ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Looking for a specific film type

Hello all,
    I'm looking for the slowest, finest grained film I can with low saturation and contrast. Something like a Portra NC but with even less colour and a 50 rating or something to get rid of the grain.

120 and 5x4 needed.

Thanks

http://fireplace.antlockyer.com/

Re: Looking for a specific film type

I'm not sure of your experience or what you're planning to do with it, but the best thing I can come up with is Portra 160NC (but maybe you've considered it...). It does come in 120 and 4x5. It's fairly common to over-expose neg films, maybe by even a stop. That would put you at 80 or 100, although the color saturation is obviously the same as the 400NC.

A quick check at B&H in NYC shows Portra 100T (tungsten) as being the only thing slower in 4x5 color neg, and I'm not sure if (when shot under tungsten light) the saturation is like NC or VC - probably no less than NC though. There are some other options in 120, but I think they all have higher saturation than NC (Superia, Reala, UC and Konica/Minolta).

Is scanning and desaturating some of the color in Photoshop an option? Then you could use a really sharp and fine grained film, although fairly saturated - Fuji Provia (transparency film). If you go this route, check out Astia too. I've never shot it, but it's less saturated and should be as finely grained (both ISO 100). They're not very low contrast films though.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Yeah my first thought was Astia, it's supposed to have the lowest grain of any film made. Also, Reala. I've only shot Reala but I hear Astia is also great.

GL

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thanks I use Portra a lot but it seems just a bit grainier than I think it could be (I'm talking very big prints). Scanning isn't an option.
    I'll stick with the portra and see if I can play about with it a bit.

Experience wise I started taking and developing my own stuff at 9 years old, I'm 31 now but don't have my own darkroom, prefering a pro lab nowadays.

Thanks again for the suggestions and your time.
    http://www.antlockyer.com/
    http://fireplace.antlockyer.com

Red face Re: Looking for a specific film type

I have noticed the lack of really slow films these days, doesn't make a lot of sence I know they can make modern film at ISO 100 and probly a bit fast faster every bit as good old ISO 25 films, that makes me think, Hey imagine what they could do with a modern ISO 25 film!

Its Unlikely to happen with Slide film, but Ilford Delta 25 is rumoured.

Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer
    Hello all,
    I'm looking for the slowest, finest grained film I can with low saturation and contrast. Something like a Portra NC but with even less colour and a 50 rating or something to get rid of the grain.

120 and 5x4 needed.

Thanks

http://fireplace.antlockyer.com/
    Try Fujicolor Pro 160S but rate it at 50ISO instead of 160ISO. This colour negative film has low saturation and contrast (its designed for weddings in bright sunlight). By over-exposing it you will make the film grain appear smaller.

It's available in 120 and 5x4 sizes.

Charles

Thread Information