ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Charlotte is a cool town (13 pics, might take a while)

We were lucky enough to get there the day of the St. Patrick's Day Parade. I swear, the whole town was there, since once you walked away from it the alleys and side streets were DEAD empty...it was kind of eerie in a away.

But anyway, here's the town through my vewfinder. Overall I was very disappointed in the weekend's take. I spent so much time learning the new gear it really got in the way of me shooting. Image Sabilization, however, ROCKS. I was surrounded by photographers left and right. A security guard in a bank headquarters started up a conversation with me about his days in the Air Force photography division. I got my first look at a Digital Rebel when a grandfather enxt to me was using one. And I laid eyes on not one but two D2Hs hanging off the shoulders of a photog covering the event. He had his little son with him, I hope he follows in daddy's footsteps, there can never be enough of us out there.

Sorry about the colors, for the most part they were decent, but on several occassions the sun washed them out, especially in the skin tones. Next time I will custom white balance instead of depending on the preset daylight setting, I'm sure I'll get more saturation.

Less banter, more pictures.

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Nice series Sebastian. How are you liking the new gear?

I've been shooting with my D100 and am relatively happy with it. I think the meter may be a bit off though, but I'm not 100%sure if it is the camera or the operator. I'm guessing the latter.

Of the ones you posted, I like the first one (the reflection of the building in a building) and the last one the best.

Thanks for sharing these with us.
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I really like your EYE, Sebastian...

First of all, as New Yorker of partial Irish decent, I have to say I'm a little disturbed at a community that has their St. Patrick's Day parade on a day OTHER than St. Patrick's Day, but what can you expect from southerners?... ;)

Anyway, I don't want to scare you or anything, but you "look" at cityscapes much the same way I do. I really like the angles and framing you choose in your shots.

Yeah, it's kind of a "trail by fire" with your new gear, but you seem to be handling it well.

Good stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    We were lucky enough to get there the day of the St. Patrick's Day Parade. I swear, the whole town was there, since once you walked away from it the alleys and side streets were DEAD empty...it was kind of eerie in a away.

But anyway, here's the town through my vewfinder. Overall I was very disappointed in the weekend's take. I spent so much time learning the new gear it really got in the way of me shooting. Image Sabilization, however, ROCKS. I was surrounded by photographers left and right. A security guard in a bank headquarters started up a conversation with me about his days in the Air Force photography division. I got my first look at a Digital Rebel when a grandfather enxt to me was using one. And I laid eyes on not one but two D2Hs hanging off the shoulders of a photog covering the event. He had his little son with him, I hope he follows in daddy's footsteps, there can never be enough of us out there.

Sorry about the colors, for the most part they were decent, but on several occassions the sun washed them out, especially in the skin tones. Next time I will custom white balance instead of depending on the preset daylight setting, I'm sure I'll get more saturation.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    Nice series Sebastian. How are you liking the new gear?

I've been shooting with my D100 and am relatively happy with it. I think the meter may be a bit off though, but I'm not 100%sure if it is the camera or the operator. I'm guessing the latter.

Of the ones you posted, I like the first one (the reflection of the building in a building) and the last one the best.

Thanks for sharing these with us.
    ~Brian
    Brian,

First, thanks for the comments, always appreciated.

You know, I find it interesting that you mention the D100's meter. When the camera first hit the market, everyone was bitching an moaning about it underexposing. Even Phil Askey's own samples were much darker than I thought they should have been. When I received my first body a year after the camera first shipped, I noticed it too. If the scene is average, it is pretty much right on, but as soon as there is a bright source of light, either highlights or light source, the meter underexposes between a third and a full stop, sometime even more. This was also the same with my second body, bought six months later. This would be no big deal if I could have learned something that triggered it if it reacted in a predictable way, but the results were so seemingly random that my only course of action was to check the histogram for every critical shot. You don't specify what sort of metering issues you're having, but I though I'd share mine nontheless in case you're wondering if anyone else has had any problems. Now, it's wasn't a serious issue, it was just inconvenient. I was able to make due with it just fine, and eventually got used to the workflow.

The Canon is taking some getting used to because it seems to meter just like it would if it was loaded with slide film. It always seems to try to average the scene, sometimes blowing highlights, sometimes blocking shadows. A huge majority of the time however, it gets it the way it looked, with the exception of really tricky lighting, in which case it reacts in a very predictable manner, much like my film bodies always did. I find myself worrying much less about exposure, and when it gets tricky I find that the old tricks I used when shooting film are working almost flawelessly. The biggest thing I worry about now is white balance to nail the colors.

