ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

I'm just soooooooo happy!

Last Thursday afternoon I got a call, and the caller ID said National Geographic Society. I was thinking, they want me to buy a subscription. The lady from NG said 'We're looking for a photographer...'

OH MY GOD! WHAT? ME? WOW!

Yup, they want photos from my area - landscapes, bicyclers, buildings... So Thursday evening I took some shots and uploaded them thinking... I'll probably never hear from them again. The next day she called again, and told me about even more photos that they want by Monday. So Friday night and tonight I have been chasing sunsets, finding models, and shooting bicyclists. Its been fun and so exciting.
    I'm just so thrilled to have been givin this chance. I've done my absolute best, the sunsets have been average to good, and the 4 models worked really hard for me tonight. Now I just need to edit and get them online by Monday.

I hope that I will be published! I haven't even discussed any real details yet (payments), I'm just so happy to have the chance to show them my work!

Wish me luck - I need it!

Kathy

Re: I'm just soooooooo happy!

I hope for your sake Kathy it isn't some sort of scam. If it is the real deal, then well done and good luck to you.

some photos that I've gone through so far.

Its for real. I met a local business owner which they interviewed for the story. The issue date is Feb 06. The story is done or nearly done -they just need photos.

Kathy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice photos Kathy I am sure they will be more than happy with them, just make sure you don't loose exclusivity to the photos with you deal, if you have to, then make them pay for them good time. Then you can invest in more better equipment if you need to. Really great news, I understand why you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo exciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt ed.

What great news Kathy. The shots look great. Did you ask how they came to notice you?
    ----------------------------

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

That's GREAT Kathy!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

Talking Congratulations Kathy!

This is such great, wonderful, exciting news! Of all the magazines/publications in the world to be published in - the National Geographic! Wow! I hope you can sleep at night!

Kathy, how did they get your name, etc? They must have seen your work and liked it - which is even more exciting. Even if they didn't, they did now!

You outdid yourself with the photos - especially the sunset.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the "pay" so much as I would all this being in your Portfolio! And you will get paid. You can put the NG publication on the front page of your Portfolio!

You will probably be able to get a job anywhere after February!

PLEASE keep us updated.

Congratulations again! What a great gift for you. I'm very happy for you, Kathy.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl
    some photos that I've gone through so far.

Its for real. I met a local business owner which they interviewed for the story. The issue date is Feb 06. The story is done or nearly done -they just need photos.

Kathy

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

YOU GO KATHY!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Kathy that really rocks!!!! I am very happy for you. This could be big door opening. NG that unbelievable!!! Your work deserves it. How is progress on the book on the Hill Country coming?
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Congratulations!

Kathy-
    That is wonderful news. We now have a National Geographic photographer among us. That's got to be good for the real estate :-)

Hope it works out well and you're on the road to regular work with them. This is a photographer's dream opportunity - the equivalent of an actress being discovered working in a diner. Make sure to keep us posted on how things progress.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'm still in shock! I believe that it is for National Geographic Traveler Mag.

They found my website by doing a Google search for a photog in my area. I guess my site looked ok for them to contact me. My NG contact has mentioned liking my wildflower images (which I need more), so I am excited about that too.

Please keep your fingers & toes crossed and (LIZ!) say some prayers that they accept any of my work! I'd gladly let them have any photo for free if it could lead to NG Publication or something else. - how cool!

I hope that they will let me know something soon so I don't go nuts wondering. I'm sending NG the photos tomorrow morning.

Even if they do not accept any of my work, I am just so happy that I have been given the chance!

The word is already beggining to get out around town, because my 4 cycling models know a lot of business owners/locals, and they have been telling all of their friends that they may possibly get in the magazine. So just this chance can be leading to more local jobs.

OT - As far as the book......well, lets just say that I have to get out and shoot more, I desperately need more photos. So truthfully - it would be a small miracle if I could ever finish a task like that!

Thanks
    Kathy

Liz

Kathy,

I'll begin praying right now. I'm thrilled for you. I will definitely pray that they publish your photos. Please let us know as soon as you hear from them.

I'm beginning to appreciate Google more all the time!

Liz

I'm still in shock! I believe that it is for National Geographic Traveler Mag.

