ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Mailorder Custom Frame Company

http://www.framesbymail.com/1100.html I hope that this topic is ok for this forum, Like most, I love to matt and frame my best work, What I dont like is cutting my matting by hand or making custom size framing. A company called Framesbymail solved all these issues with an order site that lets you custom design online. I particulary like their model 1100 metal frame as it is closest to regular gallery framing and by using double matting, I get a perfect fit in the frame channel. And this from an old nitpicker like me, The quality is second to none. Respectfully Submitted, Leroys
    Last edited by leroys; 11-20-2005 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Mailorder Custom Frame Company

Sure, it's fine to post that here - I assume it's not your company but if it was, we'd prefer it in News & Rumors.

That's good to know about - my only concern is with mat board color. As we all know, it's hard to tell exact colors by looking at a website and trying to match a mat color to something in the print and to go with a certain frame is going to be difficult. OTOH, I'm a fan of black frames and white mat (although there are a lot of colors of white...). I haven't checked out the link, but if you could order the mat by style number you should be OK. How do their prices compare to a local place?

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Sure, it's fine to post that here - I assume it's not your company but if it was, we'd prefer it in News & Rumors.

That's good to know about - my only concern is with mat board color. As we all know, it's hard to tell exact colors by looking at a website and trying to match a mat color to something in the print and to go with a certain frame is going to be difficult. OTOH, I'm a fan of black frames and white mat (although there are a lot of colors of white...). I haven't checked out the link, but if you could order the mat by style number you should be OK. How do their prices compare to a local place?
    Hello and thanks for your post, No association with this company other than being a customer. I usually print 16x20 and frame 20x24, A little narrow on the matting but just a matter of taste I guess, I like black framing with light gray matting and black for the inside matting at 1/8 inch. Price seems to be ok, I get frame with hardware kit, Plexi and acid free 3/16 foamcore all cut to specifications for 37.00 USD, You are not committed to the order until you click the last button so you can actually go through the order proccess to find the price for your particular dimensions. I wanted to share because of my positive experiences with this company, Respectfully, Leroy Skalstad

Some websites allow you to upload an image and then look at the mats on the image and design the mat and frame to suit the image that you are framing up. To me that is a good thing but you never know until you order the first one. One of these companies is http://www.americanframe.com/index.html which I have seen and been around for a long time. Don't own it, but would use them if in America. Me I buy local to keep atleast some of the money in Australia.

I think this thread should be moved to News and Rumours forum too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    Some websites allow you to upload an image and then look at the mats on the image and design the mat and frame to suit the image that you are framing up. To me that is a good thing but you never know until you order the first one. One of these companies is http://www.americanframe.com/index.html which I have seen and been around for a long time. Don't own it, but would use them if in America. Me I buy local to keep atleast some of the money in Australia.

I think this thread should be moved to News and Rumours forum too.
    Hello Peter, Thanks, I did move this post to News and Rumors, Had to wait a few minutes for the red flush to clear from my face.

Thread Information