ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You could at least clone out the watermark...

If you're going to steal a photo and post it on your website, you could at least clone out the watermark...

Pretty sad considering they could have purchased the rights to the image for a couple of bucks.

http://visitbognorregis.com/where-to-stay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You could at least clone out the watermark...-untitled-1.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: You could at least clone out the watermark...

"bandwidth limit exceeded"

I believe they have failed.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Glad I took the screen shot when I did. Hopefully they are removing the image.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I belong to an msn group where we just had a member,(now former member), copy one of our long time members shots, do a bit of cloning and cropping and then reposting it as his own WITH his copyright added. Three of us have been looking him up in other msn photo groups and letting them know. He even won our monthly contest with what we are pretty positive was a copied photo. Fortunate for me perhaps because my second place shot is now first....bittersweet victory I guesss.

Here's a link to our group and the goings on...his original post was deleted before we could save it. http://groups.msn.com/DigitalPhotogr...84553516535997
    Pretty dumb to copy something one of our regular members posted.
    I usually avoid confrontation but Pam who the original photo belongs to is a friend of mine and I just hate this kind of stuff.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Grumpy Toad ? ? ? ? ?

LOL

You are anything but ...
    Dave

Nikon D60 :thumbsup:
    Nikor 35 f 1.8 ... Nikor 18-200 f 3.5/5.6 ...Nikor 18-55 f 3.5/5.6 ... Nikor 55-200mm f 4.5/5.6
    Nikon SB-600 Flash

Fujifilm FinePix S9000 - A Digicam ...
    Not a true DSLR but close enough :wink5:
    Promaster 5750DX Flash

Nikon FG :thumbsup:
    Nikon 50mm f 1.8 ,,, Quantaray 28-80mm f 3.5-4.5 ... Quantaray 80-300mm F 5
    Nikon MD-E motor drive
    Nikon SB-15 Flash

Ha....you haven't seen me in the mornings!
    Keep Shooting!

That site has now been suspended.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I always find it amazing that even if someone thinks they can get away with something they are ok with it in their conscious. . . .
    I could never "get away" with anything because I am always being observed by my very own conscious.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

That reminds me of a guy that I knew in highschool who used to copy deviant art photos, print them out into postcards and prints and sell them to kids in school or anyone who would buy. He got pretty popular till he got sued for copyright violations... 100 grand ...Never heard from him again ! Not sure where he went come to think, he was a senior and I was a junior some long long time ago.

I just cannot believe someone would be so stupid. Stealing an image is one thing, but posting it where the real author would likely see it is beyond dumb!

Now, excuse me - I have to choose a picture for my club competition ... I'm torn between a couple I have called "Moonrise over Hernandez", "Soldier at the Moment of Death" and "On the Banks of the Marne"

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

You've got better stuff than that, Mike.
    Keep Shooting!

I end up having a good many of my online photos swiped, usually by a local racer who wants to use it on their web site that the son of a friend of a friend did for their race team.
    9 times out of 10 they just simply don't know any better. The common thinking seems to be, "If it's online, it must be free"
    I've had someone tell me, "Hey, at least we left your watermark on it"

And another said, "WalMart won't let me get copies of this because it has your watermark; do ya think you could make up another one with out your watermark?"

The ones that really burn me are the guys who stop by our photo store at the track, buy a 4x6 of their car, and then tell us they are going to scan it in and make a custom autograph card using Paintshop and get a couple hundred copies printed at WalMart so they can save the $250 that they'd have to pay getting us to do cards for them. They proudly brag about it, and haven't a clue as to why we might be upset.

Remember the big thing about "stealing" music that everyone thought they should get for free? Same thing in my opinion.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdirtfreak
    I end up having a good many of my online photos swiped, usually by a local racer who wants to use it on their web site that the son of a friend of a friend did for their race team.
    9 times out of 10 they just simply don't know any better. The common thinking seems to be, "If it's online, it must be free"
    I've had someone tell me, "Hey, at least we left your watermark on it"

And another said, "WalMart won't let me get copies of this because it has your watermark; do ya think you could make up another one with out your watermark?"

The ones that really burn me are the guys who stop by our photo store at the track, buy a 4x6 of their car, and then tell us they are going to scan it in and make a custom autograph card using Paintshop and get a couple hundred copies printed at WalMart so they can save the $250 that they'd have to pay getting us to do cards for them. They proudly brag about it, and haven't a clue as to why we might be upset.
    Well if they did do it. A lawyer would see easily money at 10K a copy :blush2:
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Well if they did do it. A lawyer would see easily money at 10K a copy :blush2:
    Assuming they had the ability to pay such a sum... if they aren't going to pay $250 for such a service, it's doubtful they have much more than a few grand.

Freygr - I've seen you say it a few times, and just in the interest of edification, there is no $10,000 per copy fine. That would constitute an "unjust" burden in almost every copyright case, especially those involving newspapers, books, and magazines.

Section 504 of the Copyright Act covers damages, which, briefly, are basically either actual damages (here, $250) or statutory damages. The latter may range from $200 for an "innocent infringement" to $150,000 for a "willful infringement." The likelihood of a judge finding a willful infringement is very rare. The range for normal infringements is from $750 to $30,000.

In any case, the damages are for "all infringements involved in the action, with respect to any one work," where "work" constitutes different photos, not copies. In other words, if they scanned and reproduced 1 photo, you are entitled to either actual damages ($250) or statutory damages (likely $750). If the work is Registered, you may also recover your attorney's fees and court costs, which would FAR exceed any damages award in most cases - it costs around $500 simply to file a case with the court, and attorneys are at least $100/hr.

Steeler - I shoot a lot of autocross events, which are of course on a much smaller, non-professional scale. I often have drivers ask me for jpegs of their cars, usually for desktop backgrounds, etc. Since I know they aren't doing this professionally, I'm happy to comply. But I limit the photo to 1024 pixels and 500kb max, put my normal copyright in the corner, and then just in case they crop that off, I put a very small, faint mark on or near the car.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Quote Originally Posted by brmill26

Steeler - I shoot a lot of autocross events, which are of course on a much smaller, non-professional scale. I often have drivers ask me for jpegs of their cars, usually for desktop backgrounds, etc. Since I know they aren't doing this professionally, I'm happy to comply. But I limit the photo to 1024 pixels and 500kb max, put my normal copyright in the corner, and then just in case they crop that off, I put a very small, faint mark on or near the car.
    Oh definitely. I work with any of the local drivers. I've got 35 or so drivers that I'm the sole provider of photos for their web site. Some have set up a payment plan with me, some trade swag, and some just get a couple photos per month, just to have fresh photos.
    Then there are probably another 75 drivers that have asked if they can use a photo (one time) on their site. I have no problem with them using a photo; I just like when they ask. My site probably gets 500 hits a week from links on driver web sites, and more than a few sales have resulted from those links.

I think what I was trying to express was the frustration at the mentality that any photo online is there for the taking, and that, at least with the people I have experience with, they just don't know any better. It does not even occur to them that there might be anything wrong with taking a picture.

Since I only put small, web-optimized photos on line (600x400, 72 dpi), I don't have a problem with them using them; just nice to be asked first.

Thread Information