ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Just Ordered Digital Rebel

I just ordered a Digital Rebel from Canoga camera. They said that there my be a verification problem with my debit card. I hope it works!!!! I've been wanting the camera for a long time. This better work. I guess I'm just expressing my anxieties. AHHH, it better work. . Anyone got any comments about the Digital Rebel?
    KEEP SHOOTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    my comment on the D-REB

I held one today and even framed the 300f2.8IS mounted to it.

wasn't nowhere near as beefy as a 1 series camera, but the camera still held the sensor that captures the image quite nicely

SERIOUSLY....... you can't go wrong with most any DSLR these days in my opinion
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Liz

Talking Good Choice! It will work!

Congratulations! You made a good choice.

I have the Rebel - I was one of the first to get one - and I still love it as much, if not more, than the day I took it out of the box. Excellent results. I've never had a problem or a complaint. Did you get the kit? If not, which lens?

It's a wonderful camera! The best photography equipment investment I've ever made.

Keep us updated - and post some pics as soon as you can.

Enjoy! ;)

Liz

Talking Mine Anxieties Are Gone

Just got the confirmattion call from canoga. The people there are really nice. I was actually kind of surprised how easy it was. The order took like 10 minutes tops and most of that time was waiting for him to make sure everything I wanted was in stock and filling out the order. I got the Digital Rebel w/ lense. Lexar 80x 512mb card, and RS60-E3 remote control. Prices were really good at canoga. I'm looking to order a lense from them in a couple of weeks. I want something like a 75-300...in that range. Got any suggestions?? The Camera should get here either Saturday or Monday. I'll be sure to upload some pics from it. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tubaman2010
    Just got the confirmattion call from canoga. The people there are really nice. I was actually kind of surprised how easy it was. The order took like 10 minutes tops and most of that time was waiting for him to make sure everything I wanted was in stock and filling out the order. I got the Digital Rebel w/ lense. Lexar 80x 512mb card, and RS60-E3 remote control. Prices were really good at canoga. I'm looking to order a lense from them in a couple of weeks. I want something like a 75-300...in that range. Got any suggestions?? The Camera should get here either Saturday or Monday. I'll be sure to upload some pics from it. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great camera, I love mine. As for the 75-300, looks at the Canon 75-300 IS. Although you'll hear some bad things about this lens from time to time, in the field it works extremely well. I've never gotten a bad shot from it.

If you have lots more money, look at the 100-400 L IS. Be aware that it is big and heavy but it is L glass and has that extra 100mm at the high end.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

SWEET!!!!!!

YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY FOR ONE SECOND!

for a 70-300 lens

http://www.canogacamera.com/e/env/00...m=invnew:55187

but I prsonally would get this....

http://www.canogacamera.com/e/env/00...m=invnew:85119
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

well ..............

yes IS is GREAT too

my 100-400 IS is a LIFE SAVER in low light situations!!!

definitely if you can afford the IS lenses...... get them!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Liz

Cool Another lens suggestion

The Canon 70-200mm/f4L is one excellent, sharp, great color rendition lens with rave reviews. You can't beat the optical quality of the "L" lenses - and the color rendition. This lens and the 17-40 are the only 2 "L" zoom lenses that are less than $1,000. It's about $550 after a $30 rebate right now. Most places are out of stock, but should be getting them in within a week or two.

Check the specifications here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

Check the reviews:
    http://www.photographyreview.com/35m...3_3128crx.aspx

Liz

Question Little help here

Since this is my very first SLR I am totally ignorant of all these lenses. I mean I know some of the basics. IS= Image Stabilization....right?? Do Tokina and other brands of lenses work well with canons? I've heard that to get the really good crisp images you need canon lenses with canon cameras...but of course that was just someone's opinion too. I'm interested in the Tokina that paul suggested (in the link). I'm also looking at the 70-200 f/4L . They're both in my price range. I'd like the extra 200mm of zoom with the Tokina, but from what I've heard...you can't beat L series glass. I want something that will last me a long time. I can't really just go out and buy lenses when I want...gotta plan and save a long time.;) Thanks for all the advice, ya'll REALLY help. I'm so glad I found this forum. Thank you.

Liz

Hmmmmm

Personally, I've done better with Canon lenses. I've had Sigma, Tokina and Tamron, but I prefer Canon. In my experience I get better results. Since I purchased 2 "L" lenses (the 17-40mm/f4L and the 200mm/f2.8L), I have to say that I've gotten spoiled. I couldn't afford the more expensive ones, but these 2 lenses are absolutely awesome. I've never had such great results, not just sharp, but the color rendition and contrast can't be beat. I sold a few lenses to get these, and I've never regretted it. I have few lenses, but better glass and I'm very happy with what I have.

Check out the review section here for all the lenses you're interested in - and compare that way also.

