ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Where do you buy your cameras?

I know I will go to a retail store to handle the cameras to make a choice on which to get (we have "real" camera store about 45 min. away). However, the prices at this store are not as good as online prices. Is it better to locally, so you can get service, etc., or is it best to save the money and buy online?

Re: Where do you buy your cameras?

Officemax for the best of both worlds, they'll pricematch newegg
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Like your situation, there is no 'real' camera store near me.
    I bought mine from completephotohouse on ebay. I got great service and a good price. A couple of other ebay stores are worthwhile and offer different packages. Just make sure they are authorized dealers and can offer a usa manufacturer warranty. Don't deal with anyone outside the usa, since you are in Illinois.
    Read the 'camera dealer feedback' thread and avoid the horrible places mentioned there.
    I guess B&H and Adorama are favs to the users here.

I've used both Adorama and B&H and had good luck with them. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them but be aware that they might try to sell you a bunch of accessories to go with a big purchase like a camera or lense. I also found that Adorama tended to have less expensive s&h than B&H.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

As before mentioned, B&H and Adorama, I'll add KEH to that for used gear. I have also bought stuff from Ebay, but buyer be ware!

I would shop locally if money didn't matter. I would pay for the customer service if I could afford it.

The Camera Dealer Feedback forum is a great place to go.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'll also recomend B&H and Adorama. I order almost exlusively from them. I place all my orders online, and have always received exactly what I ordered. The prices are very competitive also. I have never called them to place an order, so I have never had them try to get me to purchase anything else.

The closest "real" camera store to me, is an hour away. I do go there to get my hands on things I'm interested in, but the price is always much more expensive than what I can order it from online. I wish I had a local store that was more competitive.

I bought my current camera on ebay as a "kit" and I would not do that again, or recomend it to anyone else. Most of the "extras" included in the kit are JUNK and not worth the $. Yeah, it sounds like you're getting a great deal, but most of the extras aren't worh the box they are shipped in. Almost all of the extra stuff that I got with mine, has been replaces with much better quality items.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

Check the retailers listed on this website - all reputable. Personally, I purchase from B&H and NormanCamera.com - both are reputable with excellent customer service - and if you don't live in their state, no tax.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Moon
    I know I will go to a retail store to handle the cameras to make a choice on which to get (we have "real" camera store about 45 min. away). However, the prices at this store are not as good as online prices. Is it better to locally, so you can get service, etc., or is it best to save the money and buy online?

I purchased mine from a "real camera store" the guy literally spent 4 + hours with me going over different options and lens ... with service like that I couldn't go elsewhere .. the camera was about the same as online ... but the lenses I paid a good chunk more ... still worth his time spent with me in my eyes ...

I have also delt with cameta on ebay .. and would go to them again

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I agree with the "package" deals on ebay; the ones with tripods, cards, cleaning kits, etc.
    I would buy camera bodys on ebay and body/lens only package if the lens was one I really wanted.
    I bought my d80 with the nikor 18-135mm because I figured it was a good all around lens for me. There were other camera/lens packages that did not interest me.
    Got them for less than $1300 and they were brand new in package.
    Yes, be careful. See my above post.

B&H and Calumet. Calumet when I really, really need it ASAP, otherwise their prices are just absurd. However, they have their own brand of gear that sometimes comes in way cheaper than competitive stuff for pretty much the same quality.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

B&H photo is where I buy the majority of my photo gear from.

Adorama and KEH and also reputable dealers with competetive prices.

If the price difference isn't that great, and the camera store actually provides service, then I would go with them. Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to order from B&H.

My two cents...
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thank you so much for the advice. I will go to the sites you mentioned and write down the prices--that way when I go to the camera shop to try them out, I'll know exactly what a good deal is. If they are super nice there, I'll pay a more. If they are jerks, screw 'em. LOL

Liz

Don't forget to come back and tell us what you got! Oh!! and where you got it!

And then, we'll be looking for the photos!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Moon
    Thank you so much for the advice. I will go to the sites you mentioned and write down the prices--that way when I go to the camera shop to try them out, I'll know exactly what a good deal is. If they are super nice there, I'll pay a more. If they are jerks, screw 'em. LOL

This isn't going to be a terribly popular reply, but I bought mine from best buy. Got a 400D for about 750, including extended warranty. Just have to wait for the right deals to come along, then pounce!

I've looked a lot at Keh.com and B and H, but I seem to find the best deals elsewhere. I find that kind of sad irony...

I got my Nikon N80 body from B&H, My sigma 28-105 lens from Ritz camera when it was on sale, and my Nikkor 50mm from Adorama.
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

All my cameras:
    Minolta Hi-Matic 7s - Garage Sale
    Minolta SRT-102 - Garage Sale
    Minolta X-7A - gift from church member
    KM Dimage Z2 - Henry's
    Nikon F80 - Henry's (Battery Grip - B&H Photo)
    Panasonic FZ7 - Future Shop
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

believe it or not, dell is sometimes a good source for cameras with their coupons etc.

Canon SD630 6.2MP digital camera $300 - 30% coupon PQ8NL$C1??F8MJ - 2% DPA savings = $210

Rebel XTI 10.1mp (Body only) for $639 + applicable taxes (after coupons and discounts)

(Slickdeals.net is my source)
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Thread Information