ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Four from the cold

Re: Four from the cold

Not sure if I like the pole being so centered in the first shot or not, haven't decided. The other 3 are VERY nice, and I especially like the second shot with that little "punch" of color in the left building. Great work overall!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I made a birdhouse that looks almost exactly like that...different roof material.
    I like Canucks and I'd even consider moving if it weren't for your weather. I've become soft in my old age.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks Jetrim, I have to agree on the post but I wanted to get the frosted weeds in the shot so I took it centered in hopes the lean on the pole would help. I don't think it really saved it though.

Stay warm Frog, after a lifetime of winters I'm pretty much convinced I'll move to Costa Rica when I retire....

Artistically they are great pics, comments on the first one aside-

But, from a technical standpoint, imho, I would have stopped down the lens a bit. You aren't by any means shooting in low light, and scenes like this mostly aren't looking at a shallow dof. Almost every lens is somewhat soft wide open and gets sharper to some sweet spot ~F8 (give or take). Also, the dof appears to be a bit too shallow on the first shot for my tastes...

This set makes me happy to live in Sunny Southern California- at least for now. Once summer hits and temps cruise into three digits (F scale)- I'll most likely be cursing this place...

BM

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Love that second one! The "collapsing" cabin is great as are the snow-covered trees. Looks like the wilderness is swallowing them.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Good points BM, I generally shoot birds so have the habit of staying fairly wide open for a limited depth of field to keep the background OOF. These would definitely have benefited from more depth of field. I'll have to pay more attention to what I'm doing...

Thanks Loupey, I have shot that one before but I thought it would be an interesting and different shot with the snow.

Thread Information