ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Would you shoot another photogs wedding?

Or better still, who would you have photograph yours?

We attended a wedding this past weekend, and dh was standing up. So I was invited to go along in the limo, so on so forth.

I was very determined to have a good time (which I did) and not even talk camera stuff with the photog (which I didn't). But even though I was specifically not paying any attention, I was a little surprised when he started doing the formals around 1:00, right out in the blazing sun. I was wondering how he was going to get around the whole raccoon eye thing. I noticed he had a flash, so asked dh if he was using it. He said no.

Can this possibly work? Is there some trick I don't know?

How does this tie in to the original question? We are planning on renewing our vows in the next year or two. When we originally got married, we just did a quicky down at the courthouse. We'd like to do it while we are reasonably young, and the girls are small still. But after last weekend, I can tell already that finding the photog would be the biggest hurdle for me. I think that I would be really picky. And while I know that I would completely trust whoever we decided to go with to do thier thing, finding that someone would be harder for me than it would be for someone who sold insurance policies.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: Would you shoot another photogs wedding?

Would I? Not in a million years.

Well, I tried the wedding thing and it just wasn't for me. I'd much rather be a guest and shoot what I want to shoot - and have gotten most of my favorite wedding stuff doing this. I guess if we were renewing our vows, I'd probably have friends who were photographers come and just let them do their thing. Personally, I prefer the work I've seen from people like Sebastian, Natalie, John and you over traditional (forgive me for not mentioning everyone's work...). One person (or photog and assistant) can't possibly see everything that's going on all the time.

I'd rather have a couple special images than another blender, anyway. We did talk about renewing our vows at some point. Next year is the big decade but we might hold it off a bit. We'll have a party for the people we're close to, but probably nothing formal. That's more "us", and so is that style of photography. I can understand how this would be the hard part - keep it in mind and you'll find the right person eventually.

Outside at 1:00 in the bright sun? Might be OK with small groups, fill flash and the higher latitude of neg film. It's pretty easy to find shade for small groups, but not for a full wedding party shot unless you're lucky (there's that great quote, something like "Chance favors the prepared mind."). And sometimes you don't have a lot of choices - that's one thing that drove me nuts. Digital, large groups and no flash? Probably not a good idea.

I recently was one of 3 photographers who shot a wedding. None of us were wedding shooters specifically. We shot from different angles, using different lenses, even creative lenses and used our collective knowledge to shoot it. Because we weren't wedding shooters, I think our shots came out very creative and with flair.

If you have photographer friends, I would consider asking a couple of them to shoot it for you, especially if they are friends with each other and can work together.

I would think the photographer's knowledge and experience would show up in his portfolio. Scour the county looking at portfolios and you'll most likely find the right person.

This guy's portfolio would no doubt reflect such problems as you experienced. OR, perhaps the bride and groom insisted on "pictures at 1:00!" and he didn't have enough experience to shoot for conditions. Or he's the cousin of the groom with a fancy camera and little training. Or, maybe he's invented a secret new technology that makes any photograph look perfect, and he's testing it out.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    I recently was one of 3 photographers who shot a wedding. None of us were wedding shooters specifically. We shot from different angles, using different lenses, even creative lenses and used our collective knowledge to shoot it. Because we weren't wedding shooters, I think our shots came out very creative and with flair.

If you have photographer friends, I would consider asking a couple of them to shoot it for you, especially if they are friends with each other and can work together.
    I'm not sure I'd ask friends to do it. Not if you're knowledgeable and picky. Despite the best of intentions, something could always go wrong, and get in the way of your friendship. For instance, my cousin, who is a professional photographer, came to my first wedding equipped with all her gear. I hadn't asked her to take my wedding pictures, but she volunteered to do the ones in the park (late afternoon, in case you're wondering, LOL). So my dad (my primary photog) stepped aside and let her do almost all the shots in the rose garden, under the trellis, etc. in the setting sun. When we were all finished, and the sun was going back behind the clouds, all of a sudden we hear her go "Whoops!"

She had forgotten to load film in her camera.

Fortunately, my dad had taken backup shots, so I got one or two decent park pictures. But hers would have been 100x better.

But it's OK because I wasn't anal about my wedding pictures. Still, that was 18 years ago, and it's probably the first thought that pops into my head when I hear my cousin's name.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Nope, I wouldn't want to shoot another photog's wedding. That's coming from someone with only 1 very informal wedding under his belt. If and when I start doing more, and a photo saw and liked what I did, I don't think I would have a problem doing it.

As for my own wedding, I have been thinking about who I would want to do it. It's a tuff call. There are a couple people I work with that do it, local pros, a classmate and distant relative, and many others and I still have no idea who I would want to do it. I told Amy I would do it myself, and then just photoshop me into them later. I got a laugh out of the idea, but I'm still back to square 1...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Cool Re: Would you shoot another photogs wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Or better still, who would you have photograph yours?
    Maybe! Depends on the photographer. Have they seen my work? If they think my work is good enough for them, then sure. Being a photog, they should have a very good idea of what they want, and should be able to communicate that to me.

You also need to ask yourself "How confident am I in my abilities?" If you don't trust yourself to shoot a fellow photographer's wedding...

The biggest hangup I see is wondering how nitpiky they are going to be. As photographers, we are frequently our hardest critics. The general public may think we're great, but another photog may see tiny flaws in everything. Which brings me back to my first statement - have they seen my work?

As for who would I get to shoot my wedding, there are many photographers right here on PR that I would trust completely! Or, as has already been suggested, get two or three of them and let them all do their thing. You're sure to get some great shots out of that.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I
    This guy's portfolio would no doubt reflect such problems as you experienced. OR, perhaps the bride and groom insisted on "pictures at 1:00!" and he didn't have enough experience to shoot for conditions. Or he's the cousin of the groom with a fancy camera and little training. Or, maybe he's invented a secret new technology that makes any photograph look perfect, and he's testing it out.

They didn't know the guy, and I am assuming they saw some other work than what is one the website, because it was not impressive in the least. As far as "pictures at 1", I believe that was his idea. Bride and Groom were not going to see each other, but he talked them into it. Said they could do a lot more if they did it beforehand.

The important thing is that they love them. which I am sure they will.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Would I? Not in a million years.

That's how I feel about it.

I'm in the process of sheduling family photos for over the holidays when the whole bunch is in town. I finally just sucked it up and called someone.

adina

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Bride and Groom were not going to see each other, but he talked them into it. Said they could do a lot more if they did it beforehand.
    That seems kinda wierd... The day isn't about the photographer! If the couple decides to do it that's one thing but a lot of couples really feel strongly about that, and I can't see trying to talk someone into something like that just to make my job easier.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

My wife and I did down and dirty weddings out of college to pay off my loans, that was enough for me. It was the mother-in-law and bridezillas that got us out of it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information