They found my website by doing a Google search for a photog in my area. I guess my site looked ok for them to contact me. My NG contact has mentioned liking my wildflower images (which I need more), so I am excited about that too.

Please keep your fingers & toes crossed and (LIZ!) say some prayers that they accept any of my work! I'd gladly let them have any photo for free if it could lead to NG Publication or something else. - how cool!

I hope that they will let me know something soon so I don't go nuts wondering. I'm sending NG the photos tomorrow morning.

Even if they do not accept any of my work, I am just so happy that I have been given the chance!

The word is already beggining to get out around town, because my 4 cycling models know a lot of business owners/locals, and they have been telling all of their friends that they may possibly get in the magazine. So just this chance can be leading to more local jobs.

OT - As far as the book......well, lets just say that I have to get out and shoot more, I desperately need more photos. So truthfully - it would be a small miracle if I could ever finish a task like that!

Thanks
    Kathy

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Way to go Kathy. I really love when one of you gets some serious notice. It is definitely cool.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Congrats!! To quote Liz , it must be hard sleeping. Very happy for you and such a wonderful opportunity.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is very inspiring.

Thanks so much for rooting for me!

I'm not going to call myself a NG photographer. Those guys are in a league of their own!

But I will be absolutely stunned if they publish one of my photos!

Wish me luck!

Kathy

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Way to go!! National Geo eh? That's just freakin' awesome!!!!

My grandfather has a subscription to them, so when the Feb 6th one comes out I'll be sure to somehow get my hands on it!
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Cool Re: I'm just soooooooo happy!

Last Thursday afternoon I got a call, and the caller ID said National Geographic Society. I was thinking, they want me to buy a subscription. The lady from NG said 'We're looking for a photographer...'

OH MY GOD! WHAT? ME? WOW!

Yup, they want photos from my area - landscapes, bicyclers, buildings... So Thursday evening I took some shots and uploaded them thinking... I'll probably never hear from them again. The next day she called again, and told me about even more photos that they want by Monday. So Friday night and tonight I have been chasing sunsets, finding models, and shooting bicyclists. Its been fun and so exciting.
    I'm just so thrilled to have been givin this chance. I've done my absolute best, the sunsets have been average to good, and the 4 models worked really hard for me tonight. Now I just need to edit and get them online by Monday.

I hope that I will be published! I haven't even discussed any real details yet (payments), I'm just so happy to have the chance to show them my work!

Wish me luck - I need it!

Kathy

Woo hoo!

What a great opportunity. So how did they get your name and number?
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Wow Kathy that's awesome!! Cant wait to see the published product!

A dream come true for so many photographers - congradulations!!

Like Liz says, it looks pretty good on the resume. You've got a beautiful area to work with as well. Let us know how it goes, and I'll be on the lookout for the magazine when it hits the shelves. This is National Geographic Traveler, correct? They publish a few different magazines.

Update

The NG art director is looking at my biking/sunset/downtown photos and I should know something soon.

My NG contact called me again today. They are looking for one more image for the same issue of another area. Actually they asked me to photograph two different locations, but they will only choose one photo. I'm photographing both places tomorrow.

This is my 'third' spec assignment from NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TRAVELER! It looks like I may have a real good chance of being published!

How cool! I'm not sleeping too good tonight!

Kathy

Liz

Re: Update

I'm still praying Kathy! I can't wait to hear the good news!

Liz

The NG art director is looking at my biking/sunset/downtown photos and I should know something soon.

My NG contact called me again today. They are looking for one more image for the same issue of another area. Actually they asked me to photograph two different locations, but they will only choose one photo. I'm photographing both places tomorrow.

This is my 'third' spec assignment from NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TRAVELER! It looks like I may have a real good chance of being published!

How cool! I'm not sleeping too good tonight!

Kathy

Re: Update

YIPEE...WOOHOO...congrats
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Smile Re: I'm just soooooooo happy!

What a great opportunity Kathy. Your photos are great. Keep us all posted.
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

That is absolutely wonderful new. Keep us posted on what you find out. This is an opportunity most of us would love to have. I'll add a few prayers of my own and hope things go well for you. You have some gorgeous pics so no wonder they would be interested.

Thread Information