ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Little Ninjas and a Bee

Round 2, studio lights. I posted some from last night in the lighting forum, but these are more to just share.

Little Ninjas....

Alien Bee to my right, with a 4'x6' Larson softbox, I still need to get them further from the drop, but my kitchen is only so big. Vignette added in PS, along with a bit of softening for the drop. Contrast and saturation boosted as well.

and one of my baby, in b&w, just so you know it's really me and not someone else signed in under my name.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: Little Ninjas and a Bee

I also need to raise the light a bit higher, I like the catchlights to be a little bit more to the top, not so much on the side.

I'm really enjoying playing with this, can't wait until I have some more space to work in...

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Try just a foot or two above the head, you still want to keep the catchlights. Move the box in close, then back it out till its just out of the shot, the closer, the bigger, the softer the light you'll get.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Just did some research on the Larson, I want one. Try running the lite horizontal with one third of it behind the subject, that would be the fill, the front two thirds as the main lite. A reflector on the off side would also help.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I've got it horizontal, the problem was the ceiling fan and the counters. We've got an L shaped kitchen, not condusive to ginormous lights. I have the reflector too, but again, to small of a space to use it.

Going to try the living room this week....will try out some of those suggestions...

thanks!

Thread Information