My dad is SO funny!

Printable View

• 08-20-2004, 03:28 PM
    opus
    My dad is SO funny!
    This thread goes hand in hand with my post in the "how did you discover photography" thread. :cool:

My husband and I got my dad a DRebel for their anniversary last month. Today was the first time I really got to talk to him about it. He was a film guy, and is shocked at how tickled he is with it. But anyway, here's the funny part:

My dad heard about my trip to a "photography conference", but didn't know much about it, and thought I was learning all about the nuts and bolts of digital photography. So he asked me on the phone, "tell me about your conference. After all, umm, well, I mean, (laughing) I don't want you to get AHEAD of your ol' dad with your photography knowledge!"

I had no idea that he still thought he was better than me, ha ha. :D

I guess he's still being a father, and will always know more than his kids. He *is* rather envious of my new 75-300, though... <chortle>

I should get him on this board.
  • 08-20-2004, 07:04 PM
    shesells
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybean
    This thread goes hand in hand with my post in the "how did you discover photography" thread. :cool:

My husband and I got my dad a DRebel for their anniversary last month. Today was the first time I really got to talk to him about it. He was a film guy, and is shocked at how tickled he is with it. But anyway, here's the funny part:

My dad heard about my trip to a "photography conference", but didn't know much about it, and thought I was learning all about the nuts and bolts of digital photography. So he asked me on the phone, "tell me about your conference. After all, umm, well, I mean, (laughing) I don't want you to get AHEAD of your ol' dad with your photography knowledge!"

I had no idea that he still thought he was better than me, ha ha. :D

I guess he's still being a father, and will always know more than his kids. He *is* rather envious of my new 75-300, though... <chortle>

I should get him on this board.

Kelly, I'm sure you probably owe your talent to your dad. Not only heredity but without knowing it you probably learned tons from all those hours of looking at the "slide presentations". I had an uncle that did that same thing and all I can remember is that ethereal quality of those slides. They were almost 3d and reminded me of those little "viewmaster" reels. One summer I spent days on end looking at his slides one at a time in a viewer. I honestly didn't even think of that till I just read this post.
    I'm jealous because my dad is gone and he never saw my photos. I wish your dad would join this forum, that would be fun. Maybe not for you..lol. He sounds so cute, you're lucky.
    ~ Kit
  • 08-20-2004, 08:35 PM
    Chunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shesells
    Kelly, I'm sure you probably owe your talent to your dad. Not only heredity but without knowing it you probably learned tons from all those hours of looking at the "slide presentations". I had an uncle that did that same thing and all I can remember is that ethereal quality of those slides. They were almost 3d and reminded me of those little "viewmaster" reels. One summer I spent days on end looking at his slides one at a time in a viewer. I honestly didn't even think of that till I just read this post.
    I'm jealous because my dad is gone and he never saw my photos. I wish your dad would join this forum, that would be fun. Maybe not for you..lol. He sounds so cute, you're lucky.
    ~ Kit

I know it's not the same Kit, but my kid's dad enjoys seeing your photos.

Kelly it's nice that you and your dad have something you both love to share. Has he been away from photography to for a while?
  • 08-20-2004, 11:06 PM
    opus
    Well, you know, kit, how you grow up with your parents but never really "know" them well? You think you do so you just don't ask them any questions, at least until you grow up and start to wonder. Well, I guess I just always assumed that my dad loved photography but only did it in his spare time, casually. Yes Chunk, it seems he's been away from it for awhile. He still does an occasional wedding, but as far as I always thought, that was it. I kinda thought his photography these days consisted of scanning and digitizing his old stuff. But now with his new digital toy he's got new life, more to learn and research (he loves that kind of thing), and instantaneous art. I guess he just took a picture of a dragonfly this morning, and my mom says it's really good. They're both enjoying it.
  • 08-21-2004, 06:17 AM
    shesells
    Chunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    I know it's not the same Kit, but my kid's dad enjoys seeing your photos.

Kelly it's nice that you and your dad have something you both love to share. Has he been away from photography to for a while?

In all seriousness, that is one of the kindest things I ever heard anyone say, let alone to me. It made me cry, not out of sadness, just because it was so beautiful.
    Kit
  • 08-21-2004, 07:35 AM
    Chunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shesells
    In all seriousness, that is one of the kindest things I ever heard anyone say, let alone to me. It made me cry, not out of sadness, just because it was so beautiful.
    Kit

Whew, that's a relief. I went back and forth several times on whether I should send that. Communication's not my strong suit and what I try to say is often misconstrued.