driving and the tractor is no longer there
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I haven't officially voted but my first reaction is that the first two shots are about people, given the title of the shots. I think you'd have more impact if you were closer to the people, probably with a wide angle lens. If the title is "surf OR turf", do you need both? Just a question about interpretation, that's all.

John has a good point but I think you're OK with this post here. There have been similar posts like this in Viewfinder in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I haven't officially voted but my first reaction is that the first two shots are about people, given the title of the shots. I think you'd have more impact if you were closer to the people, probably with a wide angle lens. If the title is "surf OR turf", do you need both? Just a question about interpretation, that's all.

John has a good point but I think you're OK with this post here. There have been similar posts like this in Viewfinder in the past.
    Thanks av. VERY good question. Honestly, I hadn't really thought that deep into it I saw the theme "Surf or Turf" and working on the ocean I had several coastal scenes pop into my mind. The first 2 shots represent variations of those scenes.

If you want to move this to the critique form please feel free. I really wasn't sure where I should post it at.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thread Information