• 12-15-2008, 01:10 PM
    JoshD
    Just signed up for a Photography course
    at a local community college..this is the description:

Beginning Photography Lecture and Lab -Introduction to camera operation: Basics of light, optics, exposure, camera controls and functions and film choices; darkroom techniques, including film processing theory and practice, contact printing, enlarging and print processing; print presentation; aesthetics

My question is, I just picked up a Digital SLR. Will this course be ok to take? I guess it would be cool to learn about processing and darkroom stuff as well, but will I be the only in in there with a Digital camera?? This is the only course I could find in my area that wasn't 500-1000 dollars!

Thanks
  • 12-15-2008, 01:27 PM
    Dylan8i
    Re: Just signed up for a Photography course
    call the instructor/school and see what they say.
  • 12-15-2008, 01:43 PM
    mjs1973
    Sounds to me like you're going to need a film SLR for this course. Dylan's advice about calling the instructor would be a great place to start. The school may have a camera you can borrow for the course. Were there any requirements listed for the course? When I took my basic photo class at the local university, it said in the course description that a 35mm SLR was needed.

If they don't have a camera you can borrow, you can a used camera to get you through the class without spending much money.
  • 12-15-2008, 01:52 PM
    Old Timer
    Good advice so far from the others. Sure doesn't sound like it is geared to digital. As for learning some about film I wouldn't discourage it. I think it will only make you a better photographer. And if you need a film SLR there are loads of them available very cheaply right now. I would recommend getting an all manual camera, they will be cheaper and make you a better photographer in the long run.
  • 12-15-2008, 01:54 PM
    JoshD
    Thanks guys,

I actually emailed the instructor (not sure why I didn't think of that first!) We will see what she says...
  • 12-15-2008, 02:13 PM
    Grandpaw
    I would like to suggest going to the site I have below and do some reading and play with the camera settings. This will show you how the different settings and changes effect your picture. I think it is very helpful when learning the basics, Jeff
  • 12-15-2008, 02:24 PM
    zrfraser
    Get ready to spend long hours in a dark room that smells like fixer. I enjoyed all three photo classes I had in college. If you can find a film body that will use your lenses you already have it would be less of a waste, and you could use the film as a backup if need be.
  • 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM
    Canuck935
    I agree. This sounds like a B&W film class. It's probably split between lecture hours and lab hours. Be prepared to spend even more time in the lab than is associated with the class. There's often "open lab" hours for students to go in a get their work done. I started my learning with this class, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Of course, these courses require a higher level of dedication to spend the extra time in the lab, plus the cost of film, paper, and other miscellaneous supplies.
  • 12-15-2008, 02:57 PM
    zrfraser
    We had a mandatory 1 hour a week in the photo lab, btu I often spent anywhere from 5-7 hours a week in the darkroom, and before a big project 10-15 hours a week. I wouldn't trade that expereince for anything in the world.
  • 12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zrfraser
    Get ready to spend long hours in a dark room that smells like fixer...

Mmmm.... FIXER :D To quote someone from another board...

"I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like... creativity!'

It does definitely sound like you will be needing a film SLR. I would recommend getting a good manual SLR. Many of these can be had easily for under $100 these days. You will have a blast and a lot of what you learn will translate over into your digital work flow afterward. Or, who knows, you could wind up like me sitting on the floor in your own personal ghetto darkroom :thumbsup:
  • 12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zrfraser
    We had a mandatory 1 hour a week in the photo lab, btu I often spent anywhere from 5-7 hours a week in the darkroom, and before a big project 10-15 hours a week. I wouldn't trade that expereince for anything in the world.

My class was the same way, and I loved it. I was commuting about a half hour each way to class so in order to save some gas, I make my own darkroom at home. It worked great, but there was something about the lab on campus that was so much more fun. I think it was because there were other students there to talk to and share ideas with. :)

One day I went down there and spent about 3 hours in the lab. When I left, I hadn't made one single print worth keeping. I made a lot of mistakes that day, but boy did I learn a LOT.
  • 12-15-2008, 04:33 PM
    brmill26
    While I've never taken a photography class, as a digital user who later got into film (but not developing), I can definitely say that much of what you learn will greatly improve your Digital work as well. And most importantly, I'm sure the class will give you a solid understanding of the principles of photography from camera operation to the basics of understanding light - both of which are invaluable knowledge.

As the others have said, if the class requires a film SLR, it's no sweat. Grab a Canon elan, or even the old film Rebel off eBay. You can find them in excellent condition for next to nothing - under $100 guaranteed, and probably under $50, even with a (crappy) kit lens. If you do a little shopping, you may be able scoop one up with an upgraded lens for not too much money - and all Canon EF lenses will work on both the EOS film and EOS digital cameras. Do be aware, though, that if you have the XSi's 18-55mm kit lens, it will NOT work on a film camera because it is an EF-S lens. The -S lenses only work on the digital bodies. But any EF (without the -S) lens will work fine on both.