ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

A lesson on patients

The other night I noticed the sky turning a nice orange color to the west as the sun was going down. I ran into the house and grabbed my camera bag, and tripod, and headed to the top of a hill over looking town. I got up there and set up and took a few shots. Once I got the camera dialed in, it didn't take long for the color to fade away, but I managed to get a few shots that I'm happy with. With the color gone, I started to pack up my gear to head home. I had just about everything back in the bag, when I turned around and took another look at the sky. The orange colors were gone, but the reds, and pinks were stunning. I quickly set everything up again, and started shooting. Next time I wont pack up, until it's pitch black out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A lesson on patients-crw_6777.jpg   A lesson on patients-crw_6791.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: A lesson on patients

I love it when the sky does that. I live near the shore of lake Michigan.

I see a lot of nice sunsets. Sometimes I try to capture them, sometimes I don't and let the sunset go. (Sometimes you have to step away from the camera and just appreciate the view.)

I'm testing the theory and so far it's pretty consistent, but you can predict the color of the sunset by noticing the temp and the humidity throught the day.

I would guess that was a cooler day, Somewhat humid.

I't's been a while so I might be off, but if you doubt it, start paying attention to how the day feels then notice the sunset that evening.
    Jupiter,
    god of olympus

Pentax Forum Moderator

I know what you mean Michael, because I've missed a few beautiful shots because I headed in a few minutes too soon. Having had the good fortune to view sunsets in Hawaii, Arizona, The Pacific Ocean and the Carribean, among many other places, I must admit, Wisconsin easily rates among some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. You definitely have some beautiful shots there. Ken
    Last edited by ken1953; 07-31-2005 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Alzheimers

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    The other night I noticed the sky turning a nice orange color to the west as the sun was going down. I ran into the house and grabbed my camera bag, and tripod, and headed to the top of a hill over looking town. I got up there and set up and took a few shots. Once I got the camera dialed in, it didn't take long for the color to fade away, but I managed to get a few shots that I'm happy with. With the color gone, I started to pack up my gear to head home. I had just about everything back in the bag, when I turned around and took another look at the sky. The orange colors were gone, but the reds, and pinks were stunning. I quickly set everything up again, and started shooting. Next time I wont pack up, until it's pitch black out!
    I see what you mean. That second picture is awesome. Very nice colors.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Those are both great shots there MJS. I love the purple one. Yes, it is very important to wait, I know that rather well.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

A Lesson on Spelling

It's "patience" not "Patients." Unless you're a doctor ;)

Sorry. Spelling and writing mistakes drive me nuts. It's a genetic problem of mine.

Patience is very important for photographers. It's very rare that someone can get a good photo of something on the first try. Of course, there is luck, and beginner's luck. They count. A good photo is a good photo. But most of the time we have to work hard and wait for the right moment. It's great when we can recognize a great location for it's real potential and then plan and execute for a great photo at a later time. These photos show that you've got a good eye and you're thinking and planning on a larger scale. That's usually what it takes to be a really good photographer.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: A Lesson on Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    It's "patience" not "Patients." Unless you're a doctor ;)

Sorry. Spelling and writing mistakes drive me nuts. It's a genetic problem of mine.

Patience is very important for photographers. It's very rare that someone can get a good photo of something on the first try. Of course, there is luck, and beginner's luck. They count. A good photo is a good photo. But most of the time we have to work hard and wait for the right moment. It's great when we can recognize a great location for it's real potential and then plan and execute for a great photo at a later time. These photos show that you've got a good eye and you're thinking and planning on a larger scale. That's usually what it takes to be a really good photographer.

Haha, thanks for the spelling lessone PJ. I'm the first to admit that I am the worlds worst speller. Maybe you could add a spell checker to the site! Not that it would have saved me on this one tho.

Thanks for taking the time to look and respond, even if it was a spelling error that got your attention.

Thanks to everyone else for replying also!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: A Lesson on Spelling

It was actually the spelling error that got my attention, too. I might not have opened your thread without it. (busy and impatient)
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information