ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnesotans?

Minnesotans?

How many members do we have from Minnesota? Don't be shy. It's time to come out of the closet.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Re: Minnesotans?

I am from Ohio is that close enough,?

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I've driven through Minnesota a few times, does that count? I even bought a camera at the Mall of America.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Sorry Tyson, no cigar.

Michael, you're only 370 miles from me. We could probably meet for coffee some morning. HaHa
    Mike
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Tel

Yeah, is Ohio close enough?

Nah, I kinda doubt it.

But I've always wanted to go to The Land of 1000 Lakes, Mostly cause I'm a Landscape guy, and Lakes = Good Landscape targets. So yeah, Your lucky.

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Well... I am not from Minnesota... but my wife is. Her mother and brothers live in Minnesota. We were married in Minnesota. We've visited St. Paul, Floodwood, Duluth & Lake Superior a number of times. Is that close enough?
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Sorry Rocket Scientist. You don't qualify either. Floodwood? Bet that town kept you intrigued for almost 5 minutes.

OK, let's add northern Iowa, eastern South and North Dakota and western Wisconsin.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota scroller
    OK, let's add northern Iowa, eastern South and North Dakota and western Wisconsin.
    Getting closer... I think Michael just about qualifies now! We subscribe to Minnesota Monthly magazine. How about me?

man I am getting close now - we have been to minnesota numerous times. My cousin went to UM Minneapolis. Also the wife likes the mall - I prefer Canterburry Park for the poker room.
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Well I don't live there now, but I did live in Duluth for 5 years in the late 60's and early 70's. And I still to this day follow the Bulldogs, Gophers, Twins and Vikings! You'd be amazed how many Viking fans there are in Indiana. Met Carl Eller once in Duluth, and for three years straight I rode my bike up to UMD to watch the Vikings training camp, and was there when Bart Star broke his leg coaching.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Tel
    Yeah, is Ohio close enough?

Nah, I kinda doubt it.

But I've always wanted to go to The Land of 1000 Lakes, Mostly cause I'm a Landscape guy, and Lakes = Good Landscape targets. So yeah, Your lucky.

Hey Tel,

If want some really fun shooting try Split Rock Lighthouse

http://www.mnhs.org/places/sites/srl/gallerysrl.html

I just love that place and want to go up and get some photos myself. Another interesting place is the harbor in Duluth, the ugly looking elevators can give some very interesting photos. And yes, so do the 10,000 lakes :thumbsup:

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

The Split Rock Lighthouse is pretty cool. I was there when I was just starting to get into photography. I would love to go back. There were a couple state parks along the north shore that were very cool also.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    The Split Rock Lighthouse is pretty cool. I was there when I was just starting to get into photography. I would love to go back. There were a couple state parks along the north shore that were very cool also.

My uncle had the best photo of Split Rock Light House I have ever seen. After he died in December I tore the apartment apart trying to find it without success, then found out his wife has in the nursing home, and the negative is in the frame with the photo so the family is getting a print of it for me. It was taken in about 1969 .
    He also has a cool shot of the lift bridge and arena in Duluth that I have. You can get some really neat shots of the lift bridge in the summer and winter, it's really neat with the ice built up around it at night. Just be careful as one slip and your awimming in very cold water!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Like to see that shot of Split Rock, if you can once you get it. I've been there a couple of times and they mentioned that it's the 5th most photographed lighthouse in the world. Now, I have no idea how they would know that - but it does make you think, what can I see that nobody else has already seen... If you're heading north (actually northeast) on Hwy 61, there's a turnoff about 500-1000' before the park entrance and it's another good place to shoot. It's right around there, on the lake side - been a couple years since I've been on that side of the lake.

So, I don't count, but... I have been to Split Rock a few times. I have some photos, but I was last there in '04 (I think) and all I had was my old (0.8 MP) Olympus. I'll go back there someday with my S3...
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

I do , Spent most of my summer up north working at a camp but live in the Cities. Been by Split Rock multiple times this summer with groups of campers on our trips up the Shore. Didn't get to shoot much since I was working, but scoped out lots of places that I'm planning on coming back on a long weekend to shoot some time though.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    they mentioned that it's the 5th most photographed lighthouse in the world.
    I went to a local art fair this summer and there were about 12 different photographers there. Almost everyone of the nature/landscape photographers had a shot of the lighthouse...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Wow, this thread has really expanded. It's sure nice to find another Minnesotan on board, PMW518. As many of you love the north shore of Lake Superior and Split Rock Lighthouse, I think we should all get together some weekend for a north shore photo excursion.
    Mike

.................me
    We've learned to fly the air like birds, we've learned to swim the seas like fish, and yet, we haven't learned to walk the earth as brothers and sisters.

http://www.myspace.com/johnnybukkake

Wow, this thread has really expanded. It's sure nice to find another Minnesotan on board, PMW518. As many of you love the north shore of Lake Superior and Split Rock Lighthouse, I think we should all get together some weekend for a north shore photo excursion.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread with Split Rock... but it did help the thread along
    The North Shore is great any time of year, unfortunately I probably couldn't go there again until next summer, getting too busy here now. Due to changes at the paper personell wise I'll be working almost every day until ???????? :thumbsup:

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

As many of you love the north shore of Lake Superior and Split Rock Lighthouse, I think we should all get together some weekend for a north shore photo excursion.
    I would be up for that, but not this year. Just got back from an excursion out west, and planning an over seas trip for the spring.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I think we should all get together some weekend for a north shore photo excursion.
    I'm up for that! Anywhere on the lake, anytime (well, hopefully...). Always hoped to make it up in November to try to catch some storms but haven't yet. I've seen some pretty good ones during summer though - "good" if you're on shore, anyway! Lots of great stuff to see up there. And since get togethers are at least as much about food as photography, don't forget Sven & Ole's Pizza in Grand Marais.

Actually, what I think would even be more enticing is Hawk Ridge. This is a reserve in Duluth that is noted as one of the best and most popular migration viewing locations in North America. The migration of hawks and eagles begins in September and runs thru November. More than 3000 broad winged hawks can be seen on a good day. Nineteen different raptors species have been observed at Hawk Ridge over the years, including sharp-shinned, redtails, rough legged, cooper's, northern harriers, northern goshawks, bald eagles, ospreys, turkey vultures, kestrels and merlins. The birds are reluctant to fly over Lake Superior so they tend to follow the shoreline, funneling right thru the nature reserve.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    Actually, what I think would even be more enticing is Hawk Ridge. .

Where is that? I don't remember anything by that name, Duluth in it'self can be an interesting place to shoot with some different architecture to nature to sports. When I was a kid I always wanted to climb the bell tower and take pictures from it. Thats the one at Peace UCC....oddly named since the bell is off the USS Duluth at the corner of 11 Ave N and 11th St. One of the oddest places I thought was Central High School....my sister graduated from there, the year they won the basketball state championship.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Here is a site that will tell you all about Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve in Duluth, MN.

http://www.hawkridge.org/
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information