I don't know if your D100 is doing what mine were, but don't let it worry you too much. Unless it's really severe, I don't see why anything more drastic than adjusting your shooting style would be in order.

If you have any questions about the Nikon feel free to email or message me. I am by no means an expert on it, and I tend to develop my own ways of looking at and working around these cameras, but who knows, maybe something I experienced could benefit you?

Take care.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    First of all, as New Yorker of partial Irish decent, I have to say I'm a little disturbed at a community that has their St. Patrick's Day parade on a day OTHER than St. Patrick's Day, but what can you expect from southerners?... ;)

Anyway, I don't want to scare you or anything, but you "look" at cityscapes much the same way I do. I really like the angles and framing you choose in your shots.

Yeah, it's kind of a "trail by fire" with your new gear, but you seem to be handling it well.

Good stuff...
    Thanks Steve. And no, your statement didn't scare me, I look at it as the compliment that it is.

Mark this date in your calendar, I actually understood what you wrote to me for once.
    -Seb

My website

Nice work, Seb! The only way to learn a piece of new gear is to get out and shoot with it. I've only used a VR lens once and I was impressed with it but don't have any of those lenses yet. That was back when Nikon only had the 80-400 which is really slow and noisy. I do have a nice shot because of it and keep looking at the 70-200 VR... Oh, yeah - it won't fit in my Domke bag so I can't get it!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Nice work, Seb! The only way to learn a piece of new gear is to get out and shoot with it. I've only used a VR lens once and I was impressed with it but don't have any of those lenses yet. That was back when Nikon only had the 80-400 which is really slow and noisy. I do have a nice shot because of it and keep looking at the 70-200 VR... Oh, yeah - it won't fit in my Domke bag so I can't get it!
    Thanks Steve.

I played with the 70-200VR when it first came out. Impressive lens. Why won't it fit into your bag? Aren't you shooting with the two-ring 80-200 already? There's not much of a difference in size between the two.

The 80-400 was a weird lens. I still don't understand the point of putting the technology on such an underperforming lens. Sure the optics are great, but what's the point if it focuses so sllow that it might keep you from losing the shot? It would have been an awesome lens at several hundred bucks less if it was available without the VR.
    -Seb

My website

Thanks Steve.

I played with the 70-200VR when it first came out. Impressive lens. Why won't it fit into your bag? Aren't you shooting with the two-ring 80-200 already? There's not much of a difference in size between the two.

The 80-400 was a weird lens. I still don't understand the point of putting the technology on such an underperforming lens. Sure the optics are great, but what's the point if it focuses so sllow that it might keep you from losing the shot? It would have been an awesome lens at several hundred bucks less if it was available without the VR.
    I have the two-ring and it's a great lens, but that VR would come in handy once in awhile. I think it's about an inch taller, and the two-ring just barely fits into my Domke F-2 which I don't want to give up! As for the 80-400, I bought Tokina's non-VR version a while back. In the 300-400mm range, the optics aren't as good (hey, it was 1/3 the price) but under 200mm it's excellent. I have two 16x24 prints at my house taken with this lens that way on the Fuji.

Sebastian, I don't know why you were so apologetic in your introduction. These are great, great photos. I especially like the last one. Sure wish I had a D100 just to play with for a day!

Great work. I look forward to seeing more great stuff as you become more familiar with the camera.

Ray

Liz

Congratulations again........Great series........

It's exciting using a new camera.....even if it's somewhat frustrating - learning at the same time. When I took the Rebel 300D out of the box, I was so excited I couldn't stand it. You know, it's been months.....I've used it so many times......and I still get excited when I use it......so ENJOY.

I love your photos. You do have the "eye" and your photos are both interesting and technically good. I really like the building within the building. Great colors too.

Thanks for sharing these.....I really enjoyed looking at them (once they downloaded! I have aol.....and it doesn't like PR.com).

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I have the two-ring and it's a great lens, but that VR would come in handy once in awhile. I think it's about an inch taller, and the two-ring just barely fits into my Domke F-2 which I don't want to give up! As for the 80-400, I bought Tokina's non-VR version a while back. In the 300-400mm range, the optics aren't as good (hey, it was 1/3 the price) but under 200mm it's excellent. I have two 16x24 prints at my house taken with this lens that way on the Fuji.

Thanks everyone. I really wasn't expecting such positive responses, I appreciate it.

