Low-Light Photography

Printable View

• 07-18-2006, 06:38 AM
    MarcusK
    Low-Light Photography
    I've been an amateur photographer from 1995 until 2001, after which I move up to "serious"photographer until present day. (wouldn't say i am a professional photographer since i haven't done any paid jobs).

I've also been a D.O.P (director of photography) on a couple of independent films that did not make it to any festival.

The intro is simply to say that throughout all this time and experience, I found myself truly disliking Flash Photography. Mind you I am referring to the Mounted flash not studio photography wich i adore.

Low-light situations have always appealed to me, yet for whatever reason, i was always unable to come up with a project based on Low-Light photography. I always found particular times to shoot in low-light but couldn't define a project as such.

I know this may seem strange for some, but this is my situation, and would love it if anyone had any suggestions of a fitting topic.

PS: Topics I am looking for are along the line of my ongoing project "The Human Mind" in which I am attempting to show the various mental disorders through pictures. (if you would like more details on that project and maybe participate in it, you could email me at marcus@umadoshi.com)
  • 07-18-2006, 06:49 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Re: Low-Light Photography
    Welcome to the site, Marcus...

One classic theme that would incorporate low-light is people whose jobs have them working at times other than normal daylight hours...

For example, folks that have to go to work before sunrise, such as delivery people or commercial fishermen or construction workers. Also, people that work graveyard shifts such as ER, or night cab drivers, or cops or night watchmen.

The interesting thing about this kind of project is that it allows you to play with both very low available light (depending on the time), or the many artificial light sources that help light the night...
  • 07-18-2006, 06:58 AM
    MarcusK
    Re: Low-Light Photography
    Yes! Yes! Yes!
    Thanks, that's a great approach, guess now all i have to do is find the energy to go shoot the project. :)

But yeah, this would be great, especially that i am more of a people photographer, thanks again for the tip!

And thanks for the welcome!