ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Talent vs. Hard Work

I was paging through a copy of Outdoor Photographer the other day and my mind turned to something I've thought about before. This issue had images from David Muench, one of my favorite photographers. As usual, his eye for the subject and composition were stunning. These images were also, no offense intended, much better than almost everything shared here or created by some famous pros.

That brings me to the question. I know that hard work and experience can produce a great photographer, someone whose work is admired and recognized. But with people such as Muench, there seems to be this large gap of talent and creativity that just can't be crossed this way. Does knowing that there are people out there you can never match bother you? Do you ever think about the amount of innate talent we all possess and the limits it defines? Do you even agree with my assumption?

Just wondering.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Re: Talent vs. Hard Work

I agreed totally. I know that I will become a proficient photographer. I'll learn the right equipment for a particular shot, how to set it up, how to use light to expose it correctly all of the technical things that go into a great shot I am confident I will learn in time.

The artistic side of photography is another story. I've seen people post shots here that I would walk past for 100 years without ever seeing. With time and experience I may learn to see as they see but it will never come to me quite as naturally as it does to others. To some extend that will probably show and will be the difference between good or great shots and stunning shots.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

I find it very hard to match the work of many of the people here, let alone trying to match the work of the working pros. I've learned a good deal from those who've taken the time to comment on whatever I post, but yet find myself still struggling to really grasp what they're saying. I'm still posting substandard pictures, sometimes limited by equipment, sometimes by imaging software, sometimes by my lack of talent and understanding. Limitations? Personally, I'm bound by the limitations of not working hard enough to produce the quality of what I see on this board. There are some great photographers here who really have an eye for composition, color, light, and other variables.

I think the innate talent of every individual plays a large part, because some people are able to instantly see what a particular subject renders in terms of what I mentioned above. Some of us don't get it right away, and have to work a little harder. I suppose the results are directly proportional to the effort.
    John

I was interested in playing the drums when I was 2. I had my first kit when I was 9. I played in HS orchestra and jazz band and started college as a music major (switched to engineering after a few semesters). I played the clubs until my 2nd child was born. I've studied, taught, and played with some very awesome musicians. Though, I never got “great” I was a much better precisionist than I am now a photographer.

So, when I was a struggling musician, I also thought about this very same question. Here is my take....

If I can be so crude as to divide artistic expression into two components: raw artistry and technical capability. All artist have differing natural blends both, and they can be improved with study. A folk artist, for example, may write just beautiful and moving songs -- yet s/he is untrained in technique and music theory (and doesn't need the training to be successful). A concert pianist may be on the other end of the spectrum (awesome technique, but cannot compose or interpret).

To me, talent is the culmination of your technical and artistic abilities. What I have found is that those at the top are just monsters when it comes to both artistry and technique.

Me… I'm happy to muddle along in my mediocrity. I get pleasure trying to express my "art" to the best of my abilities. I get pleasure learning how to do it better. I get pleasure studying the masters AND studying the common (When I taught drums, I learned from even my most basic students. This taught me that I can learn from all. I just need to “see” the lesson.).

So, I’m good with where I am. I hope to get better….
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Very simple...

Michael, you bring up a great topic. IMO, there are three basic components to success as a photographer: talent, hard work, and luck.

Ok, you could easily make the argument that one makes his or her own luck. I believe that for the most part, but I also know for a fact that weird sh*t happens that you simply could not have predicted or prepared for.

Still, overall I don't think it's a huge factor with most folks, so for the sake of this discusssion, maybe we should leave luck out of it. That means you're left with talent and hard work, which often form an odd balancing act with most of us.

I've seen extremely talented people make it with little effort, but I've also seen marginally talented people make it through hard work and sheer determination. Again, IMO, the best bet (like athletes) are the ones with talent that work hard...

To answer your question, I have never had a problem with talented people succeeding. I try not to compare myself to others, and I'm confident and excited enough in where I think MY talent and hard work is taking me...

What gets me are fakes. People that aren't that good that bs their way into getting published or having gallery shows or landing great jobs with clients that don't know any better. Commercial photography as well as the art world are full of these characters, and I know for a fact that it deprives me and many others of opportunities...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I think it takes both to be sucessful. But what may be hard for me may be easy for someone else.

Going off what Steve said...talent, hard work and luck.

Well, I've been fairly lucky, as far as right place at the right time kinda thing. But being there wouldn't have meant a hill of beans if I didn't take some action.

I've worked fairly hard, but that's because I want to actually make a profit. And the hard work is more on the business side than the artistic side.

