ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Ghost

A feature I like

I like knowing who's online when I'm reading the posts. Down at the bottomn of the pages it shows the registered members viewing the pages and the amount of guests. I think it's cool.

Have you all noticed how much mroe active the forums are now on weekends? Rock on!

Yeah, except a few times when I forgot to log out, I found myself all alone here. :-( For a very short time, though.

I agree, I like that feature as well.
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not sure how accurate that is, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    I like knowing who's online when I'm reading the posts. Down at the bottomn of the pages it shows the registered members viewing the pages and the amount of guests. I think it's cool.

Have you all noticed how much mroe active the forums are now on weekends? Rock on!
    I noticed that too, but just thinking of my own situation (cable ISP and browser), I'm pretty sure it shows me on the site all the time. At least any time my browser is open.

I know it may not seem like it sometimes, but I really DO have a life away from this site.

I really do...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    I noticed that too, but just thinking of my own situation (cable ISP and browser), I'm pretty sure it shows me on the site all the time. At least any time my browser is open.

I know it may not seem like it sometimes, but I really DO have a life away from this site.

I really do...
    I'm pretty sure it just knows when you're logged into THIS site. It's not smart enough to know that you're connected to the internet alone. You when you point your browser to the forums and are looking at them it'll mark you as being online.

Eeck! I'm eating some of the chocolates I got for Merit and just bit into a rum one....wasn't expecting that

Huh?

I'm not too bright. At the bottom of which pages? I'm not seeing what you are talking about at the bottom of this page. What else is down there that you see? Do you hear voices too?

Seriously, do I need to turn something on in preferences?
    PHL 4-6
    http://www.pbase.com/gammon

Hi everyone..

To answer a few questions, connellj, at the bottom of the main forums page (What's going on?) http://forums.photographyreview.com/forum.php? you will see everyone who is logged in to all forums here in Photography Review. Clicking on the arrow will bring you to a page that shows which area each person is viewing/posting etc.
    If you click on any particular forum, Viewfinder for instance, at the bottom of that screen you will see which members are viewing that forum.

Steve, Trevor is right. Nobody sees you as online unless you are in Photography Forums. I have cable as well

Charles, this is a personal preference, but I never log out. That way when I come to visit the forums, I don't need to type in my password every time. I think the only reason I would find it necessary to log out, is if other people use my computer. I wouldn't want others to have access to my username and membership.

One last thing. If anyone feels uncomfortable showing they are logged in, there is the option to use invisible mode, as was mentioned before. Only admins and mods would see you as online.

Hope this info is helpful.
    Lara

Thanks, Lara...

For clearing some of that up. Not that I dwell on this stuff, but it's interesting.

I forgot to add that I'm always logged in, too. That's why I though (with cable ISP), it might show me always on the site.

BTW, how do become a SUPER moderator? I already have a FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE. Anything else I need??

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Hi everyone..

To answer a few questions, connellj, at the bottom of the main forums page (What's going on?) http://forums.photographyreview.com/index.php? you will see everyone who is logged in to all forums here in Photography Review. Clicking on the arrow will bring you to a page that shows which area each person is viewing/posting etc.
    If you click on any particular forum, Viewfinder for instance, at the bottom of that screen you will see which members are viewing that forum.

Steve, Trevor is right. Nobody sees you as online unless you are in Photography Forums. I have cable as well

Charles, this is a personal preference, but I never log out. That way when I come to visit the forums, I don't need to type in my password every time. I think the only reason I would find it necessary to log out, is if other people use my computer. I wouldn't want others to have access to my username and membership.

One last thing. If anyone feels uncomfortable showing they are logged in, there is the option to use invisible mode, as was mentioned before. Only admins and mods would see you as online.

Hope this info is helpful.

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

LOL, Steve I didn't choose the title It's a default username for a step below admin. Really, nothing special. I moderate more than one site, and assist admin to Video Game Review and Computing. In fact, I was going to change my title, but in order to do that, I'd have to fill out things that don't apply to me, as I'm not a photographer.

No worries, you won't be seen as on the site even if you are logged in, unless you have your browser opened to Photography Review.
    Lara

"LOL, Steve I didn't choose the title It's a default username for a step below admin. I moderate more than one site, and assist admin to Video Game Review and Computing..."

Sounds too much like work. I'll just stay a Moderator. Heck, I can do that and watch TV at the same time! ;)

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Sometimes it's a lot of work, especially with the Video Gaming crowd. I tried changing my title, but as I edited in my post above, it takes information that I am not able to fill out. I'm not a photographer, so I don't have most of the info needed Just laugh when you see my title, I know I do!!
    Lara

Thread Information