ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: My trip to Africa, and post #5k!!

The hippo shot is jaw-dropping !

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Thanks Susaan. I really wanted a shot of a hippo with it's mouth open, but it didn't happen. Right after we started to pull away from this hippo, it let out a huge yawn, but I missed the shot do to being in a moving truck.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

WOW Mike - looks like a wonderful time! the hippo shot and your shot of the foggy morning are my favs! Great captures!
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Thanks Ben. Yesterday I was just thinking that I hadn't seen you post in a while. It's good to see you on the boards again.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I have been quite busy lately... haven't had a whole lot of time for much of anything - trying to build a portfolio - so its been shoot / edit / deliver ... repeat

Then 5 days in vegas - just been crazy around here lately ....

Glad to see you and the wife had a good time, got alot of great captures, and made it back safely!

We will have to get together some weekend and hit the baraboo area.
    Ben

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Bump.

Wow, I can't believe it's been over 3 months since we got back from this trip. I finally had some time to put together a gallery of all of my photos from this trip that I printed and put in an album. If anyone in interested in looking at them, you can find them here.

http://www.magiclightphotography.com/africa/
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Awesome gallery. Thank goodness for long lenses, eh? Is the water buffalo sticking out his tongue at you?
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Wow. I am not sure how I over looked this post. Great work. The pictures are awesome.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Wow what beautiful pictures. What a trip of a life time.

Ray Still

GB1

Mike -

Wonderful shots and from the sound of your write up a very fun time too! I really like the old architecture of the first (night) shot and the way you took a good variety of photos instead of only shooting the animals. I am still trying to figure out the Zebra shot.. no wonder those lines confuse predators. The black and white shot is a nice mix up and the elephant with the scar is great documentary and commentary. This shows that captions really help explain things sometimes and can add to the overall experience.

I'm not sure I'd pet the cat btw He looks a little untrusting. Maybe a tame lion who doesn't have anything to fear from a tiny little human ...

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for looking and commenting everyone!

GB, that cheetah has only gone after 2 people. One was the feeder when she tried to take the bucket away, before he was done. A little swat got her attention.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

WOW Mike - Looks like you had a trip that most people will dream about! Some amazing captures there.

My faves were -
    3304 - My most favorite! Loved the composition here. The depth is great and the color changes is just amazing. AMAZING!! Print it and hang it!!!

Your landscape shots are great. Really liked 3578 (Giraffe silhouette)! Looks like you had some great skies to enhance your shots! 3654 is sweet too!

Looks like you had a great time!
    Ben

wow dude, your pictures are absolutely amazing. All the animal ones are just jaw dropping. Looks like it was a great trip

Hey Ben,

Thanks for looking and for the kind words. Good to see you still posting. I want to make a trip to the Baraboo area sometime this fall, but my weekends are looking pretty booked for now...

Thanks Photo Kap. It was a great trip and I wish I could do it again. I'm glad you liked the pics.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thanks again for sharing those pics. They are fantastic, I also love cats, love the Serval.
    Might of missed your explanation of why you were in Africa, refresh my memory.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barb_48
    Thanks again for sharing those pics. They are fantastic, I also love cats, love the Serval.
    Might of missed your explanation of why you were in Africa, refresh my memory.
    Thanks
    Thanks Barb,

We were there on vacation, and I would love to go back!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information