ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Question Lens? Who? What? Where? Etc?

I have been wanting to know this for sometime..

I preface this with how bikes are made. Basically, the vast majority of all bikes made are manufactured in a few factories in Taiwan.

So where are lens made? Does Nikon, Canon, etc make their own lens? What about Sigma, Tamron, etc?
    Is there one compnay that makes all lens out there?

I want to know!
    Thanks!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Well, I don't know about most but I do know Quantarray lenses (usually sold in stores like Ritz Camera or Inkley's) are made by Sigma.

Don't know about the rest, or where they're made.
    60Hz Productions
    Great pictures are taken with the mind...the problem lies in getting the dang camera to take the same picture!

As far as Nikon goes, they have different plants (not just Japan). I think the D70 is made in Malasya like some of their lenses, and that plant does nice work. Some of the less expensive lenses might be "brand labeled" (which they would never admit to) but I'm pretty sure they still make their own glass for the higher-end lenses. I don't think it's as common as a lot of other industries though.

Guitars (at least the less expensive ones from the big name companies) are that way too.

High-end lenses are made by the manufacturers. Some designs might be licensed from others, the 28-200 Nikor is very similar to the Tamron version for example. But all the expensive stuff is made by them in Japan, for both Canon and Nikon. Nikon may be getting the elements (glass) from other glass mills, like Hoya. I think Canon manufacturers some of its own glass, don't know any other way they would be able to get some of those funky elements otherwise since no one else uses anything like them.

Lots of speculation, I wish there was some place we could find out for sure.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

That's what I figured..... And Seb...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Lots of speculation, I wish there was some place we could find out for sure.
    That is what I figured Seb.. I have done a few searches here and there and haven't found much.
    I would imaging Leica, Hassleblad, Schiender, Rodenstock,etc, the really high end lenes make their own.

Seb, It's Nikkor... With two "k's... See what shooting Canon has done to you already? What's next?

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I was informed by one of my favorite photojournalists to only ever buy Nikon or Canon lenses because they make thier own glass. I'm not sure that only Nikon and Canon lenses should be purchased, but I trust his knowledge on Canon and Nikon equipment at least...
    Speaking of such things I wonder if anyone here is a Nikon or Canon Professional....

Canon does make their upper end glass in their facilities. "consumer" quality glass is made under license by Canon, under tightly controlled supervision. Their "L" series lenses are considered to be the best in the general photo community.

Nikon is playing "catch up" at this point as it is not clear where their marketing people are taking them.
    A couple of 20D's and some good glass
    My galleries www.pbase.com/jpferguson

Thread Information