ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: My new website

My new website

Hi all

After months and months of dithering I am starting to develop my own 'proper' website. At the moment its on an initial free trial. What I would like is feedback on it .. does it work well? How else might I arrange it? What about the colours, etc?

The site is at:

http://didache.photium.com/

Please bear in mind though that I have put it together fairly quickly as I don't want to spend hours and hours tweaking it before I get some real consumer feeback.

Even if you don't feel able to comment on it, feel free to browse the pictures.

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: My new website

Good job Mike!
    Websites are a lot of work but they have their own rewards.
    I look forward to seeing how things go.
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

P.S. I have just done a plug for our forum site on the 'About' page, and included a link in the 'Links' page.

Thanks Brian ... much appreciated

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Wow! Your images are always so well thought out, well composed and all round fantastic!
    And to have letters after your name...AWESOME!
    I WANT letters after my name!!! *stamps feet*
    I LOVE your website Mike. It's so easy to navigate!

drg

A fair start.
    I'd think about doing something different with the ARPS in the Banner area as it looks upon casual inspection as if that's your last name.

The 'purple' I like, but it doesn't always work well on all monitors and under varying light conditions.

Are you going to stick with the newsletter/journalistic page style for the start page? The text I feel may distract from the photography.

These things are always a challenge and I wish you the best and will continue to look in on the results!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks Ali and drg

drg .. the colours are definitely something I will work on .. I want something much bolder, although legible. I prefer dark colours with light lettering, but I will experiment. Fair point about the purple (the default is a dark blue which might be better). Fair point too about the ARPS - perhaps a dash between them and my name, or dots after the letters? Check back in a day or two - it will probably look quite different!

Ali .. well, you COULD get the letters if you were prepared to put a little work in. I would guess that you were LRPS standard, at least, based on what I have seen of your work.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    Thanks Ali and drg

Ali .. well, you COULD get the letters if you were prepared to put a little work in. I would guess that you were LRPS standard, at least, based on what I have seen of your work.

Cheers
    Mike
    Wow! Really? I wouldn't even know how to go about gaining those letters. Is it possible to do these things online or via mail I wonder? Or would I have to attend seminars etc.

By the way, was your site green just now? I'm not sure I like the green.

Impressive Mike, your off to a great start.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Old timer - thank you

Ali .. it's grey now .. I keep changing the colours and will probably keep doing so until I find a combination I like

Regarding the letters. The Royal Photographic society is probably the oldest and most distinguished photographic society in the world. They award three levels of distinction ...

LRPS (Licentiate) - basically tests for competence
    ARPS (Associate) - which I am - a higher level which is looking for technical excellence but also evidence of a personal style (ie the photos are clearly from one particular photgraphic vision)
    FRPS (Fellow) - the photographic gods!

All are tested by portfolio which CAN be submitted as CDs or, preferably, as prints. It takes 10 for the LRPS, 15 for the ARPS and 20 for the FRPS.

I am serious that you are probably LRPS standard - the key would be the work you put in compiling the panel of 10 prints, mounting them, etc. There is a fee to be paid, and you cannot use the letters unless you are a member of the society - however, you can do the assessment and, if you pass, then join. They do not give them away lightly though and people have to be prepared for second and even third attempts. Typically the pass rate is only around 60% of the panels submitted.

If you are curious enough to want to know a little more, drop me a PM. In the meantime, my site (the grey, not green one ) has both my L and A panels in the galleries. They were both apparently regarded as very good and solid passes, so you can get an idea of the standard they are looking for. You will also find there panel mock-ups.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Didache; 06-04-2008 at 04:38 PM.
    Mike Dales ARPS

Great site. I found it very fast, very easy to navigate and easy to use. Good work.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

The absence of Flash, whistles and jingling bells makes for a pleasent change from the over embellished, irritating photography sites that I have visited on the web.
    Websites are about information and I feel yours provides this in a simple basic format and that is all that is needed.
    It is fast and easy on the eye and navigation is easy.. On the banner on the homepage I would make the ARPS a slightly smaller font than the one used for your name.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Western guy & Tom .. thankee kindly

Tom .. the speed was one of the things that impressed me when I tried a friend's site (same company) - that was what attracted me to that particular company. Re the ARPS - I have done as you suggested (much better!) and also put my name in upper and lower case to reduce confusion.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

It's in my Favorites.
    PLEASE ASK BEFORE MAKING ANY EDITS. THANK YOU.

If I care enough to leave a critique or comment on your work, please return the favor.

My Aviation photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/addiesgranddaddy

Everything else:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9367218@N03/

Thread Information