ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Crooked Red House

As someone that’s new to photography I’ve been taking pictures of just about everything I see. I really don’t have much of a clue as to what I’m doing but I am starting to feel comfortable behind the camera and I’m having lots of fun with it.

Today I was trying to come up with an idea of something to capture and then I remembered this cool little crooked house that I pass on my 50 mile cycling route. For some reason I always thought this house was abandoned, maybe because at times it looks like it’s going to fall over, however, today I noticed toys out in the yard so someone must live there.

I have to admit it felt creepy taking pictures of someone’s house and I almost passed because I didn’t want to have a confrontation with the homeowner but every time I ride by I can’t help but think about how cool it looks and since I’m pretty good at talking my way out of trouble I figured I’d chance it and take a couple shots. Anyway, here is what I believe to be the best one, please feel free to pick it apart keeping in mind that I’m a newbie so even the basics will be helpful.

Cheers,
    Carl

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Crooked Red House

Hi, Carl. If you really want critique, it would be better to put this in the critique forum.
    That being said, I see why you were/are attracted photographically to this house.
    The color stands out dramatically from its background. I'm glad you put it in the left third and not centered.
    I don't know how many angles you got but I'd like to see a katy-korner shot for comparison.
    I also think that since the background doesn't add much if anything, I think if you got closer and did a vertical shot it would be better and you could probably eliminate the power lines by getting close einough that they are out of the picture.
    Make sure your camera is level so the crookedness of the house shows. I'd use the stone wall for reference.
    Keep shooting!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I am a total newbie as well , so I won't even try to offer technical advice...but all I can say is I am envisioning that picture minus the powerlines, and it is a much nicer picture. I like the scenery in the background too, if you could have gotten closer, and maybe cut out some of the pavement as well it would have looked even cooler.

Good stuff though

Thanks guys. If I get some spare time tonight I’ll try to crop out the wires and some of the road. I’ll post the revised photo when I’m done.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,
    Carl

Ok, I messed around with the cropping and this is what I came up with.

Thread Information