ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

A Must See Amazing Website!

These images were taken about 75 years ago.....some of the best photos I've ever viewed

I found viewing this website very inspiring to say the least. I wonder if the biggest and best sensor - or the next camera coming down the pike would do as well.

Check it out - you won't be sorry.....amazing! :thumbsup:

4×5 Kodachromes « Pavel Kosenko's blog (English version)

Liz

Re: A Must See Amazing Website!

I have seen these before Liz. Yes I agree they are awesome.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Done on 8 ISO film. Notice how the subjects are all posed and still. The one that intrigues me is that of the tank going into the mud. I don't know how they managed to freeze the action.

I used to use 25 ISO Kodachrome. I tried the 64 ISO variety - it has a reddish look that I didn't like. Working with such slow film was really difficult and I don't regret the move to digital at all
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Done on 8 ISO film. Notice how the subjects are all posed and still. The one that intrigues me is that of the tank going into the mud. I don't know how they managed to freeze the action.

I used to use 25 ISO Kodachrome. I tried the 64 ISO variety - it has a reddish look that I didn't like. Working with such slow film was really difficult and I don't regret the move to digital at all
    I don't regret the move to digital either! It's a lot easier to work with. I was one of those persons that held back for a long time as I loved film, especially b&w. When I finally took the plunge, I never looked back!

At any rate, I am intrigued with the images on the website - especially the lighting. It is well done - great photography and a pleasure to view.

Thanks for posting your thoughts!

Liz

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I can't find the info that says it is on 8 iso.
    I can tell they used some very strong light but at that iso, they still had to stay still a bit, I'd guess.

What I get from it is the sacrifices these people made.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Those were amazing Liz, and I had not seen them before. Pic #27, 28 and 29 were taken where I worked when I was in the Navy (but certainly NOT in 1942) Corpus Christi Naval Air Station. I really enjoyed them, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I can't find the info that says it is on 8 iso.
    OK it may have been 10 ISO. According to Wikipedia KODAK only made 5x4 Kodachrome in 8 and 10 ISO varieties and my guess is that the "faster" film was balanced for Tungsten light (in my-generation 35mm the daylight type was 25 ISO and the tungsten type was 40 ISO).

I think that making most of these images must have been very much like making a film for cinema at the time with studio lights and reflectors and stuff.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I used to shoot Kodachrome 25 back in the 70s. It had such phenomenal latitude. Thing is, I never really thought of it as slow, since it's what I used all the time. I could load up the 64 for cloudy days or "action" shots, and my camera's fastest shutter was 1/250th, so really fast film wouldn't have been all that useful anyway!

These days, with my digital SLR starting at 200, it's a whole different frame of reference.

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    I used to shoot Kodachrome 25 back in the 70s. It had such phenomenal latitude. Thing is, I never really thought of it as slow, since it's what I used all the time. I could load up the 64 for cloudy days or "action" shots, and my camera's fastest shutter was 1/250th, so really fast film wouldn't have been all that useful anyway!

These days, with my digital SLR starting at 200, it's a whole different frame of reference.
    View cameras with home made wet plates you are looking of ISOs of 10 to 25. Now that is SLOW,
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

detail of those images is amazing

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    OK it may have been 10 ISO. According to Wikipedia KODAK only made 5x4 Kodachrome in 8 and 10 ISO varieties and my guess is that the "faster" film was balanced for Tungsten light.
    You would be correct. The first generation Kodachrome (1936-1950) was either ISO-8 or ISO-10. In the 1950s speed was boosted to ISO-12, then in 1961 we got the Kodachrome II at ISO-25, and Kodachrome X in 1962 at ISO-64. 1970 Kodachrome 200 and the final K-14 process and the stablization of the names to Kodachrome 25, Kodachrome 64 and Kodachrome 200 (the tungsten balanced Kodachrome 40 mixed in there)

(Got these details from the book 500 Cameras but out by the George Eastman House)

As for the images, seen them before and they still blow me away!
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Just Me

There have been very talented artists throughout the history and in every area (sculpture, architecture, painting, technology,...etc) who made great use of limited material and technology available at the time and were able to get results, we - today despite all the advanced technology we have, could only dream of, photography is no difference. The light, compositions, and color I saw in those pictures showed amazing talents considering that when the picture was taken, they had no way of knowing if it worked until they saw a small sign of it only when the negative was developed and became certain only when the print was made.

What amazing shots just wish i produce something half as good
    To me, The goal is to move people, to make people think, but never, never at the expense of the person you're photographing. To laugh with, yes - but never to laugh at. - Lord Snowdon

Martyn
    Olympus E30 HLD 4, E520, E300 & HLD 3
    Olympus OM10 Zuiko OM 28mm 2.8 OM 50mm 1.8 & 70-200mm
    ZD 14-45mm 14-42mm 14-54mm 40-150mm 70-300mm 50-200mm 2.8 / 3.5
    ZD 35mm Macro EX - 25
    Sigma 50-500mm To be Obtained
    Olympus FL36R
    Metz Flash 28AF-30

www.cannoncannonphotography.webs.com

WOW That is all I can say... What a beautiful set it really is something I love ww2 era photos

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Thread Information