ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Miley Cyrus in Vanity Fair

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    I have a daughter who adores her. Here's the thing. She (my daughter) learns by example from her PARENTS and family.

I think Miley's family should have helped her make a better decision, but in the big scheme of things her posing like she did will have zero impact on my daughter.

Also I wouldn't allow my daughter to pose like that for a national mag. She's a kid and it's up to me to know what is best. That is probably what's the disturbing piece in all of this for me. But alas.... I think her parents were thinking about the publicity and not their daughter.
    But which is worse? Being with her for the transition, which is going to happen either way? Or letting her do it on her own, ala Britney?

Perhaps they were thinking about both the publicity and thier daughter. It's hard to know, especially given the difference between growing up regularly, and growing up in the spotlight.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    But which is worse? Being with her for the transition, which is going to happen either way? Or letting her do it on her own, ala Britney?

Perhaps they were thinking about both the publicity and thier daughter. It's hard to know, especially given the difference between growing up regularly, and growing up in the spotlight.
    I just think she's a little young for that type of transition (half nakey photo).

It is hard to know what they are thinking and exactly where they are coming from never having been in their position. I totally agree with you there. However Miley Cyrus has said she is embarrassed and regrets the photo shoot. That says something to me.

There are better ways to say I'm getting older.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

This thread reminds me of the day last year where a Bible Thumping Preacher had to run for cover.... from a the students......

The Christan far right is: puritanical, any skin showing is a sin....... there the ones going over board with this.....
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    This has got to be the most overblown "controversy" yet this year.
    Seb,
    Glad its not just me. I thought I was missing something.

I looked at this stuff and was wondering what the fuss is about. Are Americans not allowed to give their kids a cuddle?

Totally at a loss to see what the fuss is about, other than posting them in a national rag, but then if Dad is in the lime light then what do you expect from the kids.

Roger

PS. who is he?
    Last edited by readingr; 05-06-2008 at 01:30 AM.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

And I'll add ---- and writing a book about how to successfully raise showbiz kids. :idea:

I agree with Adina (again), it's good that she has a close relationship with her parents and isn't ashamed to have them near her. If they let her make her mistakes while holding being nearby -- maybe she'll learn these lessons while the stakes are still very low.

The pics are stylish and a little racy -- but she is staying close to her parents and they'll help her navigate the treacherous waters ahead. --- All this changes, of course -- if her parents were the ones telling her to take her clothes off for the camera (which probably isn't the case). They probably just rolled there eyes and let her go with it -- to a certain point.

mbb

I don't care about some child actor's career move...pardon me, "art" photos. Anyway the girl looks closer to 30 than 15 so what are prudes so up in arms about?

BTW didn't we see 14 year-old Brooke Shield's **** in Blue Lagoon? (Wow, can't even say **** in a forum...we are pathetic.)
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    I just think she's a little young for that type of transition (half nakey photo).

It is hard to know what they are thinking and exactly where they are coming from never having been in their position. I totally agree with you there. However Miley Cyrus has said she is embarrassed and regrets the photo shoot. That says something to me.

There are better ways to say I'm getting older.

But would she have been embarrased and regreted the shoot had these images come out and everyone ooohhhed and ahhhed?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

But would she have been embarrased and regreted the shoot had these images come out and everyone ooohhhed and ahhhed?
    I can only go by what she's saying. Speculation is just that. Speculation.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite