ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Question Wed. Fluff: Clockwise or Counter Clockwise

When you shoot portrait (vs. landscape), which way do you rotate the camera vertically? Do you rotate CCW, so that your shutter hand is on top of the vertical camera or do you rotate CW, so that your shutter hand is on the bottom of the camera?

I now rotate CCW, so that my shutter hand is on top of the camera. When I first got my camera, I didn't pay much attention. I just turned it whichever way was comfortable at the moment, and MAN did I pay for it in post-processing. Pictures had to be turned all different directions. That's why I now almost always rotate CCW.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Mornin' Andy

In the beginning I was much like you in that I rotated what ever way, but I would get tired of flipping prints so that all the verticle ones went the same way in the envelope. Yeah, I'm a bit anal about stuff like that.. It finally bothered me enough that I started making a conscious effort to always rotate the same direction each time and that direction was CW. Now that I shoot with my D100 and bought the vertical grip, I rotate CCW.

It'll be interesting to see what everyone else replies!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

D'oh!

This is going to bug me. I know that 90% of the time I turn the camera one way, but I never think about it, I just do it. And now I can't figure out which way it is. Probably counter-clockwise so the shutter button is up... but I'll have to experiment. If you think about it, clock-wise is probably the more stable position (elbow in) for hand-holding.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by ACArmstrong
    When you shoot portrait (vs. landscape), which way do you rotate the camera vertically? Do you rotate CCW, so that your shutter hand is on top of the vertical camera or do you rotate CW, so that your shutter hand is on the bottom of the camera?

It was easier for me with my right hand on top (my cameras don't have vertical shutter releases) so that's what I started with. Then I heard that you could hold the camera steadier with your right hand on the bottom and both elbows braced against your body. I tried that for awhile, but now switched back to right hand on top because I seem to do better that way.

Plus, when the camera is on a tripod, it's turned that way anyway for vertical shots. This way all of the shots are facing one of two directions (instead of three). When I was using my right hand on the bottom, I'd have the same problem - some shots are horizontal, some need to rotate CW, others CCW. That was a pain .

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I'll bite....

I turn my camera CCW, always have. It just seems natural.
    Back in college I did few shooting gigs for a company that required I shoot CW, for their printing purposes they told me, and MAN was that uncomfortable, especially with an F3.

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

It depends on what I'm shooting!

I usually rotate so that my hand is on top. Seems to work better that way. However, if I'm in a crowd situation and there are people behind me trying to see in front of me [like a band] i will rotate it so that my hand is below my chin and my elbow isn't sticking out blocking the people who are trying to enjoy the show. At a recent burlesque festival, there was a real jerk photographer in front of me who acted like he was the only one at the show. Grrrr.... he was photoing for his own benefit, not paid by the organizers... and his elbow kept ending up in my face, blocking my view, and *especially* blocking *my* camera. I always try to be considerate to the people around me... I was a Girl Scout, what can I say?!?!

Megan

CW, but I am also right handed and "left eyed", so going CCW seems weird since I have to move the entire camera in front of my face to put the viewfinder on my left eye.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Ccw

Quote Originally Posted by ACArmstrong

I now rotate CCW, so that my shutter hand is on top of the camera. When I first got my camera, I didn't pay much attention. I just turned it whichever way was comfortable at the moment, and MAN did I pay for it in post-processing. Pictures had to be turned all different directions. That's why I now almost always rotate CCW.

Naturally! OK, actually about 99% of the time. The odd exception is when I've got something on the left that will block my flash. Then I shoot CW. But that is the exception, not the rule.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information