IMO, the "L" lenses are the way to go if you can afford it.

Liz

I'm thinkin about the L series lense

I've been comparing the two lenses I was thinking about. I'm really leaning toward the L series lense. Stupid me forgot that with the Rebel's censor you have to multiply the lenses zoom size buy 1.5, so the L series lense...is right in the range. SO, I'm seriously looking into getting that one, but I'm still up for suggestions.

Go for IS

I've been using a Canon 28-105 II on my DReb that I have since April. With the 1.6 factor, that's... well, do the math.

Generally, I'm happy with it, but am wishing for an IS more and more often. Originally thought, bah, I don't need IS, I'm steady, and besides, that's what a tripod is for. But you can't always lug a tripod or set it up, or it just takes too long. As it turns out, when I get slower than about 1/20 sec, it becomes hit or miss for me.

When I was trying to decide between Canon and Sigma, I got different advice from every person. Best advice I got: If you've got the money go for Canon, if you're on a budget go for Sigma.

- Yaron
    Last edited by yaronsh; 07-09-2004 at 08:58 PM.

Frequent Lurker
    I can't speak to most of the other lenses mentioned, but I do have the 70-200f4L and in my opinion, you will be hard pressed to find a comparable lense in the same range for the money. When I first got my copy, I did some comparison shots between that in the 28-80 kit lense that came with my camera. I shot the same scene with the same light with both lenses at about 75mm. Even my non-photographic oriented wife couldn't believe the difference in the shots. The color and "pop" of the 70-200 was obviously better.
    Just my opinion for what it is worth. Congrats on the camera by the way. Still working on the wife on that one. She has this hangup where she likes to eat, put gas in the car and such things like that. Oh well, maybe one day.
    Terry

THESE suggestions are ones...

for a person on a budget.

but,

I would suggest an L lens over these in a HEART BEAT!

If you can make due with the kit lens for a while(while you save) . then DEFINITELY save up for a 70-200L, 70-300IS, or 100-400IS if any of these is the range you DESIRE MOST.

will a tokina 80-400 be as sharp through out it's range as a 100-400IS.....no! but it will be fine for the $800 you saved.

IS image stabilized lens technology something you need? is it worth the extra money to YOU?
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Question a little more help please

Ok, I'm basically totally sold on the Canon 70-200 f/4L. The only question I have is, should I get the tripod mount? It doesn't come with one, but you can order one from canon for $170.00. That seems like a WHOLE lot just for a tripod mount. It's not likely that I'll have enough at the end of the summer to get the tripod mount for the lense. I will have enough to get the lense...in I think 3 weeks. I read that without the tripod mount that the lense can be rough on the camera's lense mount. Is that true? I don't want to mess up the camera by not getting the tripod mount. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

$170???

Quote Originally Posted by tubaman2010
    Ok, I'm basically totally sold on the Canon 70-200 f/4L. The only question I have is, should I get the tripod mount? It doesn't come with one, but you can order one from canon for $170.00. That seems like a WHOLE lot just for a tripod mount. It's not likely that I'll have enough at the end of the summer to get the tripod mount for the lense. I will have enough to get the lense...in I think 3 weeks. I read that without the tripod mount that the lense can be rough on the camera's lense mount. Is that true? I don't want to mess up the camera by not getting the tripod mount. Any thoughts?? Thanks.
    my god! the KIRK replacement collars for nikon lenses are $149 and they are dovetailed too!!!!

that price is rediculous as is the statement of a 2 pound lens being straining on the lens mount.

I walk around for 6-10 hours at a time with a 100-400IS(4 POUNDS) hanging off my camera

yes a lens collar will help even the weight(and better steady the camera) while on a tripod.... so my suggestion is to see if you REALLY need it AFTER you get the lens ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Cool Thanks Paul

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah...I was like shocked when I looked at the price of the tripod mount...I couldn't believe my eyes. $170.00, GOOD GRAVY!!!!!!!!! Anyways, I'm going to just get the lens and a polarising and UV filters and not worry about the tripod mount till later. Thanks. Any suggestions on the filters?? I know, I ask a lot of questions, but I'm new to SLR's so that's the only way I'm going to learn

well it lists for $170.......

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=186247&is=REG

CP.

GREAT PRICE...... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=10885&is=REG

HIGHLY RECOMENDED.... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=116781&is=REG

UV/HAZE/ PROTECTIVE...

only use to me is...... protection from dust/ finger prints on the front element, but they do cut UV/HAZE in SOME situations(very few in my experience)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=11992&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=94132&is=REG

you can find and buy filters at 1/2 the cost, but......

A LENS IS ONLY AS GOOD AS IT'S WEAKEST ELEMENT!!

A second rate filter on a first rate lens is like driving a viper with $29 sears tires on it ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information