ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My new Plaything!

For some time now my arsenal has been without a wide angle lens that really got the job done. I hope I have solved that problem with the Tokina 12-24mm. I haven't been able to give it a true workout yet but I did take it to lunch with me. With or without a wide angle that is one big burger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new Plaything!-dsc_1480-2-640.jpg   My new Plaything!-dsc_1483-2-640.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: My new Plaything!

All right, I am officially jealous with all of these new Tokina 12 24's . I really need (want) one, but have some bills to pay and a son to send off to college. They did just come out with the 11 - 16/2.8 so I guess I can wait for a while, although the 16-50/2.8 would make a great event lens. Nice shot by the way, made me go an make myself a sandwich for a snack.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

A wide has been on my wish list for some time now. All my kids are through college and on their own so that wasn't a problem. So the need/want took center stage. I am very hopeful that this lens will fill the void.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

And for today's forecast, it will be mostly sunny with a few passing Tokina showers
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Nice. Now if my skill level can catch up with the glass quality. I'm jealous you got to use yours already but did you actually eat that thing?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Congrats on the new lens Larry. Look forward to seeing your work with it.

OK, who ate that burger? It's a burger made for JS!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I know the feeling Larry. I really missed having a true WA lens in my kit. The Tokina filled that gap nicely.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

Congratulations Larry! Awesome. I just love that lens - although I have never seen it in person. I've seen some really nice images coming from the lens. I sold my 17-40L because it was one of my heavier ones. This is comparable - but I would LOVE to have it!

In the meantime, I'll enjoy seeing what you and Frog post.

ETA: Was that "your" lunch? :-)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Nice. Now if my skill level can catch up with the glass quality. I'm jealous you got to use yours already but did you actually eat that thing?
    Every bite!!

Nikon Samurai #13

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

ugh now I'm really hungry. And there's just about no food in the apartment. Wish the burger place down the street hadn't burned down...

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Congratulations Larry! Awesome. I just love that lens - although I have never seen it in person. I've seen some really nice images coming from the lens. I sold my 17-40L because it was one of my heavier ones. This is comparable - but I would LOVE to have it!

In the meantime, I'll enjoy seeing what you and Frog post.

ETA: Was that "your" lunch? :-)

Liz
    Liz I'm so use to heavy Nikon glass like the 28-70mm f2.8 that this lens actually feels light. I'm looking forward to having it on the camera.

As for that burger I did eat it less the bread. I'm on a low carb diet so I just ate the meat and cheese. Sorry Frog I was bragging a little there earlier. The truth is I have eaten them before along with a large order of fries but no more. I'm down 20 pound and looking to lose more.

Nikon Samurai #13

Larry, looking forward to seeing more shots from that lens. Glad to hear you have a wide angle now. Be sure to let me know how you like. Like the first shot by the way. Nice angle and color on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by brhitch
    Larry, looking forward to seeing more shots from that lens. Glad to hear you have a wide angle now. Be sure to let me know how you like. Like the first shot by the way. Nice angle and color on that one.

Thanks Brian. As you know I've need one for some time. I really missed not having a wide. I had gotten use to shooting wide with film and once I went to digital and 1.5 multiplier nothing I had was wide enough. I bought the 18-70mm with the D70 but sold it with the camera when I got the D200 last year so the widest lens I had was a 28-70mm and in most situations that just didn't do the trick.

Nikon Samurai #13

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Thanks Brian. As you know I've need one for some time. I really missed not having a wide. I had gotten use to shooting wide with film and once I went to digital and 1.5 multiplier nothing I had was wide enough. I bought the 18-70mm with the D70 but sold it with the camera when I got the D200 last year so the widest lens I had was a 28-70mm and in most situations that just didn't do the trick.
    I can't read this thread anymore - or I may cave. My widest lens is also 28mm - the Canon 28mm/f1.8. Nice but not what I call wide.

