My drone

Printable View

• 05-20-2014, 06:17 PM
    Greg McCary
    My drone
    So I have been playing around with a drone and I find it addictive. I took it to Little River Falls last weekend and here is a couple of shots.
    I think I am going to get some really cool angles with it. I am looking to mount a Nikon J1 on it instead of the GoPro 3. The J1 is very small and light weight but should be able to take some nice aerial images with it without the super wide distortion of the GoPro.
    Beach Camera has a J1 refurb for $169.00 and that's about half the cost of a GoPro. Plus it has tons of nice features.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2932/...cd4560de_b.jpgLittle River a drones view by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/...a5217b24_b.jpgLittle River from the drone by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7386/...a9e8024b_b.jpgDJI Drone by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr
  • 05-20-2014, 06:55 PM
    ELS
    Re: My drone
    Fantastic series of the Drone's and GoPro Hero's "coverage" of the Little River Falls...

I am very impressed with the overall Aerial photography view your equipment has captured for us Greg.

Thanks for going through the work and efforts to getting these "special" overhead, views..

I look forward to many more...

Appreciate your enthusiasm and sharing these...

Have a nice day,

Ed

~~~~
  • 05-21-2014, 02:38 AM
    Will_in_Tejas
    Greg nice coverage with the drone. I have assets set back for one but have seen fly aways with the DJI in a very small circle of acquaintances so I'm waiting.

We actually know each other from another forum and I sold you an Olympus E-510 a few years ago. I instantly recognized your avatar at flickr. I'm shooting Canon now.

Look forward to more drone views. If you want, check out TBH media creative on facebook. Belongs to a friend of mine.

Take care.
  • 05-21-2014, 09:38 AM
    Liz
    Wow! That drone is a nice looking piece of equipment! The shots are great.....and what fun is this!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz
  • 05-21-2014, 10:51 AM
    mattb
    Yeah, pretty cool! I've been seeing a lot of these around for ski comps and bike races. I'm a little jealous. :D
  • 05-21-2014, 03:17 PM
    Greg McCary
    Thanks everyone, yes Will I know you. I haven't experianced a fly away but it did get down wind and beyond my control once but it has a return home feature and it came right back the second I turned off the remote. It landed itself ten feet from the start position. I think the newer DJI's don't have that problem. As long as the GPS is working. I have seen some equiped with a small GPS tracking device that will find it's position. It takes a cell service though.
    I doubt I will be flying so far out of range that I will lose it. Dumping it in a lake or river will be a bigger problem for me as I plan to fly it over water regularly.
  • 05-21-2014, 07:00 PM
    armando_m
    nice ! how do you trigger the camera? or just have it setup shooting every so many seconds ?
  • 05-22-2014, 01:58 AM
    Greg McCary
    The camera takes pictures continuously once the record button is pushed. It can be controlled with an app via WiFi but the WiFi only works about 75 ft line of site. I tried a network extender to get the wifi to work further without much luck. Others have done it with sucess but I just haven't figured it out.
    I have added a video downlink and can stream video much further than I can control the drone but it won't control the camera. There are drones that can be flown with GPS that can be controlled from a few thousand feet or as long as the battery works but mine is limited to about 500 ft as it's old fashion receiver transmitter technology. The GPS on mine is to aid flying and the return home feature not to navigate from long distances. With some pre planned flights can be mapped out and flown.
    I doubt I will ever want to fly beyond line of site. You can pay from a couple of hundred dollars for one or several thousand. I can upgrade mine with a newer circuit board that has more features but I doubt I will do it.