Talent? Well, I have some. Am I as good as I'll ever be? No, there's aways room to improve. Do I mind if someone is better than me? No, it really just pushed me to improve, or makes me consider something that I hadn't before.

I guess you can have all the talent in the world, but if don't do anything with it, what difference does it make. And there will always be someone who seems to have it really easy, and has had things handed to them, but the majority of us have to work for it.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Very simple...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Ok, you could easily make the argument that one makes his or her own luck. I believe that for the most part, but I also know for a fact that weird sh*t happens that you simply could not have predicted or prepared for.

Still, overall I don't think it's a huge factor with most folks, so for the sake of this discusssion, maybe we should leave luck out of it.
    Steve, I agree with all your other comments.

In my modest work, I find LUCK to be a HUGE factor!

Your statement "I also know for a fact that weird sh*t happens that you simply could not have predicted or prepared for" really hits the nail on the head.

I have stumbled across many situations that were simply "luck." Or were they?

I believe that with effort, comes reward. Maybe not when you want the reward, but it will be there. I can say in my own experience as a landscape/nature photog that when I make a good solid effort to get up, go out, chase the light, hit the photographic sites, I am consistently rewarded with a "gem." Something beautiful and amazing that I could not have planned in a million years. THAT is what lets me know I am on the right track, is when these little "gems" start popping up.

So I both agree and disagree that you can make your own luck. Putting yourself out there and making the effort seems to be a "trigger" for the luck mechanism to kick in. But, you cannot control it, no matter how hard you try (again, speaking from experience!)

I agree with the rest of your post, very well stated!

I would love to hear more about the "luck" factor from other photogs!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Pentax Forum Moderator

I have to take Tims view on this. Like Tim, I too was a music major. A also have the ability to pick up most instruments and learn to play them in a relative short amount of time. I have a 4 octave singing range and an extreme love of all music. So, with all my talent and technical ability, why am I not a superstar? Probably because of the other element of this discussion. Hard Work!!! Since everything musical, always came so easy to me, I never learned to work hard to achieve that next status. That also doesn't mean that I didn't achieve a certain status in my music...just not the level I could have if I had worked harder. The same goes for my new found love of photography. I know that I have a good eye...but to be able to portray my personal view to a photograph is going to require a lot of hard work, which I hope I have finally learned!!! And if you follow some of the artists who seem to be "naturals", you'll find that they also have a "monster" work ethic. IMHO, You can't be great without having both Talent and doing the Hard Work!!!

Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Very good topic, Michael, and very good discussion so far.

For me, at this point in my life, it does not matter that there are others out there way better than me. There was a time years ago when it would have driven me crazy. I would have to say that hard work, talent, and luck are all involved. I know I may never reach the level of talent of Muench, Dykinga or Kay. I had to throw in two guys who's work I really admire.

In the same vein as Muench. I do not believe there will ever be anyone to evoke as much feeling from a b/w landscape as Ansel Adams was able to do. There will always be someone of that great level of talent. All some of us can do is hope to use hard work and maybe luck to get close to them.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Wow. He is very good. While technique is a significant component in obtaining those results, I think the talent component (really vision and thought out composition) is what really sets the upper echelon of artists from those of us in the masses. Most of us recognize that a scene seems special to us but often fail in translating that to the final picture. An artist needs to evaluate just what makes that scene special and analyze how he can isolate or maximize the expeirence with composition and other tools available.
    I was thinking how to word the above response and was interested to find that Muench says that in his tip #12 here (click on the David Muench's Tips link ...
    http://www.imagesofarizona.com/muench/photography.shtml
    ----------------------------

This is an interesting thread to say the least! A lot of different views on here. I think the difference between a "pro" photographer (ie. living off your photography) compared to a "good" photographer is skill...just like any other job. Some people are just genetically built to be good at things. Some people fit management roles, some people are artists, it's all about finding what is meant for you. Don't get me wrong, you can learn and become good at things, but to become a true professional requires that little special piece of something that we can't decide for ourselves.

Slight tangent, but I used to be a drummer too. I picked up a bass just for fun, and ended up that it was more my thing than drums, and have been playing now for 20 years. Will I be as good as (insert top player's name here) ever? No. I don't put in the time and make the sacrifices that they do to acheive a career doing it. Like photography, musical styles are very different and one person's favorite could be the hack to the ears of another. Could I ever get to that level? I'd have to say doubtful, because I haven't even been willing to make the sacrifices that some of those guys have made.