Liz

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

My widest was 18 and it wasn't enough.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I can't read this thread anymore - or I may cave. My widest lens is also 28mm - the Canon 28mm/f1.8. Nice but not what I call wide.

Liz
    I agree Liz the 28mm just doesn't get it done as a wide with digital. With film I shot a lot with a 24mm which I loved. I think I am really going to get into the 12mm or 18mm equivalent as it were.

Nikon Samurai #13

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Heart attack on a plate !!
    Nice lens though
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

OT I look forward to seeing your work with it!
    Jimmy B

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Congrats on the new lens Larry. Look forward to seeing your work with it.

OK, who ate that burger? It's a burger made for JS!

lol, as soon as I saw that sandwich I said " I want 2!... ok, maybe THREE".

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    lol, as soon as I saw that sandwich I said " I want 2!... ok, maybe THREE".
    JS
    If I could ever get you down here in the Bluegrass I would take you out for a couple of those. One of those and and a large coke for under five bucks. Good eaten in the country.

(Oops sorry JS Sarah isn't hitting on you this is Old Timer at his daughters in Nashville. Thought I was logged on but was in as her on her computer.)

looks like a cool lens, I'm not quite to this point yet skill and $$$... But it does make that burger look great, big and artery clogging. I'd still eat it though, keep up the good work.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Liz

Re: Hey Mr. Clinton Look This Way!

OT - you and Brhitch and your great images made me cave! Just couldn't take the pressure anymore. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing the 12-24 - I've always been tempted. I sold all of my heavier lenses due to back problems; however, this one isn't "too" heavy. At any rate, I can still use the XTi with a somewhat heavy lens as long as I'm careful how long I carry it around. This one is SWEET!

I have a question and would like some input. I have a slight camera shake which doesn't show up often. There are no noticeable affects of cs when I use my 28mm/f1.8 or 50mm/f1.4. I've only had a problem with the longer lenses. Of course, the 1.8 and 1.4 aperture helps also.

Do you think I'd have a problem with the 12-24?

Thanks for any input.

Liz

I have a question and would like some input. I have a slight camera shake which doesn't show up often. There are no noticeable affects of cs when I use my 28mm/f1.8 or 50mm/f1.4. I've only had a problem with the longer lenses. Of course, the 1.8 and 1.4 aperture helps also.

Do you think I'd have a problem with the 12-24?

Thanks for any input.

Liz
    Liz, in my opinion the 12-24 would not present a problem at all. I think like your that the problem would be much more apparent with a longer lens. Keep in mind also that the 12-24 is an f4 lens. I think it is remarkably light although built very well. Drop in B&H on your next excursion to New York and check it out. I have been very pleased with mine.

Larry

Nikon Samurai #13

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Liz, in my opinion the 12-24 would not present a problem at all. I think like your that the problem would be much more apparent with a longer lens. Keep in mind also that the 12-24 is an f4 lens. I think it is remarkably light although built very well. Drop in B&H on your next excursion to New York and check it out. I have been very pleased with mine.

Larry
    Wow! I didn't realize it is an F4 lens! Now I feel more confident that it will work! OK! I'm pushed over the edge now. There goes my rebate check plus tax return plus.

And to think at one time it crossed my mind that I might give up my DSLR!!!!!!!! Had I done that I'd be buying a new camera! I like the G9 - but there is NO comparison. My hands just itch to pick up my XTi after a short time.

Thanks so much Larry!

WHOOPS! I apologize to you, OT, and everyone else. I posted in the wrong place. I meant to post this under your Tokina topic.

I'll email Steve (anotherview) to see if he can move them..........I'm sorry!

ETA - Steve, thanks for moving my posts from the Clinton thrread to the Tokina thread!

Liz

Pentax Forum Moderator

Nice OT...with all the rave here on PR about the Tokina glass, I think the big boys had better sit up and take notice. I've been thinking about staying with Pentax glass, but with everything I'm seeing, I am seriously going to look at the Tokina, et al.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information