ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: moon and stars!

moon and stars!

Last night the moon was just PERFECT in the sky with a "star" off to its left, hanging in a deep twilight teal sky. I didn't have my camera. Now tonight there's a "star" to the right AND the left of the moon. I still didn't have my camera while the sky was so pretty.

Two things:

1) Can someone tell me what the "stars" are? I'm assuming they're planets. They're just so perfectly placed tonight.

2) Does anyone have a good picture of it, either last night or tonight? Can you post it?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: moon and stars!

Kelly it was good lastnight here as well, actually caught my attention. The star on the left I believe might actually be a Planet, Mercury, it was extremely bright and as it was not that far off setting, time wise, didn't see any more stars to compare with your description. Also a bit bright where I live to get a photo of it at the time as well, it was around 5.30pm our time that I am referring to. Will be interesting to hear comments from others about it if they noticed as well.

misanthrope

On NPR's Earth and Sky (yesterday? this morning? insomnia does funny things to the memory) they were talking about Venus being the brightest visible planet right now, and I seem to recall them describing its position as being what you describe.
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Talking Re: moon and stars!

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Last night the moon was just PERFECT in the sky with a "star" off to its left, hanging in a deep twilight teal sky. I didn't have my camera. Now tonight there's a "star" to the right AND the left of the moon. I still didn't have my camera while the sky was so pretty.

Two things:

1) Can someone tell me what the "stars" are? I'm assuming they're planets. They're just so perfectly placed tonight.

2) Does anyone have a good picture of it, either last night or tonight? Can you post it?
    Hey Kelly!

The evening "stars" right now are Jupiter and Venus.

Check out this link, and you can decide which was which. Jupiter is higher and to the left of Venus.

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...icle_110_1.asp

I saw a glimpse of the cresent moon with Jupiter last night, and I wanted to get a shot of it so bad! But the weather here has been mostly cloudy, and it was gone before I could get the shot. Maybe tonight I'll get a chance at it.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

YES!!!!! Take a look at that chart. I'm surprised that I saw on Sunday night was actually different plantets than on Monday night. But it looked EXACTLY like that chart shows. Sunday night, Venus was just to the upper left of the crescent moon. Monday night, the crescent moon was right between Jupiter (to its upper left) and Venus (to its lower right). All of this in a gorgeous deep teal sky. It even looked great (visually) over city lights.

I took a cellphone shot, but it's pretty awful.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I Missed It Again!

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    YES!!!!! Take a look at that chart. I'm surprised that I saw on Sunday night was actually different plantets than on Monday night. But it looked EXACTLY like that chart shows. Sunday night, Venus was just to the upper left of the crescent moon. Monday night, the crescent moon was right between Jupiter (to its upper left) and Venus (to its lower right). All of this in a gorgeous deep teal sky. It even looked great (visually) over city lights.

I took a cellphone shot, but it's pretty awful.

We went for a ride last night on the Suzuki (my motorcycle) with some friends of ours. The cresent moon was out when we left, but those stinking clouds had moved in by the time we got back!

Summer on the coast is usually cloudy! Ugh.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information