ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Kodak Files Chapter 11

I don't usually write about business-related subjects, but I had to write about this:

Kodak Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection >>

This is sad on a lot of levels. Kodak is more than just a photography industry icon, they're an American industry icon. This is the changing of the guard. I am very curious about the outcome of the reorganization. I wonder if they'll be able to survive and how they plan to do it. I also wonder if this means the end of Kodak film manufacturing.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Kodak Files Chapter 11

Just as I get my darkroom in full swing. ouch. I have been stocking up on Trix and Tmax 400 for a couple of months. I have about 40 rolls. I guess it will be Ilford and Fuji from now on.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

It is probably a legal/technical move to increase the value of their patents that the are trying to sell off ot make money to keep going.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    It is probably a legal/technical move to increase the value of their patents that the are trying to sell off ot make money to keep going.
    I think it's a bit heavier than that. In the US, Chapter 11 means reorganization with an outside person brought in to preside over the reorganization. It may help with the patents but they're also going to have to pay some debt and make some big changes. The purpose of Chapter 11 is to come out the other side with a solvent company that has a realistic business plan. At least that's how I understand it. Maybe there's a lawyer around here who can give us a more informed explanation.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I often wonder if they had better embraced digital, would it have changed the outcome? I feel so sad reading this.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I'm keeping a super positive attitude about this. Before hte Filing they released a statement that had a layout of a re-org, so if they stick to that, the film division will be sticking around.

I can keep my Portra, Ektar, and Tri-X! I don't like Fuji's C-41 offerings...

Of course the film division could spin off into their own company?
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information