ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

My Favorites Gallery

I am going through the highest-rated photos from 2007, looking for my picks for the 2007 ViewFinder Awards. I've gone through almost 100 pages of photos with ten ratings. I think people here are too liberal with those tens. After all, a ten should be a perfect photo. A good photo should be almost always be somwehere between 7 and 9. Ten should be reserved for only the truly transcendent and magical images that also have technical perfection. Honestly, how many of those happen? Almost none.

Anyway, I digress. I wanted to share my Favorites Gallery with you guys. I am discovering so many awesome photos that deserve to be seen. And I would like to see your Favorites, too! If you don't know about the Favorites gallery, let me tell you. On every gallery page there's a text link below the photo info and rating area that says, "Add to Favorites." If you click that link it will add that photo to your personal Favorites gallery. And at the top left of every gallery page, above the photo, there's a link that says "My Favorites." That will take you to your Favorites gallery. There's also a link to your Favorites on your profile page. To share your Favorites you'll have to copy the link on your profile.

So let's share! There's so much great stuff in the gallery and we all have different taste and opinions about what's good. combing through the gallery and then sharing with each other is a great way to see stuff we missed and get exposed to photos we might no otherwise pay attention to. Plus, everyone should be participating in the 2007 ViewFinder Awards. They're too cool to ignore.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: My Favorites Gallery

Maybe its just me, but i can say i honestly don't use the gallery at all. its just to hard to use, takes forever to upload photos, and half the time it doesn't work for me. Theres way to many clicks to get things uploaded and even navigate through galleries.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    Maybe its just me, but i can say i honestly don't use the gallery at all. its just to hard to use, takes forever to upload photos, and half the time it doesn't work for me. Theres way to many clicks to get things uploaded and even navigate through galleries.
    That's too bad. I know the gallery functionality could be better. But there are a ton of wonderful images in the gallery and it's a much more searchable archive than the forums. But we all have our own tastes and styles and some people just prefer the forums. The gallery is a different medium or tool for me. I would like to work on improving the gallery usability this year, though.
    Photo-John

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You picked some nice ones for sure, John.
    I don't use the gallery very much because there are so many shots there, my mind gets boggled and my eyes start jittering.
    I'll try to start doing it more often but no pormises.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I started adding photos to my "My Favorites" gallery last year, after struggling to search for images for the VF awards. I got behind, and then gave up, but here is what I did get added.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=237118
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

That's quite a selection you have the John!
    I am rather honored to have a few of my photographs in that esteemed collection.
    :biggrin5:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think people here are too liberal with those tens. After all, a ten should be a perfect photo.
    I noticed a couple of your photos, among countless others of the same rating, were rated 10s, too. One is a photo of a Manfrotto tripod head and the other one is a photo of a F6.

Funny

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    I noticed a couple of your photos, among countless others of the same rating, were rated 10s, too. One is a photo of a Manfrotto tripod head and the other one is a photo of a F6.
    I'm sure. I found one photo of my skis with a ten rating and I wanted to give it a rating of 7 because I didn't think it was very good. Unfortunately, you can't rate your own photos
    Photo-John

Well guys as you know I am the moderator for the Gallery so I'm there everyday. I agree that it's sometimes a little slow and there are more clicks to navigate than I would like but it's still the best option we have to archive our favorites images here at PR. I add about 10 images a week to my favorites and used it exclusively for picking my votes for the Viewfinder Awards. So unless you allow your images to be posted to the gallery I didn't even have them to consider. Even if you don't go to the gallery everyday let your best go to the gallery so they are easier to archive and go back and look at through out the year. As for the ratings system I don't use it. I just don't like ratings because everyone's taste is different and it's very easy to offend if your standards are higher than others. I do encourage everyone to use the gallery more. I encourage new gallery uses to check out the forums and many times they become regular forum posters after having been on the gallery for a few weeks. I might also point out that there is a whole different group of PR users out there that never venture off the Gallery so for your images to be seen you need to let them auto post to the gallery. OK off my soap box but the Gallery is my baby right now and I would like to see more regular forum posters take advantage of what the Gallery has to offer.

One other thought if you go to my favorites, and I encourage you to, look for the different names that you find for the photographers that you are not seeing everyday here on the forums. Many are photographers that are not first language English and don't feel comfortable on the forums but are excellent photographers.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I use to upload to the gallery more but it got to be somewhat time consuming. Im going to try to use it more again but if there was a true mass upload with a few less clicks or the same number of clicks but on one page I would defintely use it. I dont know if that made sense.

On another note I was going through your favorites gallery and realized this was my desktop for a while before I joined here. Dont remember where I saw it though, maybe mtbr. http://gallery.photographyreview.com...=&ppuser=75191

It's fun to look at others favorites. I'm finding there are more places on this board that I didn't know about or hardly grasped.

One good thing this thread made me do is go delete out some of my gawd awful photos. I'm still not done deleting!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

John there are some awesome photographers here at PR and going through the gallery is always a pleasure. I agree the 10 rating is probably over used as well. I am honerd as well I have a couple amoung your favorites. I go through the gallery at least once a week.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    One other thought if you go to my favorites, and I encourage you to, look for the different names that you find for the photographers that you are not seeing everyday here on the forums.
    This is a great point Larry, and one that I had thought about starting a VF discussion about a while back. There are a ton of people who use the gallery that I have never seen make a post in the forums. It's like a whole new, unexplored world over there. I wish I had more time to spend there, but I will try harder this year.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

MB1

Wow, it is slow to load. Lots of nice images that I had never noticed before almost makes the wait worthwhile.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thread Information