• 02-13-2004, 07:24 PM
    JDub
    Model Release - When are they required?
    I'm just starting to make the jump from enthusiast to freelance photohound, but I'm confused about model releases.

For instance, I sold several mountain bike race shots to a magazine which never asked for a model release. But then I had a picture that got selected for a publication and they require a model release for a picture that was taken at a public event. Are model releases publisher dependant?

Can someone shed some light on this subject for me? Thanks in advance.
  • 02-13-2004, 08:21 PM
    JerryLi
    Model release misgivings.....
    Generally, if you plan on 'selling' the photo, it needs a signed release (by someone over 21 years of age.) If a minor (depending on your state) under 18 is recognized in the photo, the minor's parent or guardian needs to sign the release. You probably need to find a community college course in basic business law, too. Any signed release (considered a contract) needs an exchange of something of value (i.e., one dollar) for the person giving up the signature. This also involves some salsemanship on your part.

A publication often requires a release prior to paying for a photo submitted.

But you probably need to contact a local lawyer for advice on what information you may need on a model release for your type of photography.
  • 02-14-2004, 12:28 AM
    Janie
    I give portfolio shots in exchange
    As my exchange of values for signatures. They are usually quite happy with that. Either portfolio shot or a really cool framed shot. I have several releases if you need any - just shoot me an e.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryLi
    Generally, if you plan on 'selling' the photo, it needs a signed release (by someone over 21 years of age.) If a minor (depending on your state) under 18 is recognized in the photo, the minor's parent or guardian needs to sign the release. You probably need to find a community college course in basic business law, too. Any signed release (considered a contract) needs an exchange of something of value (i.e., one dollar) for the person giving up the signature. This also involves some salsemanship on your part.

A publication often requires a release prior to paying for a photo submitted.

But you probably need to contact a local lawyer for advice on what information you may need on a model release for your type of photography.

• 02-14-2004, 01:47 AM
    Peter_AUS
    Jerry, shouting is generally fround upon in the forums.
    As this person was asking a legitimate question, it is kind of rude to use large letters which is like using ALL CAPS in the forums. You might want to edit your reply and remove the the large letters.
  • 02-14-2004, 09:53 AM
    JDub
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Janie
    As my exchange of values for signatures. They are usually quite happy with that. Either portfolio shot or a really cool framed shot. I have several releases if you need any - just shoot me an e.

Thank you for the advice, I'll likely use the photo idea. I actually suggested that to the first person that I had to get a model release from.

The big problem that I face is that I shoot sporting events mostly (mountain bike races, runners, triathalons, etc) so I shoot hundreds of pictures of the contestants. When I get back to the office I start going through these looking for good shots, and most of the time I have no earthly idea of who the person in the photo is let alone how to get in touch with them. I'm not sure what to do in this situation.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
  • 02-16-2004, 02:29 PM
    JerryLi
    Thanks, but....
    The little [Size] reported 7 ( 7-point type) which ended up as 70 point type:
    perhaps my TrueType guess guage is on the wack, but I did not design this 'new, improved' superior system.

No shout was intended. Thank you for your comment.

A test of [Size 6] follows:

General test of size 6.

...and I've no 'Edit' selection on the original post.