Learning the technical side of how to make a photograph came pretty easy for me. I also learned that fantastic light and a decent subject will always make a better photograph than merely decent light in a spectacular setting. I see that as a challenge, actually - go to the places you can get to often and your chance of being lucky with amazing light will increase. If you spend as much time in the field as Muensch/Muensch Jr./Rowell (rip)/Peterson or anyone else, you will get lucky more often. Just a matter of odds...

"Does knowing that there are people out there you can never match bother you?"
    Not personally. I'd have given up all of my hobbies years ago if it did. I won't paddle my sea kayak on some monumental journey or in waves the size of a house amonst the icebergs. I won't be a famous photographer. I won't be a famous musician. I do it all for the enjoyment of it. If other people like it, great - but I do it for me. Selfish? Maybe, but it's the truth.

I don't let what anyone else does bother me, as long as someone likes what I do, why worry about what others are doing. Too many people try to compare themselves to others, or copy others techniques or whatever instead of being THEMSELVES! Just be yourself!

It goes back to the old saying: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The same can be said for photography.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    I don't let what anyone else does bother me, as long as someone likes what I do, why worry about what others are doing. Too many people try to compare themselves to others, or copy others techniques or whatever instead of being THEMSELVES! Just be yourself!

It goes back to the old saying: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The same can be said for photography.

JS
    I would have to really echo all of that, JS. I know it's in my sig, but Ansel said it best, I think.

"No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

How about Self-Promotion ??

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Michael, you bring up a great topic. IMO, there are three basic components to success as a photographer: talent, hard work, and luck.
    [snip]
    This is a good discussion. All good points... One thing missing I think is a discussion on Self-Promotion.

When an artist puts on a show (gallery, coffee-shop, stage, whatever) s/he is putting themselves out there. It is a very vulnerable place to go. One has opened themselves up to criticism from total strangers, and screwing up can be devastating. Thus, most artist that I have been have a certain amount of strong ego.

Coming with this, and also very important for success, is skill at self-promotion. If we didn't self-promote, we typically would never get the gig (There are always exceptions). So, all of us blow a little smoke if we want the gig. Hopefully, we deliver.

Of course, there are those with stronger skills at self-promotion than talent. I think these are the "fakes" that Steve is talking about. They are up there on MTV too.

TTFN,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Going back to the original question: No, it doesn't bother me and no, I don't think about it.

How can anyone possibly define "success" for everyone? By the amount of money one makes with it? By the number of images published? I think success is a state of mind. We all know where we started and we all know where we are now. By that standard, I am sure that just about 100% of us are successful.

I don't look at the work of others in order to try to replicate it. If an image I create is pleasing to me, GREAT! If it happens that a few other people like it as well, SWELL!

But ultimately, I'm the judge of my work and abilities.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto

JS
    This is a great thread. I agree about the three parts to being a photographer. Hard work can improve all three but I think there are limits to the first two. I also think there are two kinds of luck and I can give an example. I took my niece to an airshow and let her shoot away. She came back with an awesome shot of a heritage flight by basically pointing the camera at the aircraft and shooting away. There's also the kind of luck that involves honing your skills and techniques then learning your subject inside and out, having an idea of what you hope for and then being in the right place at the right time with the right skill/technique/tools.

But mostly I agree with JS. I shoot to make myself happy. For example my passion is aviation photography. When I take photos at an airport/airshow or something aviation related, I'm putting 100% + effort into getting shots I would love to see poster sized or bigger or published somehow. Almost all of my skills improvement, both artistic and technical, is to improve my aviation photos.

For myself, many of the "great" photographers do nothing for me because they don't shoot subjects I'm interested in. For areas other than aviation I'm not upset about snapshot quality photos because I'm unwilling to invest the time to get better.

For all I know I've got skills that are "wasting away" because they don't involve that sparks my creative fire and I'm OK with that.

I think it's neat to see other peoples opinions and ideas on this subject! Great thread!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

I guess people are taking this discussion in lots of different ways, that's good. The music stuff really got to me though.

I use to play classical clarinet, won lots of awards, and was happy. A girlfriend challenged me to a test. We listened to several violin pieces by excellent musicians. Their technique was flawless. But one stood out. You could actually hear a few very minor flubs here and there but it was just flat out better, making all the other renditions seem "cold" in comparison. That musician was Izaak Perlman.

At that moment, I realized that my best, with all the hard work and practice, could never play any instrument like that. It was crushing and sad to have to admit that. I feel the same way when looking at photos by Muench and a very few others. There are many very good pros I know I could match if I put my mind to it. But nothing I do will ever be rise to the level Muench or a few other greats. If I don't think about that, I'm happy and content. Only if I don't think about it...
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

That's Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    If an image I create is pleasing to me, GREAT! If it happens that a few other people like it as well, SWELL!

