ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Maybe this will help me get out and shoot more.....

I just picked up a new pack so I can ride with my 10D. After looking around for something along these lines, and thinking hard about modifing a "real waterproof camera pack". I got a second high recomendation for this "little" jem. for those intrested it's a Deuter TransAlp30. (~1800 cu. in. storage, 3L fluid bladder, integrated rain fly)

It easily hold all my bike gear, plus I can fit my tamerac bag with the 10D, 17-40mm, 550EX ( Ed. Note: I need to learn to control this thing!), and extra bateries/stuff.

I took it out tonight for the first time. BUt got dark too quick for me to take many shots. The pack rides quite nice, and will be put to good use this weekend with 4 rides planed in New Hampshire, western Mass. and southern Maine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maybe this will help me get out and shoot more.....-newbag2.jpg   Maybe this will help me get out and shoot more.....-hp0631_pond2.jpg   Maybe this will help me get out and shoot more.....-hp0631_st.jpg   Maybe this will help me get out and shoot more.....-hp0631_st3.jpg  

1800 Cubic Inches???

Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    I just picked up a new pack so I can ride with my 10D. After looking around for something along these lines, and thinking hard about modifing a "real waterproof camera pack". I got a second high recomendation for this "little" jem. for those intrested it's a Deuter TransAlp30. (~1800 cu. in. storage, 3L fluid bladder, integrated rain fly)

It easily hold all my bike gear, plus I can fit my tamerac bag with the 10D, 17-40mm, 550EX ( Ed. Note: I need to learn to control this thing!), and extra bateries/stuff.

I took it out tonight for the first time. BUt got dark too quick for me to take many shots. The pack rides quite nice, and will be put to good use this weekend with 4 rides planed in New Hampshire, western Mass. and southern Maine.

Now that's carrying capacity! It looks and sounds awesome. Me, I'd be happy with a Lowepro Photo Trekker. (One day!)

Congratulations on your new pack!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I like my Dueter pack

It's not the same as yours, it's a little smaller but still my biggest hydration pack by far. I got it for mtbing, hiking, xc skiing, all activities that I usually take my camera along on. My problem is figuring out how to best attach my tripod. It will fit in the pack, but I'd prefer a way to attach it to the outside.

Spike

Mugg asked me about the tripod thing too.

I haven't tried it with this pack. But I have ridden with a cheap (re: bulky) tripod attached to a camelbak mule. I used the bungies and some extra strapping. and made sure to anchor the main weight to the loop/ahndle at the top of the pack. It worked well enough.

With the size and extensively more strapping on the outside of the Deuter (it has place to attach a helment) i think it should be easier with this pack. I aslo hope to pick up a truly portable (light weight) tripod some day which will help.

(I read through the lines in a post on MTBR, that Congratulations are in order for you....Celly must be huge by now!)

Yours looks bigger than mine.

Your backpack, I mean. Mine is actually starting to fall apart from abuse. Sometimes the zipper busts open. And it's starting to get pretty permanently rank and stinky. (You could really misinterpret this without the first sentence, huh?)

What Tamrac bag are you using to stuff inside? Does it fit well? How does the pack ride? Do you feel like it's too big?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

do you have the 25? if so mines 16.7% larger.

Im not sure of the model the Tamrac is. it's an older model but very similar to the Expo1. I took the strap off. it fits nicely in the top compartment of the pack, the one with the water which I don't really like. condensation from the cold water in the bladder really dampens the inside. (too humid out here) but I've linded the bladder with a freezer bag.

I left the level divider in place and can fit a rain jacket and maybe a jersy or leg warmers in too. It rides very well. I rode off some steep roll in's and over countless logs/rocks, it barely moved. it does weigh a lot when fully loaded which I'm working to get used to.

GITA is going to kill me but I want to take the big camera.

Tonight I didn't have the tamrac in there but for somereason I kept hitting my helmet on the top of the pack. I think it was partly due to night riding in tight sigletrack so my neck was bent more than normal to navagate the trees, but also since the pack had less in it. I sinched it down more so it bulked up a little more vertically instead of bulging outwards if that makes sense.

Splurged on a tripod

brian,

Last year I splurged on a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, so that I would take it with me. Treat yourself!

I find that when mtbing down a steep hill the pack will tend to creep towards my head and hit the back of my helmet sometimes. Annoying, but not really a problem.

Thank you! celly and I are both pretty big right now. ;)

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    I haven't tried it with this pack. But I have ridden with a cheap (re: bulky) tripod attached to a camelbak mule. I used the bungies and some extra strapping. and made sure to anchor the main weight to the loop/ahndle at the top of the pack. It worked well enough.

With the size and extensively more strapping on the outside of the Deuter (it has place to attach a helment) i think it should be easier with this pack. I aslo hope to pick up a truly portable (light weight) tripod some day which will help.

(I read through the lines in a post on MTBR, that Congratulations are in order for you....Celly must be huge by now!)

Thread Information