ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: late road home

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

late road home

Yes, I left the office rather late.
    And took a different route home to get something different for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails late road home-img_1612.jpg  
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: late road home

Dang ...
    You have so many glorious ways home.
    I am envious ... mine are nowhere near as pretty.
    Thanks for posting the shot.
    Dave

Nikon D60 :thumbsup:
    Nikor 35 f 1.8 ... Nikor 18-200 f 3.5/5.6 ...Nikor 18-55 f 3.5/5.6 ... Nikor 55-200mm f 4.5/5.6
    Nikon SB-600 Flash

Fujifilm FinePix S9000 - A Digicam ...
    Not a true DSLR but close enough :wink5:
    Promaster 5750DX Flash

Nikon FG :thumbsup:
    Nikon 50mm f 1.8 ,,, Quantaray 28-80mm f 3.5-4.5 ... Quantaray 80-300mm F 5
    Nikon MD-E motor drive
    Nikon SB-15 Flash

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

That's the best one yet, Paul.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Wow, fantastic shot. I think it's my favorite too.

drg

Another moment to make driving home worthwhile! I think we must have some prejudice against trees in much of this country. Too many places in the States, these would have been pruned long ago.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks everyone.

dr g
    You have lawyers like we have sheep ticks.
    Unfortunately I don't know of a lawyer dip to remove them.

We are losing the "you were stupid" attitude and gaining the "sue someone it's not my fault" culture as well.

Think of the liability claim against the owner of the land on which the trees are growing if someone in a high vehicle hit the overhanging branches and their vehicle was scratched !
    PAul

Love this,light looks like honey sprinkled with gold dust...lucky man.

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Smart Wombat, I like your photograph. The colour is different to where I live. The way the spectrum spirals in the image is awesome. This is one on of the main reasons why I find the image so appealing but also I like the road being empty of traffic, and your perspective.

Where I am the roads I travel on are often empty ... just the road and me. Many of the roads where I am are primitive, despite living on the edge of a modern city.

I would like to keep your 'Late Road Home' thread going, I think that the theme is an excellent photographic opportunity. Not wanting to highjack (?) a thread I'm not sure what the protocol is for following on from the photographs of others? Most threads are only the photographer's image and half a dozen responses. I don't see a pattern of others adding to the original themes that started the threads.

There is also another, thread called "Trees," that only has the original image. This thread I thought could have gone to several pages of photographs.

I think that the title of a late road home, is an invitation to all those who travel on late roads home? This is why I'm confused, by not seeing other photos.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 06-19-2008 at 04:17 PM.

I'm with you,Wild Wassa-please..can we make this a thread ?

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Wow, just wow.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Sure folks, have a go and add some of yours.
    See if you can find that "honey sprinkled with gold dust" yourselves !
    PAul

Here are a few shots that I have taken after being inspired by Smart Wombat's image, taken over the last few days. The third image was shot this evening.

Late Road Home, cold winter sun. Coorooyarroo Road.

Late Road Home, out on the Back Track.

Late Road Home, A tight bend on the Great Western Highway.

Warren.

Shot taken from a 25 seater bus,around midnight,returning from a show downtown,main road traffic was gridlocked on Sat. night so ,our driver came up with this shortcut...we woke up blurry and held our breaths...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails late road home-dsc03241.jpg  

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

Do most here arrive home early? Working flexible hours to beat the traffic? ... I dream of being on flexitime. Not that I'd know what to do with it, having no traffic to contend with.

Late Road Home, through the Mountains of the Murrumbidgee('s) Grass Trees.

Talking to younger Aboriginies about the 'Old People's' ways, they say they saw a face, the spirit of the tree, in every tree. I always see the faces in the trees, so I'm not actually alone, when I'm travelling home late.

Late Road Home, passing some country folk along the Back Track ... I can just imagine what these two are saying. "Be careful crossing the mainroad Skippy, that's the second car to come along this week."

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 06-26-2008 at 03:45 PM.

As you can see I'm enjoying exploring this theme. I hope it is OK to back up existing threads, without alternating posts from others?

The next connotation for "Late Road Home," theme is that there is no time to stop and take photos ... being late of course.

Late Road Home, Engaging Hyperdrive ... transitioning to hyperspace.

Late Road Home, The Roadmarker has lost the Plot. (Alternative title, Late Road Home, Don't Turn This Way).

The weather and the light, has given mostly grey days and uninspired colour temperatures since this thread started. Until it brightens up, I'm playing with the inherant charms of photography, like slow shutter speeds and panning with motion and making camera shake kind of work for me.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 06-29-2008 at 03:54 PM.