But ultimately, I'm the judge of my work and abilities.
    That's nice. But photography is a form of communication. Are you only talking to yourself?

I know I'm going off on a tangent and I'm not trying to be mean here. I just want to point out a fact about photography that a lot of people seem to miss. It's fine to be in it just to please yourself. But the difference between a good photo and a great photo is the number of people it speaks to and how it speaks to them.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: That's Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    That's nice. But photography is a form of communication. Are you only talking to yourself?

I know I'm going off on a tangent and I'm not trying to be mean here. I just want to point out a fact about photography that a lot of people seem to miss. It's fine to be in it just to please yourself. But the difference between a good photo and a great photo is the number of people it speaks to and how it speaks to them.
    That has always been and remains my point. Photography is a form of communication as well as an art form, but both have criteria. The criteria for photography as an art form are the elements of design and composition as anyone who has seriously studied art will tell you. Based on how the eye sees colour, texture, shape, lines, and form, there are also guidelines for photographic communication too. Otherwise it would be impossible to try and explain in a concrete, objective manner why one photo is artistically better than another. At for example, a high level of photographic competition, everyone with a photographic "eye" recognizes top quality photographic art. It is not subjective.

The reply to some critiques has been when you get through the rhetoric that the photographer was just pleasing himself or doing his own thing or being original,...depending on the rationalization. Others of course, can say that they liked the photo, but my point is that "liking" a photo does not make it great and certainly does not make it "photographic art".

Great photography is attention to detail and that means every single small detail including for example in portraiture: hair, skin, eyes, makeup, fingernails, etc. as well as the lighting, technical details, and composition and design factors involved in taking the photograph.

It could be said that talent gives the photographer the "eye" necessary to "see" the photo that he/she wants to create but it is considerable hard work and attention to the smallest detail that allows the photographer to produce results that approach photographic excellence and photographic art.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    I guess people are taking this discussion in lots of different ways, that's good. The music stuff really got to me though.

I use to play classical clarinet, won lots of awards, and was happy. A girlfriend challenged me to a test. We listened to several violin pieces by excellent musicians. Their technique was flawless. But one stood out. You could actually hear a few very minor flubs here and there but it was just flat out better, making all the other renditions seem "cold" in comparison. That musician was Izaak Perlman.

At that moment, I realized that my best, with all the hard work and practice, could never play any instrument like that. It was crushing and sad to have to admit that. I feel the same way when looking at photos by Muench and a very few others. There are many very good pros I know I could match if I put my mind to it. But nothing I do will ever be rise to the level Muench or a few other greats. If I don't think about that, I'm happy and content. Only if I don't think about it...
    My husband has pointed out that difference to me many times. (Izaak Perlman vs. Joshua Bell was his latest comparison, after seeing Joshua Bell in Indiana two weeks ago.) Many musicians are technically great, but their music is lacking great emotion. If you can learn to perfect your technique AND put a little piece of yourself into all your work, you can rise to your own greatness, not in comparison to anyone else.

My husband is also always talking about "viewpoint" and how when you can effectively show other people your viewpoint -- how YOU see the world -- then they respond to your work. I think that's where talent lies. Talent might make it easier for you to develop technical perfection, but you still have to pour a piece of your soul into it, and that's what makes greatness.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: That's Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Photography is a form of communication as well as an art form, but both have criteria.
    Had Shakespeare restricted himself to the criteria of communication that were there in his time, the English language as we know it would be unrecognizable. Take a look at how many of the words in common usage today were invented by him in those few works of art. Any artist limiting himself to a preconceived set of 'criteria' in his/her work is more craftsman than artist. That's OK. The craftsmen of the photo world are absolutely necessary and are usually much more successful as seen by the vast volume of their work available in print.

Of course I'm not someone who has seriously studied art.
    ----------------------------

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Great discussion, but it's no fun when everyone agrees with one another
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Great discussion, but it's no fun when everyone agrees with one another
    You know, Rick, you're right...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Ah, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    It's fine to be in it just to please yourself. But the difference between a good photo and a great photo is the number of people it speaks to and how it speaks to them.
    I can only speak for myself, but I think I'm my own worst critic. If I'm ulimtately pleased with the expression and vision I've created in an image, I KNOW that many other people will respond to it, too.

Ego? Perhaps. But it's also a confidence that's been built up over many years. IMO, the second part of your statement will always take care of itself...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information