Liz,

I ammore excited about the lenses than anything. The joys of IS and USM are new to me. The body...well, I wish I could just get it figured out. Although the mirror blackout is much better than it was on the D100, and that makes action much more enjoyable to shoot. I shot a softball game the following night and the percentage of keepers was amazingly high for me, primarily due to the fast focus tracking of the lens and the short shutter lag. With the D100 it was always much more of a crap shoot, I feel more confident with the Canon. It just works really well for me. There, are you happy now? You have assimilated me into your group...
    -Seb

My website

Liz

Talking LENSES! "L" and "USM" and IS

Welcome to Canon!

I know how you feel about the lenses. Just looking through my Canon 200mm/f2.8 "L" (my only L lens) is an awesome experience. I never realized what a difference better lenses makes until I purchased this one. I was looking at the 70-200 but it pushed me over the edge with the weight. The 200mm is heavy enough, but "worth it's weight in gold." The results I get from this lens - even the less than perfect images are awesome.

IS - I only have the 28-135 IS lens, but even this little lens is great. When I bought my first SLR, I got this lens and it was the only one on my camera for a long time - got me through France for 2 weeks with awesome results in very low light Cathedrals and Museums.

Keep posting those pics. I can't wait for the weather to warm up just so there something besides dirty snow to focus on. Heheh......

Liz

Thanks everyone. I really wasn't expecting such positive responses, I appreciate it.

Liz,

I ammore excited about the lenses than anything. The joys of IS and USM are new to me. The body...well, I wish I could just get it figured out. Although the mirror blackout is much better than it was on the D100, and that makes action much more enjoyable to shoot. I shot a softball game the following night and the percentage of keepers was amazingly high for me, primarily due to the fast focus tracking of the lens and the short shutter lag. With the D100 it was always much more of a crap shoot, I feel more confident with the Canon. It just works really well for me. There, are you happy now? You have assimilated me into your group...

Wink My Turn To Rip, Er, Ah Comment...

[QUOTE=Sebastian]We were lucky enough to get there the day of the St. Patrick's Day Parade. I swear, the whole town was there, since once you walked away from it the alleys and side streets were DEAD empty...it was kind of eerie in a away.

Less banter, more pictures.

OK, here goes....

You call yourself a photographer?! Well, you're partially right. I'd say you're a damn good photographer!!!

Learning new gear is both a hassle, and a rush. I'm sure you'll adjust quickly.

Like the others, the first photo is my favorite. The last one is very good as well, but I think the next to last one is my second favorite. It's a sign of our times. :-)

Great shots all. Like Steve, I really like your take on building shots. Very nice. You've got a flair for composing them. Great job showing off the Queen City.

BTW, if you've got a date for going to Myrtle Beach, let me know. It's just down the road.
    Last edited by Speed; 03-17-2004 at 09:58 AM.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the kind words Rob. Not sure on when we'll be in Myrtle Beach, but the Labor Day weekend was seriously tossed around.

The shot of the guy shooting was very representative of the people around me, everyone had either a video or still camera, though still cameras were by far outnumbering video. The city was just very photog friendly, both in the way the authorities treated you, and the way the city is designed. Lots of art, sculpture, very creative use of outdoor space, etc.

On another note, I suggest you edit your post and remove my quote. Your post is reloading the images, and I doubt anyone wants to scroll through them twice when reading responses.

Thanks again.
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Dear Sebastian:

These are really impressive shots. I think you and the Canon 10D are getting along very well together. Your eye for composition is right on.

My favorites are 4, 5, 7 and 8. I'm also one of the gang who likes architectural shots. And, I was so pleased to see the angle you shot the lady statue from -- perfect.

If you were not that pleased with these shots (while the rest of us think they're terrific), then, I am anxious to see the pictures that you ARE pleased with -- they're going to be phenomenal!!!

Best to You,
    Penny
    Penny,

Thank you. I'm glad you mentioned the statue. I am very hesitant to shoot art, it's hard to make it fit into the context of a new image without just regurgitating the original artist's work. I was unsure if this shot worked or not. She just looked so lifelike, yet so out of place, liked the anachronism of her in such a modern city. I tried to somehow capture that, but am unsure if it works for me or not.

As for the pictures I am please with...out of 540 shots from those thre days, these are the only ones I think are worth posting, and I am not too happy with ome of them. I am just looking forward to getting back to that state where the equipment was just an extension of my head...I have been wasting too much time thinking about settings and switches and it really shows IMO.

No matter, thanks for your time, as always.

SPEED,

Thanks for editing your post, I think it makes it much less fo a hassle to read now.
    -Seb

My website

Thread Information