ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: A little rant about critiques

I know how Jaedon can feel. Being new to these forum, I very seldom give any critique of photos because I know that I am not truely qualified to tell someone else what is wrong with their pictures.
    Of course, the subject of the picture can have an affect if you get comments. I know, if you take a picture of your cat, I probably won't make any comment on it. Oh, "cat lovers" don't slam me, for I do like cats. But on the other hand, if it is a picture of a rabbit. I may be one of the few to say something about it.
    But do read when others critique a photo. I almost always go back to the picture and see what point they are trying to convey.
    Newbie Here
    rovowen

Jaedon, I'm sorry I did not notice this thread sooner. I don't get the time I would like to commit to the forums and when I do I am mostly in the critique forum.
    Once in a while a thread like this comes up, usually from a new member, and your concerns and stated frustrations are valid.
    Some good advice has been given I see by some members here already, but from my experience and observations throughout my time here I can tell you that the longer you stick around and keep active on the forum, the more responses you will probably receive on your threads. It's just human nature that people tend to need to get to know you and become more familiar with you and the responses will come.
    I remember when I first joined the boards, I would sometimes have no comments on my threads and sometimes 1 or 2. This went on for quite a while until I was seen to become a regular on the forum and then the comments started to come more often. Now, sometimes I'm back to 1 or 2 comments, so go figure lol.
    Chunk had some particuliarly good suggestions about posing a specific question, or starting a poll. I have seen him do both of those with his threads and I can tell you it sure works.
    This forum belongs to all of us, we are all equals here. Do not get discouraged, just remain active and it will come.

btw, for anyone who feels that they don't comment because they do not feel they are worthy of critiquing a photo. . .thats ridiculous. Everyone's observations are important, worthy, and welcome by any member who posts pictures for critique. Whether the comments are simple, or highly technical and detailed. . .they are important. Period
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

gary with the greatest of respect u have pretty well just dismissed this entire thread as having no meaning at all..

trog

Quote Originally Posted by rovowen
    I know how Jaedon can feel. Being new to these forum, I very seldom give any critique of photos because I know that I am not truely qualified to tell someone else what is wrong with their pictures.
    Critique does not have to mean criticize. I have sometimes wished that the forum had been called Feedback. One reason that the forum is important to me is that the feedback that I get around home is usually praise, which may feel good but is useless for improving my work. I want honest opinions from other people, including yours. If you take the time to look at a photo that you like and then verbalize what it is that attracts you to it, that will help both the photographer and you.

Practice all you want on any of my photos...please.
    ----------------------------

"Critique does not have to mean criticize. I have sometimes wished that the forum had been called Feedback"

now that chunk.. is avery wise idea..

its easier to say why u dont like something than why u do i think..

i would make a simple.. "i like it.. very nice" type comment without feeing the need to justify my likeing the image.. but that is basically against the rules..

i do feel the need to justify why i dont like an image thow.. if i dont know why i dont comment..

a few simple "i like it.. very nice" type comments would do the world of good for posters egos.. he he

trog

[quote=trog100now that chunk.. is avery wise idea..

[/quote] Thanks...that was my ego booster for the day.
    ----------------------------

Jaedon .. this thread has had 500 or so hits. The last "rant" I did on Viewfinder (A little rant #2) got 1000 hits and 100 comments, or thereabouts.

Clearly, the way to get comments in the Critique forum is to put the word "rant" in the title! I suggest titles like "Ranting about some flowers", "A Rant about a tree in a field", or "Ranting about a B & W street scene"

Worth a try!

Cheers
    Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information