• 04-25-2006, 08:41 AM
    mwfanelli
    Mamiya Camera Division Sold
    FWIW, Mamiya is out of the camera business. They sold their assets to Cosmo. Who is next?

Elmsford, NY, April 24, 2006 – Mamiya O/P has announced that it’s Optical Equipment Division, manufacturer of the leading medium format cameras and lenses will be transferred to a new company.

The new company, Cosmo Digital Imaging Company, Ltd. was formed by Cosmos Scientific Systems, Inc., a leading company in IT technology. Cosmo Digital Imaging will be able to combine its software expertise with Mamiya’s photographic capabilities to further advance in the digital direction of professional photographic imaging technology.

Building on Mamiya’s reputation and world wide distribution network, the new company will be able to achieve an even higher level of customer satisfaction. Service of Mamiya cameras, lenses and accessories will also be handled by the existing Mamiya distribution network. Coming in the wake of a number of industry changes, this positive development gives Mamiya a new direction and a vision for the future.

Cosmo Digital is planning to execute these changes on September 1, 2006 and will retain a substantial number of present staff and facilities and acquire all the assets including inventory, property, trademarks and patents to assure a smooth transition.
  • 04-25-2006, 08:51 AM
    walterick
    Re: Mamiya Camera Division Sold
    Noooooooooooooo

I guess medium format really is taking it on the chin these days. If they don't soon all go digital (maybe they already have) they are going to lose market interest.

I for one LOVE my Mamiya and plan to use it for many, many more years to come. Medium format prices on places like ebay and keh have gone through the floor, allowing aspiring shooters the opportunity to hook up with a medium format kit for a song.

I am glad to hear that they are keeping their service infrastructure. I'm sure my lenses will need a tuneup in a dozen years or so :)

Thanks for the story.
  • 04-26-2006, 07:12 AM
    shutterman
    Re: Mamiya Camera Division Sold
    Anyone want to buy a Mamiya 645AFD + a couple film backs and a couple lenses :)