Need help deciding.

Printable View

• 08-01-2007, 04:44 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Need help deciding.
    As some of you may know, I've been entering in the Last Photographer Standing Contest the last few rounds. I'm kinda stuck for this round on what shot I should enter. The theme this round is "Surf or Turf". Which shot do you all think or should I keep shooting?

The Way Life Should Be
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...753-Edit-2.jpg

Easy Like Sunday Morning
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...4/DSC_9806.jpg

We All Live In A Yellow... Kayak
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...4/DSC_9707.jpg

If Pennywise Drove A Tractor
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...4/DSC_9660.jpg
  • 08-01-2007, 05:07 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Need help deciding.
    My votes for #2 but there all very good shots. I don't see how the last one fits the theme??
  • 08-01-2007, 05:14 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Lets just say the theme isn't always strictly adhered to and several people were entering grass shots. A couple people thought I should enter that one but, it's actually my least favorite. Thought I would add it to the selection to see if others liked that one as well. Here's the entry thread if you'd like to see some of the others. Not too many submissions yet. The deadline for this round is Sunday at midnight EST. I'm sure there will be at least another 50 or 60 over the coming days.
  • 08-01-2007, 05:37 PM
    mn shutterbug
    I also voted for #2. Sweeeeet!
  • 08-01-2007, 05:39 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Thanks Mike :D

I forgot to add a "These suck, keep shooting" option. So if that's the case please don't be afraid to say so. I still have more time to shoot.
  • 08-01-2007, 05:50 PM
    Photo-John
    Shouldn't this have been posted on Photo Critique? I mean, what you're really asking for is a critique on these images to decide which one is the best, right?
  • 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Hi John. A couple of these were posted in the critique forum separately. Just curious what others thought I should enter as I can't decide. If you think it would be better suited in the critique forum, please feel free to move it. Wasn't sure where would be best. So which did you pick John? ;)

Aaron
  • 08-01-2007, 06:12 PM
    KenB
    I like the 4th one. It's the most colorful and original. It may not really fit in with the surf part of surf and turf but... you do have the beach umbrella in there. :) I think the shot could be better, however, if cropped tighter and taken from a different angle, like low from the side-front, looking up at the umbrella.

Anyway, my vote is for #4.
  • 08-01-2007, 06:23 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Thanks Ken. Unfortunately no reshoot possible on this one. This is one of those sites while driving and the tractor is no longer there :(
  • 08-01-2007, 06:33 PM
    another view
    I haven't officially voted but my first reaction is that the first two shots are about people, given the title of the shots. I think you'd have more impact if you were closer to the people, probably with a wide angle lens. If the title is "surf OR turf", do you need both? Just a question about interpretation, that's all.

John has a good point but I think you're OK with this post here. There have been similar posts like this in Viewfinder in the past.
  • 08-01-2007, 06:48 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    I haven't officially voted but my first reaction is that the first two shots are about people, given the title of the shots. I think you'd have more impact if you were closer to the people, probably with a wide angle lens. If the title is "surf OR turf", do you need both? Just a question about interpretation, that's all.

John has a good point but I think you're OK with this post here. There have been similar posts like this in Viewfinder in the past.

Thanks av. VERY good question. Honestly, I hadn't really thought that deep into it :o I saw the theme "Surf or Turf" and working on the ocean I had several coastal scenes pop into my mind. The first 2 shots represent variations of those scenes.

If you want to move this to the critique form please feel free. I really wasn't sure where I should post it at.