• 03-15-2004, 08:53 AM
    Charles Hess
    4 Attachment(s)
    Kids, kids, kids...with the D100
    Put the D100 through a grueling pace yesterday, spending 4 hours at the huge St. Patrick's Day Parade in downtown Philly. I promised a family I'd get some images of their daughter, who was in the parade, and also met a lot of nice folks, most of whom had kids in the parade. Weather was cold and cloudy, so I had to fiddle with the WB in the camera, coming up with a Cloudy -3 setting, which produced really rich colors.

All taken with the 80-200/2.8 and absolutely no PS done other than resizing for the web.
    #1 - cutie standing next to me for all those hours.
    #2 - cutie's friend, also a cutie. Dad gave me his email address to send these to him.
    #3 - Curls and more curls ... Irish Dancers.
    #4 - Best view in the house ... not.
  • 03-15-2004, 09:03 AM
    Yoyo Szeto
    Hi,
    I like photo 1. it is very natural and pleasing.
    yoyo
  • 03-15-2004, 01:06 PM
    Speed
    Charles, I Must Say...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    Put the D100 through a grueling pace yesterday, spending 4 hours at the huge St. Patrick's Day Parade in downtown Philly. I promised a family I'd get some images of their daughter, who was in the parade, and also met a lot of nice folks, most of whom had kids in the parade. Weather was cold and cloudy, so I had to fiddle with the WB in the camera, coming up with a Cloudy -3 setting, which produced really rich colors.

All taken with the 80-200/2.8 and absolutely no PS done other than resizing for the web.
    #1 - cutie standing next to me for all those hours.
    #2 - cutie's friend, also a cutie. Dad gave me his email address to send these to him.
    #3 - Curls and more curls ... Irish Dancers.
    #4 - Best view in the house ... not.

That these are all great shots! The cuties in the first two are beautiful, and talk about curls! Good grief! The last one of the doll is too funny.

I'm glad you're enjoying your D100. Personally, I think WB would be the death of me if I ever went digital. ;-)
  • 03-15-2004, 08:51 PM
    adina
    I was there too!
    Not in Philly, but Milwaukee's St. Pat's parade was on Saturday. My nephew is an Irish Dancing group (he doesn't have the curls) and my family does a float (we are Scottish on that side, but any excuse to celebrate).

I took my camera also, I am trying to get used to carrying it and shooting while I'm out. Here's one of mine, hope it's okay to post in your thread. I love the first two and the last one.

adina
  • 03-15-2004, 11:04 PM
    Spike
    #4 - Best view in the house ...
    Ah ha ha! That last one really did make me lol. :D

As for #3, can you say "wig?!" All your subjects are definitely cuties. Thanks for sharing these fine shots.

Spike
  • 03-16-2004, 06:31 AM
    Speed
    I Like It, I Like It!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    Not in Philly, but Milwaukee's St. Pat's parade was on Saturday. My nephew is an Irish Dancing group (he doesn't have the curls) and my family does a float (we are Scottish on that side, but any excuse to celebrate).

I took my camera also, I am trying to get used to carrying it and shooting while I'm out. Here's one of mine, hope it's okay to post in your thread. I love the first two and the last one.

adina

Nothing like a biker carrying a broad sword! And that's one of the big, double handed ones at that! Got to love it.

Personally, I'm a mutt. Mostly German on my father's side, with some American Indian, English and Scottish on my mother's side. 100% American Mutt!
  • 03-16-2004, 09:29 AM
    Charles Hess
    Mutts ... yeah, me too ... dad's side 100% German, mom was Lenai-Lenape Indian. Adina ... guy almost looks like Mel Gibson heading to a shoot of Braveheart. :-)
  • 03-16-2004, 10:13 AM
    natatbeach
    we have #4 I believe her name is Mel she's a doll made by a German manufacturer and it cracked me up because that's generally the shot and side we see of her too!

http://www.puppengoetz.de/data/engli.../playdolls.pdf

that's her clothed..

HOW do you end up next to such beautiful subjects??? Either Philly is rolling with cuties or you just have great timing ;)

and number 3--- Dolly Parton as a young child- he he

great photos Charles
  • 03-16-2004, 10:20 AM
    Kokopeli
    Braveheart in biker boots...
    Quote:

Adina ... guy almost looks like Mel Gibson heading to a shoot of Braveheart. :-)

Yeah he does..

I was just curious about something Charles.. You mentioned in the original post that all you did was resize the image in PS. Did you hit it with a little USM (unsharp mask)? The reason I ask is because I'm not getting anything close to the sharpness of these, especially #1.

Anyway, great shots. I'm always impressed with the way you are able to capture people.

Thanks for sharing these with us!
    ~Brian
  • 03-16-2004, 01:42 PM
    Charles Hess
    Yeah, sorry, Brian ... the very last thing I do is use USM...very little, though. I've found, for some odd reason, images come out best for me with the D100 under cloudy/bright conditions, as opposed to sunny days, and appear, to my eyes, to be a bit sharper and more crisp...the WB on auto gives me a blueish tint.
  • 03-16-2004, 02:49 PM
    Kokopeli
    Thanks for the follow up
    I need to get out and shoot under a wider range of lighting situations with my D100, but that's hard to do here in Sunny SoCal! ;)

Recently, all I've been shooting is Little League baseball under mid-day sun...

Thanks again Master Hess!
    ~Brian
  • 03-16-2004, 07:28 PM
    Liz
    Great shots as always Charles......
    I enjoy your street photos......I love the way you always find the perfect subjects to shoot. Is it snowing there? We've got about 6-8 inches. I hope it doesn't last too long. If it's not too cold (supposed to be in the 30's) I may go to NYC for the St. Patrick's day parade tomorrow.

Liz ;)

Quote:

Yeah, sorry, Brian ... the very last thing I do is use USM...very little, though. I've found, for some odd reason, images come out best for me with the D100 under cloudy/bright conditions, as opposed to sunny days, and appear, to my eyes, to be a bit sharper and more crisp...the WB on auto gives me a blueish tint.

• 03-16-2004, 11:39 PM
    Charles Hess
    Hi Liz...
    Yeah, we had quite a mixture today...snow, sleet, hail, rain, then snow again. Not much accumulation because of the temps(40) and the rain, though. Thanks for the comments.

QUOTE=Liz]I enjoy your street photos......I love the way you always find the perfect subjects to shoot. Is it snowing there? We've got about 6-8 inches. I hope it doesn't last too long. If it's not too cold (supposed to be in the 30's) I may go to NYC for the St. Patrick's day parade tomorrow.

Liz ;)[/QUOTE]
  • 03-17-2004, 10:54 AM
    schrackman
    These are great photos, Charles. I especially like #1 & 2. Perfect exposures, if you ask me.

Ray