I really like that last one, though it's making my eyes hurt, as the panning draws you off to the left, following the sign.
    PAul

Thanks PAul. I've been following your 'Road' threads. My wife Helen is from Surrey, and your shots remind her of her family and friends in Blighty.

I was going so fast today the camera couldn't record the streaking colour. Thanks for your comment, it is what I'd like to think my images are about ... difficult to look at, and even sometimes they touch on being illusions.

Late Road Home, Over the Creek.

When I stopped speeding the colour came back. 6 exposures (graduated by 1 stop for each exposure), formed the composite for the HDR image of Mount Franklin the northern most summit of the Australian Alps, and the Bimberi Wilderness. The winter vines, don't look like they give Noble Grapes, just desaturated analagous colours. Roll on Spring.

As this thread progresses, I'm moving back to black and white, which is something that I haven't done since paper prints got a tad usurped by the Arc(soft program). Shooting in black and white suits the drabness of winter.

Late Road Home, Driven to Black and White.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 07-02-2008 at 04:44 PM.

I'm still arriving home late. It is a great theme because the moment I start heading for home the subject is straight in front of me ... but not that straight.

Late Road Home, Early Wattle blooms, Fairlight Road and the Murrumbidgee River corridor.

The blooming Wattle is two months early, yet the winter is as cold and as grey as I've known it to be. This changing climate is very interesting, it has only snowed twice so far and not settled on the ground. The small track going up the hill in the photo above, I'm planning to go along in the next day or so, or when it stops raining. I only have to drive 25 kilometres along the track to take some shots of fossils and anti clockwise spiralling synclines. In my 2WD, it will take two days return. Taking the highway will take two hours or so each way but that won't make for a late road home scenario ... if I get home early. 2 river crossings of the Murrumbidgee River will make things very difficult, if it keeps raining. I've been waiting over a week for the weather to settle down so I can head through the mountains. Ansel would have used a donkey and have been there and back already ... I've only got an ass to sit on, when I do photography in wild places.

Late Road Home, Storm Clouds in the Sea Breeze. Lake Barely Sailable.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 07-06-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Great shots and theme. Nice work, Wild Wassa. Great looking scene, Susaan.
    Paul, I really like your latest road home image, the lighting is moody and the composition allows for a nice flow through.
    A great thread.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Ooh, I want to play! My street after a rain storm. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails late road home-late-road-home-thread.jpg  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Yes, I left the office rather late.
    And took a different route home to get something different for you.
    Hi Paul, This shot is absolutely GORGEOUS! Love the light (looks like the "Golden Hour"?)
    The composition and particular stretch of road make this shot work quite well for me.
    -Bruce

gahspidy, Gary, thankyou.

Warren.

These two proofs are to remind me that when the sky stops being leaden and the light changes, from flat and lifeless to showing good modelling, (which it hasn't done for many weeks now), I'll be back into it, not that I've stopped being in it, ... into the "Late road Home" images.

I feel off the boil at the moment, with lifeless light ... anyway, follow the roads up over the hills in both shots and you can see the next couple of images in their infancy.

Shearsby's Wallpaper, cliffs in the rain. You wouldn't want top see the original shot, it is worse than this proof. The cliffs are amazing though, they are made from billions of trilobites. I could get up close and personal, like 101, but around here it is more like several thousand extinct species of these little buggers on 1.

The second proof, is just as bad but is something for me to look forward to reshooting, when I find the best camera angle showing many overlapping ridges, bathed in good quality light ... and again follow the road up the hill.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 07-18-2008 at 03:13 AM.

Some great shots Warren. I like the HDR shot, with 6 exposures. The colours look nice and warm, yet I know it's far from it.

Keep up the shots!
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Thankyou Danic. When you talked about having a style, there is no style like showing your work to fellow photographers.

Normally winter is the best time of year here, because I don't work over winter, I take photos. My "Late Road Home," normally, is helping drive yachts for their owners, so being on dirt is a pleasure.

I've added this next shot because most of my "Late Road Home" situatioins can have the added risk of running aground, if I call the wrong shots past the Skipper. This next shot mixes water and dirt and a being aground hazzard and is a cautious "Late Road Home." Crossing the Snowy at Old Adaminaby.

"Late Road Home," Crossing the Creek II.

"Late Road Home," Crossing the Creek III. (Again the Snowy River).

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 07-18-2008 at 03:10 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information